Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on October 15, 2003
This is a great collection of folktales specifically selected for the author's sons and grandson. The stories are interesting and exciting - they'll hold the attention of the most reluctant reader. Disguised under the fun tales are great lessons of character and integrity that boys today need so desperately to hear. I highly recommend it to parents, teachers, and kids!
on August 19, 2004
This is an excellent collection of folktales featuring heroes who overcome adversity using their wits rather than brute force. My six-year-old son absolutely loves this book, his favourite story is The Devil with Three Golden Hairs, but he loves them all. I enjoy reading most of the stories to him myself, though I admit I found a couple of them a little dull, but most of them are wonderful. The stories come from many different cultures, but all feature clever, likeable heroes .This book should appeal to any boy with imagination.
on August 29, 2011
These folktales are a pleasure to read aloud. Jane Yolen has collected trickster tales and clever boy stories from around the world, and Raul Colon's illustrations are heavenly. Also Check out his illustrations in "Pandora" by Robert Burleigh -- amazing!

15 stories, lots of action. Your kids will love when you read these to them.
**************************************************************
Now about the smug pacifism that Jane Yolen proclaims...

I glued the "Open Letter" commentary from Jane Yolen shut -- give me a break. I'm a mom. I am raising a household of boys. Part of being a boy is knowing how and when to stand up for what is right... and sometimes that means brains *and* braun. Oh, yes.

We're a military family. Why do military Daddies have to deploy? Because, in the words of Kenny Rogers, "Sometimes you gotta fight when you're a man."

It's easy to self-actualize when grim young men in faraway places stand ready to bleed and die to keep you safe. Please think of heroes like them, too.
************************************************************
Hang on a second while I climb down off my high horse...

There. We love these stories. Your kids will love them, too.
on September 12, 2009
I really enjoyed this selection of stories about smart, strong boys and give it as a gift every chance I get. I finally had to admit that it's more suitable for the 9-year-old than the 3-year-old.
on June 14, 2013
Hard to get kids to read now when books are not as exciting as video games to kids. Amazon is always such a help in finding age appropriate books for my grandkids on subjects to grab their attention.
on March 19, 2014
I love this book, although it's a little too old for my son still. I am very happy to find a book of stories for boys where the focus is more on good sense than aggression.
on October 31, 2013
A great book every boy between 8 and 12 should read! As well as its counterpart, Not One Damsel in Distress.
on September 28, 2014
Excellent stories; excellent transaction!
on November 22, 2014