Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on December 17, 2012
Most of these games have been released in one of Midway's prior arcade collections for a multitude of consoles and handhelds. But this is the first Midway arcade compilation for the Xbox 360. Here is a complete rundown of the games for this collection:

A.P.B.
Vindicators Part II
Wizard of Wor
Xenophobe
Xybots

The main upgrades over previous Midway collections include faster load times, Achievement support, and Leaderboards. Otherwise these are the same fun retro arcade games from the bygone days. Worth picking up if you are a fan of classic arcade gaming.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 25, 2012
I am avid gaming enthusiast who played games for over sixteen years. I also worked in the industry of gaming. After having played dozens of modern games on all current gen systems I've began to lean toward classics to give me some gaming diversity and to experience historical gaming.

As you may know Midway as a company does not exist now. They bankrupted sometime in 07 or 08 and the brand was eventually purchased by Warner Brothers who are now the owner and publisher of all Midway games. Until Midway went down Xbox Live had very nice versions of Midway games in digital download form. They were made by Digital Eclipse and were very nice. They always gave a perfectly emulated original game as well as newer and "improved" versions with higher definition art and backgrounds. These versions were taken off XBLA and for some time no one had access to Robotron 2084, Smash TV, Joust, etc etc.

This collection of games is developed for WB by somewhat legendary developer Backbone Entertainment who made collections of Sega games and other retro games before. They are all well emulated versions of original games. They have good screen options and background selections, but the actual games are just identical original games. You do not get options to play any kind of "improved" or HD versions of the classic games. Just a lot of original games.

I have to give this game 4 out of 5 because the original classics are all well done and emulated, have leaderboards, and decent controls. But since there are no improvements of any kind at all such as was done before by Digital Eclipse for XBLA a star has to be taken away.

I had to get it because currently it is the only way to play Midway games on modern consoles.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 10, 2013
I'll keep this short. The emulations are spot on perfect. The game list contains some of the best action games of the arcade "glory days". The menu is simple, intuitive and works nicely. Many of these arcade compilations have been released in the past, this is one of the few in true, brilliant 1080p high definition, looks amazing on my big screen Samsung LCD (the prior PS2, Gamecube, etc generation releases looks fairly crappy on a newer HDTV). The experience is particularly fun when using external speakers (i.e. soundbar, home theater, etc), feels like standing in an arcade in the old days. This collection has inspired me to pick up an xbox 360 adapter for my x-arcade. The stock xbox 360 controller works nicely, particularly with dual-joystick games like Robotron and Smash TV. Last but not least, the budget price on this game makes it a no-brainer. I highly recommend this game to all those who remember the old arcade days fondly, or to newer gamers who want to experience the history of gaming in a nice, high definition package.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2012
but really lacks in so many others. Judging by how quickly the game installs to the hard drive of my xbox 360, I definitely think they could have added quite a few more titles...However, for 30$, it's still a steal. Definitely kicks back the memory to yesteryear. It does seem to have a few quirks though. Numerous times my sound would cut out in mid game, but would come back after the level was over...Also, many fun aspects of the game are missing from some of the games as well..A few good examples are:

In Pitfighter, your opponent doesn't taunt you and in Rampage, it is impossible to change your character if you continue the game after being killed. The achievements are also insanely easy to get.

Also, it can be very hard at times with certain games to adapt to the 360 controller as far as general flow of the game.

Overall, it's a good game and it delivers 99% of what it should (sound cutting out really bugged me though). I would still highly recommend this game if either you want to recapture your gaming youth, or even check out what all the fuss of the past is about. Some very exciting titles in it and for a few dollars per title, you can't really beat it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2013
If you are about my age mid 30's and can remember as a youngster putting all your quarters or tokens in these arcade games back in the day? Then you will appreciate this collection of games you get for only $20. I hope they come out with more arcade games like this. For all the games you get this is a smoking deal. Amazon has the best price around and I got the games super fast.

I rate the following games:

