5.0 out of 5 stars Great cage for your average everyday Guinea pig owner
Published on October 20, 2011 by Reaper

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, short on execution...
Published on June 2, 2009 by A. M. Morse

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cage for your average everyday Guinea pig owner, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
I wanted to review this product as your average everyday pet owner. My kids got two Guinea pigs about 2 months ago and we had them in a large borrowed pet store type cage. They were small at the time and knew this cage would be temporary until we could find a better one. I do not have half a room to make a huge home made cage that many people have done and just wanted something that they could have more room in to move around, exerise and eat. After searching the internet I came across this Midwest cage and knew this was the cage for our pigs. I ordered through Amazon for about half the price($57) of a pet store cage and got it setup. I was so happy to see the size of the cage and knew how much more the pigs would like this cage. It also looks very nice as its not as tall as most pet store cages. I have read through all the 51 reviews on this cage and the other 81 on the expansion cage and want to make sure I put some things to bed. This cage is a sturdy cage. It went together very easily and had it setup in less than 10 minutes with the divider and cover. I did not have to use any other ties other than the ones that came with the product. The velcro was easy to attached the cage also and I don't understand how some people have such a problem putting this together as its very easy. I use a thick towel in one end with bedding for the feeding area and in the other large play area a thick rug and fleece over it. It makes it very easy to clean up poo daily off the fleece. I have an extra fleece, towel and rug to replace every few days while one is in the washer. This saves money on the bedding as I am not buying as much anymore and it also keeps the cage cleaner and smelling better. My pigs love the cage. They were popcorning like crazy nuts when I put them in there. They have so much more room now to roam while in the cage. I ended up having a couple end tables that I put together and covered with a nice table cloth and the cage fit perfect on it. Check the size dimensions before you buy as it is large. The only issue I had was my water bottle did not sit at the level I wanted it to due to the cage bar height, but I rigged something up for it to work. I highly recommend this product as you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guinea Pig Mansion, August 14, 2012
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
Whoa!!! This thing is huge! I purchased this cage for my two baby girls, CoCo and Pebbles. This is not your conventional cage, meaning that you really can't just pick this up and move it about. With a little patience I am able to drag mine a bit, but forget about picking it up. But so what? Even if the cage were more sturdy it's highly unlikely that I would be moving it from room to room. That being said this thing is awesome!! My little girls love to run laps around the play area and it has toys and two large hide aways. They also have learned to poop in the area where the food, water and hay is located. I've found a few poops in the play area but the majority of them are in the "kitchen". I had originally used fleece for the play area and wood chips for the kitchen, but I found it was must easier to just keep the fleece clean in there. My babies are big eaters, and big poopers. They are tiny little girls, less than a month old, but boy can they poop! I simply vaccum the cage twice a day. Once before I leave for work and when I return. Having a way to close off the areas makes this very easy. I close them in on either side while I clean the other. I plan to remove everything for washing every four days. I did make the mistake of using fabric softner the first wash (creature of habit) but know that to treat the fleece it needs to be washed without softer. This allows the moisture to drain right thru to the towels I placed beneath it. In addition to towels I put a layer of puppy pads and newspaper on top of that, as I don't want to stain and decrease the life of the canvas with urine and too frequent washings.

My only cons are actually pros:

This thing is huge. I couldn't put it where I had planned but they don't care. They like being in the center of my living room where all the action is.

Buying the fleece. Went to Walmart and they had so many adorable patterns I didn't know which to choose, so I got a few adorable ones that make the cage look even more attactive.

Not really great for cedar litter. But who cares because fleece is a much better alternative. It looks better. It's not messy. It's easier to clean. It's cost effective. I can vaccum the poop off fleece. Just try doing that with traditional bedding. I think it would be a nightmare to clean this thing if I didn't use fleece.

Lastly, I was gonna buy one of those hay cages to keep the hay off the floor, but they wanted a lot for that cheap plastic. So I took a small rectangular plastic food storage container and poked two holes in the back so I could use a zip tie and connect it to the cage. I took the lid for the container and cut a large enough opening so the piggies would have access to the hay. I filled it with hay, placed on the lid and attached it to the cage. Very attractive and neat!

