Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Format: DVD|Change

on May 6, 2012
I have bought and watched all 20 seasons and loved every one. Each time the side kick was replaced, I thought I would never like anyone as much as I liked the previous one, but I did. They were great. They were all entertaining in their own way. It was a relief to have a cop show where the wife is (as usual) fed up with his schedule, but their marriage is happy anyway. I watch shows like this to escape from reality, and it's nice to not have to endure somebody else's bad marriage for a change. I thought the murders were creative, the cast in every episode was great, the scenery was beautiful, the acting was perfect, the writing was perfect, and I didn't really care who did it, because I enjoyed the getting there so much. I had a lot of fun watching these, and will watch the whole thing again someday. If there was a 10 star rating, I would have given it that.
11 comment|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2013
Midsomer Murders is one of my favorite British mystery series. It is clever, entertaining, witty, beautifully filmed, the main characters are interesting and likeable the plots are intriguing and well thought out. It is a highly enjoyable viewing experience. I have really enjoyed watching the series for free as part of my Prime membership. Suddenly I discovered without any warning that my favorite episodes were no longer free but for sale at the exorbitant price of 8.99 per episode. I was extremely disappointed by the change and incensed by the lack of notice about the changed status of the product. Despite my feelings that Amazon was playing fast and loose with my Prime membership, I was still willing to slowly continue to add certain individual episodes to my collection of favorites by purchasing them here and there.Only to subsequently discover that not only couldn't I watch them for free anymore, but neither could I buy individual episodes even for the outrageously exorbitant price of 8.99 per episode but I had to purchase an entire season wanted and unwanted episodes alike in order to view my previously free episodes. Just as I was pondering the injustice of this maneuver and adding insult to injury I NOW find out that Amazon has deemed certain seasons of the series no longer available for purchase altogether. Fie on you Amazon this is a terrible abuse of loyal customers first you try to gouge them for something advertised as free, then you attempt to coerce them into buying portions of the series they don't want just to watch the ones they do, and NOW you completely and arbitrarily remove the previously offered item without any notice or explanation. For shame Amazon! This is deceitful and faithless of you. You will not keep your customers by abusing them in this manner. I am a long time customer from the time when all you sold was books and I am most aggrieved. You need to rectify this situation immediately and see that it does not recur.
77 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2013
I wanted to re-watch a episode that I had missed and found that as of 1/23/13 this show is no longer being offered as Prime. It is now $8.00 per episode. Very disappointing to those of us who had not yet completed watching the earlier shows.
1010 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2010
An excellent show that as an ex pat englishman provides great memories of real english characters who provide gentle English humour in the beautiful villages and scenery of home with on the whole well thought out and engaging story lines. A little expensive perhaps but generally well worth it.
on June 23, 2011
I have long enjoyed this quirky British mystery show with its over-the-top killings in a bucolic setting. Now that the shows are available for free with Prime membership, I can watch the shows in order - instead of randomly. It is a treat to see the very young John Nettles and see how much the show and the cast have matured over the years.
on January 24, 2013
I was in the middle of Season 8, and all of the sudden these are not available on Prime Instant Video? What's going on? I was really enjoying watching this.
on July 16, 2011
Tom Barnaby always has an interesting slant on the crimes. Assisted by his not-so-able sergeant, he pieces together whatever sinister goings-on are about in the English countryside. Always beautifully shot, and always entertaining, these easily surpass US TV detective fiction for production values and "cheek".

Tom is also assisted by his wife Joyce who often unwittingly supplies clues; connected as she is to all the Midsomer area events, clubs, and gossip. Occasional visits from struggling-actress-daughter Cully manage to place a family backdrop on Tom's work.
VINE VOICEon December 21, 2011
DCI Barnaby is an interesting character and charmed us with his laid back style of solving mysteries. The scenery is lovely and typically British and the acting measures up to the usual high standards of British TV. This series is extensive and so far has avoided the pitfall of too much depravity to the point of spoiling the whole effect.

I recommend this series for the family.
on February 28, 2016
Tom Barnaby (John Nettles) works with his homophobic partner Sgt Troy (Daniel Casey) to solve murders in the fictitious county of Midsomer England. There are five cases in the first series. The murders are interspersed with scenes of Barnaby’s home life. He has a daughter (Laura Howard as Cully Barnaby) who aspires to be an actress and a wife (Jane Wymark as Joyce Barnaby) given to unsuccessful experiments with cooking. The writers managed to work gay characters into four of the five episodes, allowing Sgt Troy to demonstrate his extreme disdain for people in the LGBT community. As played by Daniel Casey, Sgt Troy is a fatuous dolt who can’t drive yet Barnaby will keep allowing him to do so (he’s taken the “driving course” four or five times. “That driving course, did you ever finish it?”). It isn’t until episode three (Death of a Hollow Man) that Sgt Troy accidentally points out something useful. Otherwise, he’s comic relief.

Highly entertaining, I enjoyed every episode and look forward to watching more.
on January 25, 2016
My wife and I love this series -- the plots are a bit bizarre but that only keeps us guessing further into each episode. The acting is great, the interplay between Chief Inspector Barnaby and his Detective Sergeant Troy is fun to watch. It seems that the only family which is normal in this mythical part of England are the Barnabys. All the other families in the different episodes have something to hide, which makes it all the more fun to watch to try to figure out which family secrets are germane to the plot and which are just there as red herrings.