**Really requires surface prep and tack time**

Published on September 8, 2009 by Ai-ling

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't work!
Published on February 18, 2008 by C. Wallace

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Putty is mighty useful after getting to know it better (tips), September 8, 2009
**Really requires surface prep and tack time**

I too was disappointed with my first usage of this product, finding that it didn't bond at all, but didn't give up and after re-reading the directions and following TO THE LETTER, I am very pleased with the results I have gotten. I've used this stuff for ALL KINDS of things since - crafts and improvised solutions. When used properly it is strong enough to hold together my car's cracked front bumper and after sanding and painting is undetectable. I will concede that it takes a bit of practice to work with, but it has proved very versatile and useful enough that I want to always have at least one tube of the stuff in the tool kit at all times.

For those who are having troubles, I have found that in order for the stuff to adhere well it really requires the surfaces to be roughened so that it can grip well - its a no-go on anything smooth.

Also, the step of "working it in" to the surface to be bonded is very important. This is not a set-it/forget it product, as it takes a couple of minutes to realy get tacky at all enough to even stick, which means that it rubs off the part you just rubbed on when trying to push it into place, but then once it starts to grab it becomes a little easier to work with. You will know that activation has begun and time is short when the product begins to warm slightly, so make sure to be ready before starting or it will harden before you finish.

I have also discovered it is easiest to work with in very thin slices of the "log" that are evenly cut to ensure a proper mix - I will start a tube by slicing it like a salami with a razor blade into pieces no thicker than a 1/4 inch (often smaller)as this speeds activation and is easier to work. Also make sure the tube stays well sealed (I re-wrap the product in cellophane in the tube before closing) as this is much more effective when not dried out at all.

There is a grey plumbers epoxy putty that is very similar and a little softer, which I prefer to use on wet projects, but the Mighty Putty has thus far proved mighty useful after getting to know it a bit.

Follow up/Update (Jan. 2012):

Glad to see some of you have found the review helpful! Just wanted to state that its been a couple years since the initial write-up and I still make sure to have a tube in the tool chest, one in the car, and one in the desk drawer. Its really handy to have for the darndest things like stripped plastic knobs and loose fittings. I've even molded replacement parts out of the stuff for all sorts of things to wide and varied to cover because it cures quickly enough that most things can be used rather immediately. (JB weld is no longer for me as it is much too messy and takes too long to harden.)

Its become the first thing I look to for most repairs that aren't served by superglue or hotglue as an option. The only other thing I use as much is probably the clear drying liquid epoxy resin that sets in 5 minutes for things that need a more pourable repair.

I can't use gloves with it though since it seems to just stick to them instead of itself. I knead it with the bare hands so it doesn't make a huge mess, and a little water keeps it from sticking to me and serves to smooth also. All told, I stand by the original 5 stars I gave it a couple years ago as it is inexpensive and effective. I'm sure if you're an improviser like me, you will find it just as indespensible as duct tape.

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't work!, February 18, 2008
Followed the directions carefully to hang a small towel bar just like the picture shows on the package. Within 5 minutes everything crashed to the floor. So I started over, even taped the towel bar in place for extra support. Waited 24 hours to remove the tape, instant crash to the floor. This stuff doesn't work, AND they give you one glove, not 2, for those of us with sensitive skin. It is hard to knead with just one hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Putty - smelly but worked for the items I have fixed., June 5, 2008
L. Turner (The Great Northwest) - See all my reviews
First of all, don't order it, you can purchase at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond for 9.99. If you must order, go to e-bay and order from a reputable source.

Oh ya, the stuff stinks, but only until it is dry - open a window while using. They only give you one glove - so, I cut off a small amount and put it into a baggie, closed the bag and kneaded until well blended. This worked better than the glove approach, as I have severe arthritis.

I bought this originally to fix a leg on an antique vanity stool that my husband was supposed to weld back together 2 years ago. I was shocked, as the putty began working within minutes. You need to use more putty than you think to secure the pieces together - or whatever you are mending. Once it is dry, sand it to the desired shape/size and paint over to hide.

I used the putty to bond 3 separate places on the U shaped detatched leg --secured each place with painters tape while it dried. Once the putty was completely dry - about 1 hour - the stool withheld my weight -- 124 lbs., and the smell dissappeared as it dried. (So, don't be discouraged by the smell -- all weld bonds stink.)

