Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Size: 36-InchStyle: Double-DoorPackage Type: Frustration-Free PackagingChange

on March 22, 2013
Having raised and cage trained many dogs from pups, we've usually given the bulky cages away after successful house breaking. We found this to be the best we have owned over the years because:

1) Cage is very sturdy. Others we have used have had much thinner and more easily bent wire.
2) Two doors. Inevitably you need to place the cage in a position where a side door is needed.
3) Divider to constrain puppies. A divider is the way to train a small pup, limiting their ability to relieve themselves to only where they rest. They get it much more quickly. In every other situation, I built my own divider out of plywood. This would have saved me construction time and readjusting as they grew. Another suggestion - Don't use towels or blankets that might absorb urine during taining. Once or twice and your dog "gets it." Introduce a blanket or pad only after they are trustworthy in the crate.
4) Best fold and setup of any cage I have owned.
5) Price. Checked out three big box pet stores. This was a better value for all the items above at a lower price.
6) Liked the plastic tray for our situation as our dog is house broken and not a chewer. Think a metal insert might have been better for pups.

1) Rough spots on wire end edge at doorways. I used a fine file to smooth out the sharp edges I found on several wire ends. The manufacturer should have done the same smoothing they used on the corners at the door openings.
2) Clips not fully closed. There are metal clips that act as hinges for set up and fold down. Several were not completely clamped close, again making an unsafe edge for you or your pet. A pliers made quick work of that problem.

I really wanted to give this product a five. But I just felt the slight safety issue was significant enough to mark it down to a four. No blood should ever be spilled by either pet or owner.

Update: The manufacturer contacted me via Email on this issue. Manufacturing mgmt wanted the date code off the unit to remedy the problem I am very impressed by their followup and attention to Amazon comments!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2012
We purchased this crate as an economical way to move two cats across country. We're currently preparing to be moved by the military from the Raleigh, NC area to Las Vegas, NV. The military will move our house hold goods but not our vehicles or pets, which leaves us forced to move the cats by car and SUV. After researching airline tickets to fly the cats, we were looking at nearly $1,000 to move them. For this crate at less than $100, we're now looking at only a fraction of the cost.

Our trips to the vet, only 5 miles away have proven nerve racking because the cats are uncomfortable in our smaller, plastic pet carrier. After the 10 minute trips to the vet filled with high pitched meowing, more like shrill feline cries of impending doom, we decided we needed to purchase something different for the upcoming 4 day road trip. We then tried a larger crate that allowed room for the cats to travel together, which has greatly reduced the amount of noise they make while in the car together. This has made the trips to the vet much more pleasant but still isn't practical enough for our upcoming move.

After measuring the cargo capacity of our Toyota Rav 4, we finally decided on the 42"x28"x31" crate. This size allows room for both cats to lay down without being on top of each other, and room for a litter box for their long journey. We unpacked and assembled the crate when it arrived and found a center divider panel that can turn this large crate into 2 separate compartments for smaller puppies, I presume. Instead of making 2 smaller compartments, we turned the divider sideways and zip tied it in place to make a nice elevated shelf, which essentially adds about 50% more space for them to sprawl out! We still have about 1 month before we move but we've already set the crate up and put their bedding and an empty litter box in the crate so they can get accustomed to it before the move. So far they love it, and I've uploaded an image showing the set up.

As far as the construction of the crate, it appears very well built and sturdy and I have no concerns as far as packing light items on top of the crate during the move. It will not serve us any purpose once we get to the other side of the country, but for now it is the most economical and least stressful way we can find to move two cats 2,500 miles by car.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2006
If you have a medium sized doggie and are looking for a crate because you live in an apartment, this particular model is a good choice. Crate training is amazingly simple (just don't use it for punishment--make it a happy experience when your puppy go into his crate). We have been using this for two months, and he takes to it easily.

1. Easy to put together and fold away. Solid black e-coat steel wire, conjoined with small metal plates with welded corners facing out. It comes with a slightly smaller divider that you can hook to the insides of the crate. As our puppy got bigger, we moved the divider and eventually removed it.

2. The two doors (one on the long end is off-centered) are not removable and opens only one way so it's not omni-directional when you place it in tight spaces. You may want to check out some crates with three doors if so.

3. The bottom tray is made of black-composite plastic material, easy to wipe clean and slide out from under the short end of the door.

4. I like the double latch, but some people may find it a little more work to open and close day-to-day.

5. If you buy a crate cover, check out Cratewear Pet Dreams 3-Piece (which fits this model well, but only work with the door on the short end).

