5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality vacuum
I just bought this vacuum a couple weeks ago and so far I am very pleased with it. We were surprised to see just how small it really is. We live in a small house (1300 sq ft) and have a big newf, 2 cats, and a bird that loves to toss his food on the floor. The whole house has hard floors, laminate and tile. On the lowest setting, this vac has the power to clean the...
Published on March 6, 2009 by Lee Olger

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the speed control and light weight
I bought this for reliability. I am sick of buying vacuums and disposing of them in 2-3 years. Sidenote...do not trust Consumer Reports for reviews. I kept buying their top recommendations and they fall apart.

This vacuum is lightweight, yet powerful. It has an adjustable setting that controls speed. When vacuuming the hard wood floor, we crank down the power...
Published on April 9, 2010 by J. Lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as European brands, November 15, 2009
After living in Europe for a year and experiencing how superior several of their appliances are, I was very disappointed to come home and use my American vacuum which was loud, heavy, bulky and a horrible mess to deal with when the bagless container was full. Though the price put my purchase on hold for a while, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Miele Polaris Canister vacuum. I love it and have no regrets. It is just as light and quiet as the European vacuum I had been using, possibly even quieter. I wish that I could buy the vacuum bags locally but it's nothing a little foresight scan't solve. The cord is a bit short (I can rarely vacuum beyond one room) but an extension cord which I store with the vacuum easily makes up for that. I did buy the parquet floor brush to use on my hardwood and tile floors and found it much easier to use than the combination carpet / smooth floor tool that came with the vacuum (I use that one on the area rugs). This is a quality product that I believe I will have with me for many years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...., February 2, 2011
Lighthouse (Anadarko, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miele Polaris S4212 Canister Vacuum Cleaner with SBD450-3 Combination Rug and Floor Tool (Kitchen)
I bought this vacuum for a replacement for a Hoover canister vacuum. Originally, I planned on buying a Dyson. After researching I decided on the Miele. I have a 3000 square foot home with ceramic tile, and one bedroom with carpet. I contemplated buying the power nozzle, but decided to try the vacuum before going to the extra expense. I'm glad I waited, because I don't think I'll really need it.

Pros:
Lightweight - I can't believe how lightweight it is.
Love the rewind cord - It works great, lots better than the one on my old hoover.
Suction power - love the suction power, and I haven't even used it on high yet. I couldn't believe how well it picked up on the carpet. My daughter has long blond hair, and I couldn't believe all the hair it picked up.
Some others have indicated that the on/off switch is difficult, but I don't find it to be. I just tap it with my foot, and it goes on or off

Cons:
The only con I have found is that the accessories that clip onto the vacuum sometimes are easily knocked off, but this isn't a big deal to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for my moms Eureka!, December 25, 2009
I purchased the Polaris S4212 Canister to replace my mother's old vacuum. Her previous vacuum a steel Eureka was at least 30 years old when it gave up the ghost (the motor was making strange sounds). I read as many reviews on different sites including this one to determine which vacuum was the best and while I was initially put-off my the products high price tag I decided to take the plunge. I am very glad I did. This vacuum is more powerful and yet quieter than any vac I have used previously. On it lowest setting you can clean while someone is sleeping in a different room or even in the same room if they're a sound sleeper.