720° 10 out to 10 Skate of Die
A.P.B. 8 out 10 due to controls This game used to eat all my quarters for like 2 min of game play
Arch Rivals 10 out 10 Who does not like punching basketball players with green mohawks
Bubbles 5 out 10 strange game. Ants and bubbles WTF?
Championship Sprint 10 out of 10. Controls are super hard to get used too. Not like the easy Nintendo NES.
Tournament Cyberball 2072 10 out 10. This game used to intimidate me as a youngster and eat my tokens.
Defender 10 out 10 super retro fun
Defender 2 9 out 10
Gauntlet 10 out 10 Elf needs food badly (I would pay $20 just for this game alone)
Gauntlet 2 10 out of 10
Joust 10 out 10 Retro game fun always without the cigarette burn holes on the arcade buttons
Joust 2 10 out 10
Marble Madness 8 out 10 if you like this kind of stuff?
Pit-Fighter 10 out of 10 Kato, Ty, Buzz, nothing says I love you more than getting stabbed by the crowd/
Rampage 10 out 10 Eating people, smashing buildings, eating each other....oh yeah super fun.
Rampart 10 out 10 I still hate this game because it is soo hard but super fun
Robotron 2084 10 out 10 I loved this game. I wish they did food fight too!!!
Root Beer Tapper 10 out 10. Whats up with the guy who shakes the cans and makes u open them? LOL
Satan's Hollow 10 out 10 very strange Galaga style game but with Satan and lots of fire and green birds
Sinistar 10 out 10. This game still scars the crap out of me and brings back nightmares as a child. There would be a class action lawsuit if they allowed this in Chucke Cheese.
Smash TV 10 out 10 I would buy that for a dollar all day every day
Spy Hunter 10 out 10 just for the music alone. Ate all my tokens as a child.
Spy Hunter 2 0 out 10 this game is garbage. It was torture to play for 15 minutes just to get achievement YUCK
Super Off Road 10 out 10 Loved this game as a youth and controls just as wacked out as I remember them
Super Sprint 10 out of 10
Toobin' 10 out 10
Total Carnage 10 out 10 Big money, Big Prizes, I love it!!!
Vindicators Part 2 5 out 10. This game sucks and controls are all crazy just like back in the day.
Wizard of War 10 out 10. Scary fun game. Use your radar knight....Super robotic voice... LOL
Xenophobe 10 out of 10. This game is just straight up Alien the movie fun in a comic book way.
Xybots 10 out 10
on January 17, 2013
I already own Capcom Digital Collection and Namco Museum Virtual Arcade, so it goes without saying that I enjoy retro gaming. I was tempted to preorder Midway Arcade Origins but held off because the price of $29 seemed a bit high. When the price fell to $19 I got it and am happy with the purchase. None of the individual titles will get hours of stand alone game play but as a whole it is well worth owning.
on December 27, 2012
This disc has 30 games but, I can think of 20 or so that Midway left off. That is really my only complaint, there is plenty of space on the disc, and WB should have tried to fill it up. Since they decided to put 30 games on the disc, there aren't enough games to make another disc of 30. The games themselves are pretty fun and there is a wide variety. Some games are suited for console controllers while others aren't.
on February 27, 2014
Finally some games that I can compete with against my children. They actually think some of the graphics are hilarious (antiquated). The games definitely do not play the way they did in the arcade (only so much a modern day controler can do to replicate the joy stick functions of an arcade game), but it is not a bad attempt.
on July 11, 2013
I was glad to see that Midway released a compilation of their arcade hits to the Xbox 360, but was disappointed to find that they were missing some very good games. This collection has all of the main classics you'd expect like Defender, Joust, Spy Hunter, Sinistar, & so forth which are good games, no doubt. However, what was lacking were the major arcade titles that would have made this collection even better.

First, I'll list the titles that come with this release. Those titles are:
1. 720°
28. Vindicators Part II
29. Wizard of Wor
30. Xenophobe
31. Xybots

Truthfully, that's not a bad line up of games, but why stop there? Midway could have easily added more titles to this collection. I personally would have included Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Hydro Thunder, Primal Rage, Narc, Roadblasters, Klax, Vindicators (don't know why they put part 2 without part 1), Badlands, Paperboy, Hard Drivin', Race Drivin', & Super Off Road: Track Pack. While it would have been outdated, I would have loved to have seen them include NBA Jam & NBA Jam: Tournament Edition.

I like the way they have the arcade borders set up when you're playing the game to give it an arcade feel, but at the same time, they should have included an option to allow you to stretch the picture to fit your screen. For example: If you try playing Spy Hunter on a wide screen TV, the actual game screen looks so small. The borders take up most of the screen.

This isn't a bad collection, but I just think that Midway could have done a better job releasing a classic game compilation. Adding the major titles from the early 90's & the ones they left out would have made this an awesome compilation. The screen adjustment is the other downside, but beyond that its still not a bad collection. If you're a fan of the older arcade games & especially the Midway releases, this collection isn't bad for the money you pay, but don't expect anything new. If you still own an Xbox or PS2 & you own Midway Arcade Treasures Volumes 1 - 3, then you have a bigger collection of games than you do with this compilation. I give it a 3 out of 5 star rating.
on January 18, 2014
If you like to play old school arcade games, this disc contains most of the old Williams' titles from the early 80's through the mid 90's. It lacks a few games that I was hoping would be on it but the ones that are, really bring back memories and the conversion of arcade controls to the Xbox 360 controls is a pretty smooth transition! There is also an achievement for every game on the CD, so it makes it fun to play every game, even if you don't like the game and just want the achievement, there are a lot of points to be made with this game!