"A delightful addition to the literature of women and wilderness." --Annick Smith, author of Homestead
From the Back Cover
Beyond the bounds of society's more common professions, women are tackling tests of courage and stamina. They're employed as pilots, park rangers, scientists, and smoke jumpers, and their work requires the guts to get up in the morning and face whatever whim Mother Nature has to offer. It's not about showing up the guys, the real challenge for these women is breaking ground within themselves because they love what they do. In this unique collection, editor Jennifer Bové introduces you to 28 professional outdoorswomen, each of whom extends her hand and welcomes you to explore the gritty details of her trade. Tighten up your boot laces and come along!
* Track a pair of fugitive Montana mountain men alongside Susan Marsh
* Fend off a deadly fer-de-lance and find the heart of field research with Lela Stanley in the jungles of Panama
* Fish for a little trouble with MaryJane Butters, one of the first female backcountry rangers with the U.S. Forest Service
* Rescue a nest of hatchling sea turtles with Judy Edwards amid a swarm of nude bathers on a Hawaiian beach
* And keep moving on, as fire lookout Karla Theilen urges in her gripping story of survival - many more adventures await