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, January 6, 2011
Medavinci (California & Manhattan) - See all my reviews
I was hoping this polaris would be a welcome addition to my previously owned bigger miele. I have terrible allergies to dust and from the minute I turned it on, I was gasping. From the filter on the top of the machine, comes a huge blast of air (not sure what it is filled with but it took my breath away). I cannot use the machine like this and when I called the dealer, I was told I can buy some component for another $70 to help with allergies! I didn't have to do this with my other miele as it had its own hepa filter. In addition, when powered on the orange light stays straight on full - and when I called the dealer yet again, he said it should only come on about 1/4 most, but this is fully on all the time. He could not explain it nor would he take the machine back. So I am out money from here and I couldn't contest it on my credit card because I used my Visa debit card which does not allow you to do that. Miserable machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you don't have a long haired cat., December 7, 2010
I bought this based on great reviews I had read and after having had it a year can say we are very disappointed. We have a long white haired cat and no matter what setting the Miele is dialed into all it does is push the cat hair around. We have to remove the combo carpet/smooth floor head, use the end of the wand, and manually suck the hair off the red 1/2 wide 4 in long strips on the attachment that border the opening. Not sure what these strips are called. They are great for unloosening the cat hair from the rug but the hair gets hopelessly stuck onto these strips. It picks everything else up great and we love the size, weight, maneuverability, range. Just can't pick up long cat hair with the brush that comes with the vacuum. I can see on the Miele website they sell other (very expensive) attachments that might work better but as it stands this vacuum cleaner sucks on long cat hair :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, but just not quite right, November 2, 2010
After our Sears vacuum broke for the third time, and we had to get it shipped off yet again, we decided to invest in a longer-lasting vacuum. I was very excited about the great reviews, but I guess I was to be disappointed. Upon opening the box, I was amazed by how small and light (and pretty) the vacuum was. It had just about any attachment you could possibly want...except a head with your normal carpet beater bar. I suppose I ought to have read more about it before purchasing, but I thought I had read something about it being great on rugs so I didn't worry. If you're thinking about buying this for carpeted areas-don't. We have equal parts hardwood flooring and carpeting in our house, so we couldn't keep the vacuum for just the wood floors. It would be doable for very small area, but dragging the head over a whole room (it would look a great deal like those cartoons where something is underneath the carpet because the suction is so strong) just wasn't workable for us. I still think it would have been easy for Miele to include a beater bar attachment. I mean, what's an extra twenty dollars on a four hundred dollar vacuum. It just feels a little stripped down. It's very powerful, and very well made, but it's just missing it's finishing touches. You would think even the entry model would still have that finish, but I guess not.

Edit:
While this isn't perfect (seems we should have gotten the upgraded version with the beater bar as the commenter suggested) as a whole house vacuum, it works great as an apartment/dorm vacuum. It's the perfect size and works fine, as I said, on hard surfaces and the occasional rug. However, I would still recommend that you purchase the upgraded version if you have pets/multiple young women with long hair, as the vacuum head tends to get hair stuck in it quite easily, both the sweeper part and the head itself. When taking apart the vacuum, I always have to pull out a clump of hair from between the head and the metal extender and pull a huge rat's nest from the brush (I recommend a paper towel). Bottom-line, it's a good vacuum, but if you're going to spend this much on a vacuum, go buy the upgraded version.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars!! only flaw is...., March 7, 2010
Absolutely the very best vac on the market...pay the price up front and then have the mercedes benz of vacs for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Yes pricey, but cost average it over 20 years! No similar appliance from Sears or Target will last last 1/4 as long as this beautiful puppy. And the color is "I die".....baby blue...makes housework pretty! Martha listen up! Only one flaw...power cord is 5 feet too short.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you live in Canada, it gets even better., November 11, 2009
Squasher (Edmonton, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
I just wanted to give a heads up to anybody living in Canada thinking of purchasing the Miele S4212. I did my research online looking for the best deal for this S4212 and found it at [..]where they are currently selling the Miele S4212 Special Edition for [...] Canadian. I just bought mine yesterday at my local Costco for $[...](I was surprised that it was $[...]cheaper in store to boot!) and I am loving it.

The standard Miele S4212 for $[...] USD comes with:
- Powerful Motor 1200 watts high output Miele made Vortex Motor.
- Filtration - Sealed System, 3 steps of filtration.
- Lightweight 6.5 Kg or 14 Lbs
- Large Bag Capacity 3.5 Liters.
- Automatic Cord Rewind.
- Dustbag Change Indicator.
- 9 M or 29.5 Ft Cleaning Radius.
- Thermal Indicator.
- Safety Shut-off On Overheating.
- Space Saving Storage Bracket on Side of Vacuum.
- Attachments:
o Non electric Crushproof hose.
o Dusting Brush - adjustable natural bristle.
o Crevice Tool
o Furniture Nozzle
o Stainless Steel Telescopic Wand.
o Dusting Brush, Furniture nozzle, Crevice Tool, Stored on Board.
- Suction Control - Variable 6 Speeds via Rotary Dial on the unit.
- Durable-Meant for a 20 Year Life.
- 7 year Motor Warranty

The Special Edition S4212 comes in the Special Edition Steel Blue Metallic color for $[...] CDN has all the above features plus:
- Miele STB 205-3 Turbobrush worth ~$[...] USD. The Miele STB 205-3 Turbobrush attachment was designed to make cleaning effortless, and it delivers. It features a rotating brush that's activated by air drawn through the head, loosening dirt & collecting fluff and hair. Its buffer strip protects furniture from scuffing, too. It's ideal for cut pile and gives your carpet an excellent finish.