You simply can't do better for the price. I love this cage and I actually feel sorry the poor little piggies housed in those smaller cages. A few people don't like it. But hey, you can't please everyone. It works for me and the girls. Highy recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't get the top separately..., June 11, 2009
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
Okay, so it's not really as big as I was hoping for, it's not really 9sq ft, it's really 8. This is big since I was getting it for a rabbit and I'll probably end up buying another. So far though, it's pretty classy and I would argue that it's one of the best on the market. You can't do all the cool alterations to it though unless you have more than one. Big thing though, don't waste your money getting the top as well since it comes with one! I bought it because amazon offered them together and it was an accessory. But all of the "accessories" come with the plus (maybe that's the real reason it's plus).

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, short on execution..., June 2, 2009
A. M. Morse (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
I love the idea behind this item: lots of space, divider to save on bedding, nice little in-and-out ramps, a clean look, etc. Clearly this is a company that has done the research and attempted to make a product suitable for guinea pigs--something largely lacking in the pre-made cage market. But this product comes up short on execution. The PVC bottom is a main culprit. First, the thing is somewhat low, leading to lots of bedding material winding up all over the floor. Detaching the bottom (which holds to the main frame via velcro) is annoying. The PVC is said to be designed for good traction for guinea pig feet, and I'm sure this is true, but it's also VERY difficult to clean once waste materials get imbedded into it. An outside hose of some kind and a scrubbing brush or some such are musts to get into all the miniscule nooks and crannies. Even with that, it's hard to make it look 100% clean (and bear in mind, at this point, I've only had this item in use for just over a week!).

For one guinea pig, this would probably be an excellent solution, especially if you can really get your pet to utilize one specific area for waste. But for multiple animals, or 1 that doesn't have great "waste disposal" habits, this may not really be a great solution for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CAGE!!!, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
Arrived at the speed of light! A snap to assemble. My pigs LOVE it! they have extra room. I used the "sectioned off" part as a "retirement home" for my elder pig. The other 2 have room to race around on their side, she has room to walk around and stretch her legs between eating and napping.

It is super easy to clean. It has a soft bottom so you do need to have a hard flat surface under it. I have it on several plastic storage bins with a sheet of heavy duty cardboard on top of them.

We can see them better and they can see out better. Their other cage was too high and difficult to clean or to take a pig out.

I've had piggies for 15 yrs and this was the best cage I ever purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without a doubt, the best cage for guinea pigs!, July 27, 2011
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
I am in love with this cage! It did require a little assembly, but I figured it out without instructions. The bottom has velcro straps to attach to the metal bars. The plus includes the divider (has a ramp), ramp cover, the cage, the bottom (canvas, I think?), the lid, and instructions. My 2 guinea pigs Lulu and Ceecee love their cage! The divider is recommended to divide the cage into 1/3 and 2/3. The one third is for putting bedding in, along with their food and water. It tells you in the instructions how guinea pigs, when given a separate area for eating/drinking, will generally do their business in that area. Of course, they will still do their business in the other 2/3 of the cage also, but for the most part, it's fine to just bed the eating area. This will also save you in buying bedding! One slight con is that my water bottle didn't exactly fit in since there are only a few horizontal wires. I jerryrigged it to attach to the lid, and it works just fine. I clean the cage once a week, pick up the canvas cover and dump it in the trash can. I spend a few minutes cleaning off the pee with paper towels. There is a bit of labor, attaching and unattaching the bottom. But this cage is AMAZING, and your guinea pigs will love all of the space! It's recommended that 2 guinea pigs get about 7.5 square feet of space, so this cage is perfect! Oh, one last note, there are 2 side doors and the top can come completely off, so it's easy to reach the guineas! If you have multiple guinea pigs, I would definitely recommend this cage to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Midwest Interactive Guinea Habit Plus Review, July 20, 2011
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
The delivery was very fast and reliable for it to be free shipping. Only took 6 days start to finish. I love how easy it was to set up right out of the box. You can pretty much just look at and tell how to put it together. I went to Walmart and bought 4 yards of fleece fabric. When I got home i laid the cage on the floor so the bottom would be completely flat. (the cage doesn't have a wire bottom) I laid 2 newspapers worth of paper in the bottom, then laid 2 old thick towels in, then finally covered the blue green tarp bottom with 2 of the 4 yards of fleece i bought. The only hard thing was cutting all the holes in the fleece for the little black Velcro straps to go through. Then just cut off the extra fleece hanging from the bottom of the cage and snapped all the Velcro together and that was it. Also I figured out that if you don't have any pets that will mess with them you can use the top that comes with the cage as the bottom. It has little metal snaps that hold it securely to the bottom of the cage. That is how i have mine so it is easier it lift when I'm cleaning the cage. I think it makes it more stable. It makes my guinea pigs more sociable too!! I LOVE THIS CAGE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guinea Pig Habitat, June 5, 2009
G. Wong (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
Great Habitat for our Guinea Pig. We think he's much happier in his spacious environs. Easy to set up. Lots of room for food bowl, house, tube and hay dispenser.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cage but needs a bottom, July 25, 2013
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
We decided to get our daughter a guinea pig last week and went to the pet store where she picked out Darla. We bought the whole list of supplies and the 28"x17" pet store cage. When we got home we cleared a spot on the dresser and set everything up. Immediately I felt bad for the little piggy in that small cage. What was I thinking? So I did some more research and found the Midwest Habitat Plus and ordered it from Amazon (was only $5 more than the small pet store cage).