6. For this price, it's a good crate to highly consider because your goal is to have a sanctuary for your puppy (for time out and quiet-time) and to housebreak your dog and/or temperate from negative behavior (such as chewing furniture, etc.)

I hope this review is helpful for you.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2007
I am very pleased with this crate. It erected easily within moments, is extremely sturdy and big enough for all but, possibly, the giant breeds. My Rottweiler can lie down stretched out, if that is her preference, and can stand up without hunching over. She loves this crate far better than her plastic airline type crate as she has better visibility and I believe that she feels less confined. It is also much cooler in the heat of the summer than the plastic crate.

The only caveat that I would add is, if your pooch is an escape artist, you might want to put an additional clip or two on the door. The fasteners are fine for most dogs but I know my Border Collie would figure a way to open that door in no time flat. This is not a major criticism, by any means---I heartily recommend this crate. Also, the price is good when you consider the free shipping. I've seen this item listed for much less money but by the time you add the shipping (this crate is heavy!), you will pay the same or more. Also, it arrived in about a week so no complaints there.
on September 26, 2011
This crate is really sturdy! I was looking for a crate at my local pet super stores. All across the board, the prices for crates were so expensive! I ran into this one on Amazon for a much lower price and based on the reviews, I bought it. It came quick and set up was a snap! I got the 36" and that was too big for my bulldog puppy. The great thing about this is that it's got an attachable room divider so it keeps the pup nice and cozy. That was an added surprise! I took a good foot of space out of the crate and made my pup feel much better. I also recommend getting a pad for them (like the Midwest Quiet Time Pet Bed). Overall, great value, Easy to set up (5 Minutes or less), Comes with handles, has two doors, and is built tough.
on December 21, 2005
I bought this crate for my 30-lb beagle/terrier mix dog and it's great. It folds up in a cinch (it's literally 3 steps and takes about 10 seconds max) and has carry handles on the side, so it's really easy to transport. I like having the 2 doors so I have options of how I can place the crate in a room. There are latches on the top and bottom of each door so it's very secure. Great crate!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2012
I bought 2 of the 42x28x31" crates for a 60 lb border collie mix, and a 50 lb pitbull/lab mix. They are extremely easy to set up, and roomy enough for both dogs to stretch out. The crates are properly assembled according to the instructions, but both dogs have figured out how to break out without opening the front door, which I'm guessing is why they're so much cheaper than similar crates.

The border collie will put all her weight on the top rear corner, and because of the collapsible design and the hinged walls, the stress pops a couple latches loose, detaching one corner of the back panel from the rest of the frame. She has this down to a science, and will break out within minutes of me leaving the room. It looks like the other dog just pushed on the front panel until it warped and popped right off (the metal is very bendable). It's warped to the point where the latches don't even line up now.

I was really pleased with the crates for the first week or so, and the dogs love them while I'm here, but I wouldn't recommend this particular crate for clever and/or stronger dogs with separation anxiety.

Update: I was able to secure the crates with some zip ties. I have to cut them off to collapse the crates (usually required for moving them from room to room), but for me that's not a major issue.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2010
I bought this crate and a 30 inch long for my Kia Rondo. They fit side by side behind the driver & passenger seats when the back seats are folded down. They allow great air flow and safety for the dogs when I take them. I needed side doors to access the dogs.
on December 3, 2011
Midwest's crates come in three "duty" ratings, light, medium, and heavy which correspond to their iCrate, Life Stages, and Ultima Pro lines respectively. The higher duty rating comes from heavier wire being used in the same sized crate. website states the following:

"Midwest provides the perfect home for every breed and temperament.

Light Duty: For new puppies that will be crate trained from the start and for breeds with a mild temperament.

Medium Duty: for older puppies and breeds with an average temperament.

Heavy Duty: for adult dogs that have never been crate trained and for active breeds."

Wish they identified the duty rating clearly with their different product lines.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2015
We have a little 14 pound schnauzer poodle mix, but I got the 36"x24" because I wanted him to be comfortable and because... overkill. That's what guys do. Besides, I needed to. He got sick from chewing up the plastic of the previous crate, so I went as heavy duty as possible. Overkill. Or so I thought.

This tiny little dog managed to rip the cage apart. And I don't mean the seams connecting one side to another. He bent the bars and then ripped one of them off so that he could squeeze out. On the one hand, he's a ridiculous little tenacious beast of a dog. On the other hand, if a dog the size of a purse can rip your metal crate open like it's a can of tuna, maybe your crate's not so good.