- Miele STB 101 Mini Turbobrush worth ~$[...] USD. It is a hand-held revolving brush. Recommended for stairs, furniture and upholstered surfaces where more aggressive cleaning is needed.

- Miele SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Brush worth ~$[...] USD. The parquet floor brush is designed for wood and tiled floors.It has 2 soft rollers for an easy gliding action and genuine horsehair bristles that sweep gently over the floor surface,brushing dust particles out of cracks.

- Miele Style FJM Vacuum Bags Includes 4 bags + 2 Filters worth ~$[...] USD

*** Please note that the special edition does NOT come with the Combination Carpet/Smooth Floor Tool SBD450-3 worth [...]USD as standard. The Miele Galaxy Rug & Floor Tool has lever which lets you switch between carpets and bare floors. For bare floors a brush strip along the front and squeege along the back pop out to provide soft, non-scratching cleaning action. Notches along the front of the brush allow dirt to easily enter the nozzle. For carpets and rugs, the brush strip and squeege are recessed, allowing the channeled steel sole plate to contact the carpet, pulling air through the nap to clean it. A soft, non-scratching roller under the elbow bears any downward pressure, enabling the nozzle to glide gently over the floor.

Anyway, I personally found it a fantastic deal with all the extras for purchasing this Miele S4212 in Canada and I wanted to share it with all of you. Here's the link and enjoy!
[...]
P.S. I checked the US [...] and unfortunately, it is not available on their website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miele is absolutely the best, changed our indoor air quality, July 26, 2011
Taylari (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I read the 2-star reviews here, curious as to how this spectacular vacuum could rate so low with some people. The primary complaint was the floor/rug attachment and how, in some cases, it pushed cat hair around instead of picking it up. This has not been my personal experience (I have a cat), but there are other attachments available for the Miele that might work better for those situations. The floor/rug attachment has some rubber components that I can see might attract hair on the bottom. But ... to rate a mechanically awesome machine inferior to the point of 2 stars because of a cleaning attachment doesn't seem fair to an overall beauty of a design. One other 2-star review mentioned a blast of air from the filter area. When you buy the Polaris, the HEPA is listed as optional. We bought the HEPA for it. No issue.

The Polaris is our second Miele. The first was a Luna which took us through several years of superior performance. The Luna is still in good shape, working well in a new home. We bought the Polaris after moving and not having access to our items in storage. Miele is a considerable expenditure, but after the initial purchase pain (yes, that does hurt a lot), the investment is well worth it. Between a Miele HEPA vacuum and an IQ Air filter, we have been able to keep our home clean enough for our friends with asthma, our friends with cat allergies and so forth. We've had so many people comment that they can't believe we have a cat -- they have no reaction to anything in our place.

The Polaris is even quieter than our previous model. It doesn't disturb our cat who is terrified of vacuum cleaners. I actually started enjoying vacuuming because of Miele. I'm also sensitive to noise and couldn't stand powering on those turbo engines. Miele vacuums are so unobtrusive to use, their gracefulness almost hides the fact that they are super effective at removing allergens and dust from the environment. Read up on their sealed structure, the nature of the filtration, and take it from someone who's used a lot of vacuums. These are the best I've ever used and I hope that someday in the distant future, if the Polaris gives out on me, I'll be able to afford another Miele. Because I can't imagine using anything else. Miele was literally life-changing for us in terms of the air quality improvements it afforded in our home.

The only downside I've found is the accessories attachment. It doesn't seem to hold accessories well. They tend to fall off the wand when using the vac. It's not worth a deduction of a star, but I hope Miele addresses this at some point because I've seen this point made elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for pet owners with hardwood floors, July 23, 2010
Amy M. (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
wow, love this vacuum. super powerful, feels solid/high quality, great suction, great air filtration, super super quiet -- my animals don't get freaked out by it, and you can carry on a conversation at normal volume while using it. amazingly light and maneuverable. i live in an apt, and found the cord length to be quite long for my needs. when purchased from this seller, it came with a hepa filter and 2 bags. i had a dyson animal ball before this, and feel that this is a much better vacuum in terms of quality, and experience (it's cheaper, lighter, quieter, cleans the air as well, extremely powerful, easier to maneuver). my 6'2" husband had no issues using this vacuum, as the metal pole attachment extends quite a lot for taller folks. haven't owned this for very long, so will report back after some time.