Most of the negative reviews are based around the cage not having a solid bottom and as the dresser we wanted to put the cage on is about 8" too narrow I was already planning on fabricating a rigid base for it. It took me $16 at Home Depot and a half hour to set it up as a full "cage" with hard bottom. The final project is well worth the money and still less than most of the same size C&C cages I found. Our piggie loved the cage so much having all that extra space we decided to get her a roommate named Alfalfa (yes, they are both female, but our daughter is in love with the little rascals) Here are instructions on how we made the rigid base. I have pictures but can't seem to find where to upload them to on the review.

Materials needed:
3/8" Sanded Plywood 4'x2' $10
Six steel 1" 90 degree brackets $3 (these were in the lumber section of home depot
1/2" wood screws $3 (box of 100)

Instructions:
1) Screw the brackets onto the top of the plywood so the vertical part is near the edge of the wood. 1 on each short end and 2 on each long side
2) Place cage on the plywood inside of the brackets
3) Ziptie the cage to the brackets
4) Insert Lining
5) Enjoy your new cage :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cage!, July 14, 2010
This review is from: Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus (Misc.)
I have really been liking this cage. It's extremely big and I don't find it more difficult to clean than a regular cage (other than that it's bigger). But, by far, my favorite thing about this cage is how versatile it is. I was able to hook up the old cage to it by building a ramp (using the door from the guinea habitat cage and then flipping around the door to the old cage, and putting them together). This meant that (1) my old cage didn't go to waste and (2) guineas have an additional 4 feet of space and (3) I could put all the food/water in the old cage, so they'd primarily poop in there. Then I wanted to give my guineas even more run around space so I used the other door to make a ramp into a large bin. I did this by using a door from the divider piece (which I haven't been using) and attaching it backwards to the 2nd door of the cage to lead into the bin. Now, my guineas can run around the bin too. Especially nice is that I can close these door and keep the guineas in one area if I'm cleaning the other, or if I have to move them around (the habitat is too flimsy to carry with the guineas in it, so I move them in the little cage). My guineas have been popcorning and running around their new home happily. With just a little innovation, I've been able to expand this 8 ft cage to be twice as big now using stuff I already had (old cage + large bin). BTW - the guineas had to get used to using a ramp, but they mastered it within a few hours and now they run from one section of the cage to another.

My only criticisms of this cage are (1) it's a bit flimsy. This is not a big deal for me or the guineas (they don't shake the walls or anything), but I do need to warn small children not to put their weight on the cage. And (2) putting it together with the straps in annoying (but not difficult). But again, you don't have to do that often, only when you're initially setting it up and if you move it or decide to launder the tarp (I don't, I use newspaper on the bottom and wood shaving so the tarp doesn't get dirty).

I highly recommend this cage - and the price is unbeatable (this is cheaper than the cages for guinea pigs they sell in stores).

Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus