Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD Kids Edition Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 250 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 1:15:43 PM PST
A. Malan says:
K. Schieber:

No problem: Diana Gabaldon, Ayn Rand, Julie Garmond, Patricia Cornwell, Janet Evanovich. What can you tell me about the Pern series? What is it about???

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 7:08:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2009 7:08:53 PM PST
K. Schieber says:
Thanks! Love Gabaldon and Evanovich (quite disparate styles but both wonderful). The Pern series sort of starts in the middle of the story, and that's ok in this case because you discover the answers to questions right along with the characters. Ann McCaffrey is very thorough in explaining everything about her world and it's inhabitants (human and non-human alike!) and how they interact - fascinating (not pedantic) and she's got this complicated social system developed and there will be 3 or 4 books about one group of people (the others are in there too but it's not from their perspective) then she'll do a few books from another group. The people have gone through a sort of dark ages and now are re-discovering their origins and purpose and joining forces etc. Good humor, some bits of romance, very rich and multi-layered and original. There, that's the best I can do without giving it all away. : ) I guess it's scifi but it feels almost more like Jean Auel in it's fascinating descriptions of social orders, beliefs, interactions, humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 2:48:01 PM PST
April Polo says:
This discussion seems to have been dead for weeks, but I noticed that some people are tracking it so hopefully I'll get to discuss the book w/ some of you. I'm a 28 y/o SAHM, so I'm glad to see there are other moms that loved the saga as much I did. I used to read all the time before I had my boys (ages 6 and 5), but Twilight was the 1st book I read all the way through in six years. I read the 1st two books, then read what had been posted of MS on SM's website. I quickly devoured the last 2 books and I found myself full of joy, yet saddened that it was all over! I found reading from Edward's POV to be quite mesmerizing, I loved the insight. I got to see how much he truly cares for Bella. I laughed to myself when I compared Bella's POV w/ Edward's and noted they were both totally sure about their love for the other, but not sure of the other's feelings for them. I think many people can relate that insecurity-young and old alike. I truly hope that Stephanie will publish MS and then continue writing the rest of the books from Edward's POV, or even continuing the story of Jacob and Renesmee. I think BD was surprising, but everything fell into place. I found the end to be more than sufficient, though I'll keep my fingers crossed on her continuing the story of Bella, Edward, Jacob, and all the other beloved characters of the Twilight Saga.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 2:53:21 PM PST
April Polo says:
This discussion seems to have been dead for weeks, but I noticed that some people are tracking it so hopefully I'll get to discuss the book w/ some of you. I'm a 28 y/o SAHM, so I'm glad to see there are other moms that loved the saga as much I did. I used to read all the time before I had my boys (ages 6 and 5), but Twilight was the 1st book I read all the way through in six years. I read the 1st two books, then read what had been posted of MS on SM's website. I quickly devoured the last 2 books and I found myself full of joy, yet saddened that it was all over! I found reading from Edward's POV to be quite mesmerizing, I loved the insight. I got to see how much he truly cares for Bella. I laughed to myself when I compared Bella's POV w/ Edward's and noted they were both totally sure about their love for the other, but not sure of the other's feelings for them. I think many people can relate that insecurity-young and old alike. I truly hope that Stephanie will publish MS and then continue writing the rest of the books from Edward's POV, or even continuing the story of Jacob and Renesmee. I think BD was surprising, but everything fell into place. I found the end to be more than sufficient, though I'll keep my fingers crossed on her continuing the story of Bella, Edward, Jacob, and all the other beloved characters of the Twilight Saga.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 4:53:27 PM PST
A. Bruns says:
I hope she writes more too and I can't wait until she decides to finish midnight sun..those chapters that were posted left me hanging...even though I know what happens..its like reading it for the first time all over agian when its in Edwards POV. I wish she would re write all the books in his POV(though I know she won't) there are a few times I wonder what he is thinking in the other books and it drives me crazy not to know!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 5:10:39 PM PST
Esther Irwin says:
Me too! Me too! I love MS. I re-read it all the time, as well as the other books. I also wish SM would write the rest of the series through Edward's eyes. His perspective is so intriguing, it's like "my own personal brand of herion!". I can't get enough!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2009 8:03:25 AM PST
N. Andell says:
April,
I was exactly the same. I am 28, I have 3 kids, and I have not had a chance to read for fun-unless you count childrens's books!) in a long time. I loved the Twilight books and the story. I have read and re-read them and will probably do so for a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 5:35:45 PM PST
sammi says:
Im 14, and my friends and I have been totally obsessed with twilight since around september ish, when i suddenly found myself with all four books. we all read them, and i swear they made their way around the ENTIRE school before i got them back... but anyway. i could not contain myself, though some of my friends managed to, and read what there is of midnight sun online. OMG. it was fantastic. i went through and compared twilight and MS page by page, and i've gotta say they're pretty close!!! whenever i re-read twilight, i can't keep what edward was thinking at that moment out of my head!!! i <3 you stephanie!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you're reading this, know that i love ALL of the books, and i would love to add MS to my collection. if you can ever get back to writing it, just know that you stopped at a crucial moment. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN THE MEADOW, AND WHAT EDWARD THINKS BELLA GETS UPSET ABOUT WHEN THEY'RE HIKING!!! please keep writing!

and i know how many people have written this, but it's true. *rolls eyes*

your true fan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 5:37:47 PM PST
sammi says:
oh, and does anyone know if Steph's publisher has come out with a release date for the guide?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 7:20:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2009 7:23:49 PM PST
Dede & Tobey says:
I wish she would finish Midnight Sun. I don't want to read the "unfinished" text on her site because it would leave me hanging. I really would like to know what Edward was thinking during the course of this saga. There are a lot of holes in his thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 7:24:43 PM PST
Dede & Tobey says:
I am right there with you! I am on my third go around.

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 7:30:07 AM PST
As a woman, SM (and all of her female fans) know what a young girl thinks and feels. How much of a stretch is it to write from, probably, personal experience? (I know, I know ... No one has ever fallen in love with a vampire; it's only fiction. However, every young girl has had a crush/first love experience. It is easy to remember because the emotions were/are so intense for so many of us.)

My point? As a writer, it would be more challenging and produce more creative writing, in my estimation, for SM to write Midnight Sun. I mean, come on, how many of us know what goes on inside a young-looking old soul like Edward Cullen's mind? He is SM's creation, so only she can tell us what/how he thinks.

I think SM, as a writer, would actually feel fulfilled to complete Midnight Sun. That story is churning through her mind, and, as most writers will tell you, it has to come out! Even as a challenging experience, it would require her to be extremely creative since she has no reference from which to draw her writing. (She's a woman, not a vampire!)

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 10:59:49 AM PST
Lisa Marlene says:
This is so fascinating to me. I think this whole maelstrom over Midnight Sun could be an enormous PR boost for the sale of the book, if and when SM decides to publish it. She already has such a devoted fan base that they would likely pay money to read something as ordinary as a journal of her daily activities. Having a portion of this story leaked out won't deter the fans in the slightest, from buying the book Midnight Sun. Aside from feeling betrayed by whoever leaked the story on the internet, how bad could it be....to re-write a book that, in reality, has already been published (the same story line), and sold millions, albeit from a slighty different perspective? She can almost guarantee that every one of her millions of fans would buy, read and re-read Midnight Sun, regardless of whether they had read a couple chapters on the internet before it was actually released?(count me in!). I imagine she is still very angry and resentful of the person who betrayed her (she eluded to the fact that she knows who it is). I hope she sues, for potential loss of income and copyright infringement, or whatever else she can....But to walk away from millions of dollars in potential sales/royalties from Midnight Sun...that would be a poor financial decision...is money really NO object at all? She is an author, but also a business woman, afterall. I think that the more her fans beg for it, the more obvious it would become that she should write the book. Heck, if she chooses not to, let ME take it over and finish it....I could DEFINATELY use the money! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 11:43:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2009 11:45:13 AM PST
just a quick thought re "...how bad could it be....to re-write a book that, in reality, has already been published (the same story line), and sold millions, albeit from a slighty different perspective?"

Although the story line is similar, this is a very different book with a very different view point with events and interactions that are unseen/hidden in "Twilight". It's what I especially like about "Midnight Sun" - finding out the unexposed/hidden thoughts, interactions and motivations of Edward and the Cullens and how they impact my experience of the story and my relationship as a reader to the characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 12:35:42 PM PST
N. Andell says:
I agree with S. Coury, and it is a thought I have had since reading the MS myself. I think that MS gives the story a lot of depth. People love S.Meyer's characters and the story of Edward and Bella. MS is not just Edward's POV, it gives us insight to how the Cullen's really reacted to Bella and all that went on. It also lets us into the minds of everyone in Forks as the story unfolded. It is a really cool perspective-and it feeds the hunger you have when you finish the other books. Who wouldn't want to read more of that?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 2:18:36 PM PST
K. Schieber says:
Absolutely, N.Andell! Ditto everything you said! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 2:19:10 PM PST
K. Schieber says:
PS I think that was my most succinct post EVER! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 2:26:51 PM PST
forgot to add that reading MS really enhanced my re-reads of the other four books -- even more enjoyment and insights.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 2:39:41 PM PST
N. Andell says:
K.-
I think you might be right! ;P

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 9:25:28 AM PST
K. Schieber says:
S. C. - I totally agree! enriched, enhanced, stirred up my interest again and prompted more questions about his perspective and thoughts at other points in the story!

I think that those of us who read the books basically all in one bite, as opposed to having to wait for a year between books, are especially impatient and excited for SM to finish this MS story! I'm such a glutton! (I'll just speak for myself) :)

N. A. - I think I was just so starved for adult discussion of the books, for so long, that it all comes pouring out when I have the chance! :) Plus, no one has ever accused me of not having an opinion about something. Esp. books! :) And discussing books with other enthusiasts is ALWAYS wonderful! Thanks, ya'll!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 10:25:05 AM PST
Esther Irwin says:
I had to smile at your post. Having an opinion and discussing all things Twilight with adults is wonderful. Sometimes talking with "teeny-boppers" makes me feel old - no offense young ladies! Twilight brings us all together. I recently joined TwilightMoms.com, which is an awesome sight. If you haven't already, check it out and join if you are interested. They have a whole section of post topics on MS. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 11:39:58 AM PST
K. Schieber says:
Thank you, E.I. - I believe I shall. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 12:50:55 PM PST
N. Andell says:
K:
I agree with you 100%. That is why i have continued to participate on these blogs. I like seeing the opinions of others and knowing that I am not alone in my attachment to these books!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2009 11:12:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2009 11:16:07 AM PST
R. Hunt says:
I think people would be very surprised to find out how many "mature" fans Twilight has.

We're not old. We've just been 17 for ... a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2009 11:28:36 AM PST
Esther Irwin says:
Yeah - that's it, we've just been 17....for a while. I like that. It's my new line. "How old are you ma'am?"
"I'm 17."
"And how long have you been 17?"
"A while."

I love it. Thanks for that!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  122
Total posts:  250
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2008
Latest post:  May 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide
The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide by Stephenie Meyer (Hardcover - April 12, 2011)
4.2 out of 5 stars (278)