I then repaired the wooden leg of our t.v. tray stand, a wrought iron clock that had fallen off the wall and come unsoldered. (Guess I should have hung it with a specialty wall hook advertised on t.v. too!)

Now I'm on the hunt for other broken items in the house before the opened tube goes dry!!

The stuff is amazing. I have not tried to hang anything on the wall yet, but am thinking of adhering soapstone tiles to the wall as little shelves in the shower. I have no doubt that it will work well there as well!

I am 100% impressed with the stuff. For me, it worked better than JB Weld!

Laura

1.0 out of 5 stars Mighty poop, February 5, 2008
The company that sent it was good. It came on time etc. The product is not a new product as the TV add would make it seem. There are other brands on the market at Ace etc. just as good and they work the same. By the time you get the stuff mixed your arthritis is starting to act up.

1.0 out of 5 stars MIGHTY JIP!, February 22, 2008
I work for a mechanical contractor and can tell you that this stuff is exactly like something called "thumb gum". it can seal basic things like out door electrical connections or small holes in concrete, but to count on it to hold things to the wall or water under pressure? come on!

look in consumer reports, they do a article on this guy. his products are a joke. i think he's vying to become the milky way galaxy's representative for the Douche Bag of the Universe Award!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Putty...Mighty Worthless, January 25, 2009
This review is from: Mighty Putty 3-Pack (Kitchen)
Save your money. I had a small leak on the house rain gutter. I used one tube No Luck, I used a second tube No Luck. Need I say a third tube No Luck. I let it dry for over a week. Then it rained, the water came right through. A waste of money. I give mighty putty zero stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars It does not stick to anything I have tried so far., February 16, 2008
I tried to hang a small light weight piece of wood shelf to the inside of a cabinet and it would not work. I also tried to re-attach a ceramic pices from a cookie car lid and it would not work. I want to send it back. Can you help me do this nad get me my money back? Do you provide free shipping?

1.0 out of 5 stars look for it in stores, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Mighty Putty 3-Pack (Kitchen)
if you need to use this compound, buy it in stores. don't order it online. the FOUR packages i bought were all old and dry and unusable. i thought at least one package would have been usable. this stuff works really well when fresh. don't waste your time ordering it online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Putty Rocks, May 11, 2012
This review is from: Mighty Putty 3-Pack (Kitchen)
I have repaired averything from eye glass hinges to 2X4s with this stuff and so far it the best new thing since sliced bread, so be inventive and get some and start fixing it insted of dumping it. Mother earth will thank you for it. It has to be fresh and pliable though some suppliers send stale unusable product. Don't let that reflect on Mighty Putty thats a supplier error. When it's fresh and usable there's nothing better for building and fixing I know because I've been using it for a few years now.

5.0 out of 5 stars This saved me close to a $1000!, April 26, 2012
This review is from: Mighty Putty 3-Pack (Kitchen)
I never leave reviews, but this saved me so much time and money I had to give my 2 cents.

Yesterday Morning, I woke up to my upstairs drain line leaking to the basement bathroom. Fortunately for me it was right above the access panel. The leak was from a cast iron pipe coupler that was going into 2 cast iron T joints. I ran to Home Depot and bought rubber leak sealer, since there was a small constant drip on the pipe even though the water has stopped running for a few hours, everything i sprayed just washed off, i was dreading calling a plumber, he would have had to open up the whole ceiling and cut the cast iron Ts off and it would have been a long costly repair. Then I saw that Mighty Putty was being sold at Walgreen's, I ran in there grabbed it and prayed this would work even though I had my doubts after reading all the reviews on Amazon/Youtube.

When I tried to clean the pinhole size hole with a wire brush it became the size of a nickle. With much worry I cut up about a 1/5th of 1 roll of mighty putty activated it thoroughly and shoved it in the area while water was dripping. after letting it set for about 2 hours, i ran the water, and i did see a tiny drop trying to come out, but it was just hanging on, but will not drip. I reapplied some rubber sealer on top of the putty, and used the rest of the roll to cover the entire area. After the water been running all night, and all the showers this morning. IT 100% Dry! Not even a small amount of wetness. it completely fixed my problem, at least for now. Now we wait and see how it holds up.

I have to say if used correctly, this stuff will work, you do have to use a lot for something like what I did. but IT WORKS!

I recommend getting a fresh batch from a local store, as the shelf life says 6months, and thats probably why most people are having problems. When I used this it felt like butter, it was not hard. And it mixed easily. Good Luck!

Mighty Putty 3-Pack