Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mikasa French Countryside 45-Piece Dinnerware Set, Service for 8
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 7, 2011
Overall, I think this set of china is very attractive. but I wish I had fully considered some issues. I didn't realize that the soup bowls are huge. They are more suitable for a hearty bowl of soup for lunch than for a first course of a dinner or a scoop of ice cream for dessert. Second, my set is made in Malaysia, but I purchased a separate serving bowl at the same time from Amazon, and it is made in China. The Chinese-made bowl is slightly yellower and the porcelain finish is not as nice. Now I am scared that if I purchase the smaller fruit bowls that they won't match the Malaysia-made set. Finally, the plates are very deep, over an inch, so they don't fit the prongs of my European Bosch dishwasher really well, which is made for thinner china.
33 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2007
This is my first review for Amazon! That's how much I like this set. I also wanted to share the good experience I had with Amazon.

I love, love French Countryside by Mikasa! In my college days when I worked in the bridal department of a department store, we would have tons of brides register for this pattern as well as Italian and English Countryside by Mikasa. I myself ended up with English Countryside. Isn't it funny how your tastes change though? I like the French Countryside so much better now! After about 12 years and 6 moves, most of my English Countryside pieces were missing or broken and I needed a new set. I had always remembered French Countryside, and when I started looking for new china, I choose this one right away.

The French Countryside is well made, heavy, and elegant. It can be formal or informal, depending on how you dress it up. Some ladies in other reviews say they dress up the white plates with red table accents at Christmas. They are classic looking pieces that go with anything. So if you decide to change the décor in the kitchen these will always work. I am very happy with this set and know I will have it for many years to come.

The price on Amazon for 45 pieces is great, you just can't beat it. To buy these pieces in a place setting or individually would be so much more, plus you get five serving pieces with this offer.

When the package arrived, I expected pieces to be broken from other reviews I had read on Amazon. It seems as if a lot of china pieces packaged together are destined to break. Luckily, only one salad plate broke out of the 45 pieces. I called Amazon and they gave me a refund for the plate. No hassles, very easy (they said I could return the whole box, but there was no way I was doing that. It is heavy and repacking everything would have been impossible, so getting a refund for the plate was the best solution).

I highly recommend this set if you are looking for durable, long-lasting, classic dinnerware. I really enjoy my pieces!
on July 3, 2008
I rate the 45 piece so highly because it is really well made. I agree completely with others.

However, be careful when buying larger pieces such as the large rectangular serving platter, the large oval serving platter and the 5 piece pasta bowl set. The ones I bought are all made in China and the quality is very different than the quality of this F9000 series. The glazing on the bottom does not cover the bottom edge of the plates (where it sits on a table) This edge is unglazed and rough like "cheap plates" and water can seep in there and go all the way through to the top of the plate. If that water is dirty (like on a countertop) you now have a stain inside the plate, that shows through, that you will not be able to remove. They chip easily, the glazing is uneven, gritty in spots and worst of all, it is a whiter color than the cream colored pieces in the 45 piece Malysian made dishes I have. They don't match color!

Mikasa quality control from the Chinese factories appears to be very lousy and their specs for finsh must be very much relaxed. If I were Mikasa I'd be embarrassed to sell these. This was not an aberration, three things I bought at different times, made in China, were all poor quality compared to this F9000 set.

Did I say the 45-piece set made in Malaysia is great! I've got service for ten - through Amazon. I love this style.
on May 16, 2011
On March 3rd, 2011, I ordered and paid for a Mikasa French Countryside 45 piece Dinnerware set. It was shipped March 6th and arrived the next week. The dishes were packed with nothing between them but a thin sheet of corrugated paper. I do not mean corrugated cardboard. I mean thin paper. About a fourth of the dishes were completely smashed. I learned this only after unpacking over half the box.
I contacted Amazon and was told to pack all the dishes back up and return them. I did so, and they sent another box. I unpacked most of this box, which was as poorly packed as the other one was, to find all the bottom levels of dishes crushed.
At his point, I could not imagine having them send a third box of dishes.
I took out all the usable dishes, washed them and put them away. I returned the broken parts of the others with a note asking the company to simply replace those and we would be settled with it.
Weeks later, I have never received either my dishes or a refund despite calls and emails. There seems to be no way to reach these people.
I am writing the review to warn others and to try to get through to the company in some way. I have been more than patient in trying to work with them toward a solution. As it is I have paid for a full set of 45 pieces and have received far less than that in whole dishes.
This is a really poor way to treat customers.
on December 19, 2007
I love, love, love these dishes. A day hasn't gone by that i dont have that thought. They compliment my food, kitchen and table perfectly. A simple salad looks elegant in these bowls and yet they are simple enough to fit in with my "farmhouse" kitchen. I use them everyday and believe I will have them for many many years to come no matter how my kitchen decor changes. I shopped for the best price online for these dishes and this service for 8 is by far the best deal anywhere. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.
on September 20, 2007
The set is very nice & makes a good impression. It is a good value for the money. My only caution is that it is not packed well for shipping & some of the plates may arrive broken.
on May 9, 2008
This is an excellent dinnerware set. This goes with everything. My wife and I use this daily for all our dining needs and we are very satisfied. We have put it through the dishwasher daily. None have chipped so far after 5 months of use. Highly recommended. Nice detail around the rim. Nice deep salad bowls that will hold your oatmeal, cereal, salad, anything. Well worth the money.
on July 2, 2011
I decided to order these dishes since I had previously seen them and they were beautiful but when I got my set, the first box I opened, containing the serving plate, disappointed me. The plate had a small hole behind it. It looked like it was improperly finished. I opened another box. The box containing the cups and saucers. The first saucer on top had the same problem. Unfinished spots all over the bottom. There was no point looking further. I will be sending them back. I am hesitate to get a replacement order since it can happen again. Will buy at the store where I can inspect them myself before purchasing. They looked cheap! Still love shopping at amazon.
on January 18, 2010
I bought this 45 piece Mikasa set a little over 1 year ago. Now I don't do a lot of entertaining, but I wanted dinnerware with a quality appearance. And I got it. What I didn't know at the time, was how just well made these dishes were. If you have cats in your house, then you know what mischief they can get into. Two weeks ago, at around 4 in the morning, I went from sound asleep to immediately sitting straight up in bed. Why? There was a very loud crash coming from the area of my kitchen. Upon dragging myself out of bed and finding my way to the kitchen, I determined that the guilty culprit had disappeared, and was hiding. But his handiwork was left behind on the floor. He'd gotten up on the counter and somehow knocked onto the floor one of my dinner plates. To my amazement, it was all in one piece. There was not even a chip out of it.

So while thoroughly displeased with my cat, I was very pleased with my Mikasa dinnerware.Mikasa French Countryside 45-Piece Dinnerware Set, Service for 8
on June 13, 2008
We chose the Mikasa French Countryside as our china pattern for our wedding in 1996. We have used it as our everyday dishes...everyday! It has worn and broken over the years so we recently needed to get new dishes. I have looked and looked for something new and found nothing that I liked more than the Mikasa so finally just purchased the 45 piece set. This set is timeless. Even though pieces have broken in the past you do have to consider that we use these for breakfast, lunch and dinner, have five children and have moved from Arizona to Alaska. Pretty good in my book!