5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every female runner
Kristin Armstrong has a way with words, and expressed things I think or feel so much better than I could have. Absolutely beautiful collection of articles on everything related to running, life, and being a female.
Published 16 months ago by Cyanne Demchak

3.0 out of 5 stars I Had Hoped for More
First, I have to say this book says right in the title it is meant for women, so I don't take off points for feeling like I'm on the outside looking in because I'm a guy. There is some great stuff here for any runner.

Published on April 6, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I Had Hoped for More, April 6, 2011
This review is from: Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run (Hardcover)

The main thing I'd tell anyone is that if you read Kristin Armstrong's "Mile Markers" blog on runnersworld.com you are not going to see anything that really jumps off the page. Indeed, some of the content looked familiar. After digging around the book I found some mouse print up front indicating some material had already appeared online.

If you have not followed Armstrong's blog this is a great read for women. She is a gifted writer in her ability to speak to her audience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, June 3, 2011
J. Triplett (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Okay, I get it. Kristin loves her kids and loves being a mom and has overcome a painful divorce. At the beginning of the book she talks about how she converted her blog into the book, so this thing is a rather haphazard gaze through blogging titles.

I read up to chapter 7 and can't take any more of the "I live for my kids" and "I have the worlds greatest friends".

I was certainly hoping this book would be more in line with "Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running", but alas, it is more of Kristin blogging her way through a very boring read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Title is deceiving, May 17, 2011
Ummmm...maybe it's my own fault but this book is more like someone's personal diary. It's a nice book and very heartfelt but not quite what I was looking for or expecting. Get it from the library not worth the purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title, April 29, 2011
There is only one running-related message here: women (people) run to overcome stress and unhappiness. Nothing new, and certainly not worth almost 300 pages. The other message is that female/female relationships are good. Oh...!! Perhaps other young running mothers will find the book inspiring, but I doubt if many of them have the financial support to lead the life that Kristen describes.

For an experienced, older female runner and marathoner it was truly one of the least interesting books I have tried to read. Not to deny Kristen the pain her divorce must have caused her, and her perseverance in building a positive life that includes running, I can only conclude that her only real asset as a writer is having the last name of a world-famous endurance athlete.

1.0 out of 5 stars cliché..., March 5, 2014
how many essays can one woman write about how running has delivered her and her gal pals to a greater sense of self? I like running with my girlfriends too, but I don't need it articulated in such an inane way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blah blah blah, August 12, 2012
Save your money! This book is so sticky sweet you want to puke. Look at me, I'm Kristin Armstrong. I have millions of dollars from my ex-husband and I have soo many friends and super children and I run. Yeah me! There is nothing inspirational about this book. There is nothing to learn from this book. It's as shelf indulgent as your friend on Facebook who post 400 pictures of their kids and another 200 of them drinking wine with their friends. What a waste.

1.0 out of 5 stars A life built on lies, October 13, 2012
Welcome to the Armstrong family, where an empire of sporting greatness was built on doping, lying and expensive lawyers. While Kristen isn't married to Lance anymore her failure to stand up and be honest about his drug taking and her part in it is disgusting. She can wax lyrical about parenting but how she can look her kids in the eyes or lecture them on being true is beyond me. Their lives and hers and all the financial benefits they enjoy is down to being gigantic cheats.
I read this sappy clap trap before her real self was revealed (hiding drugs for her hubby) and I'm so sorry I contributed to her vast wealth in her network of lies.
Save your hard earned money this book is rubbish and she is a fraud.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every female runner, July 30, 2013
Cyanne Demchak "Cyanne D." (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Runner's World contributing editor Kristin Armstrong dishes on family, faith and friendship, in this book, subtitled "The 26.2.., June 14, 2013
...most important reasons why women run."

Although the level of sweet in this book is higher than I normally like and Ms. Armstrong's made up similes sometimes border on silly, I enjoyed it. The author's words emit positive energy on every page. As a longtime runner who has spent decades mostly going solo, I can appreciate the benefits of running-with-friends, which I've been doing as much as possible during the past year. Being married to and divorced from a famous athlete, not to mention the aftermath of the doping scandal, is, no doubt, complicated. Yet, Ms. Armstrong's message is one of thankfulness for what she has instead of resentment over what she hasn't. Her PRs are respectable; her workouts with Cassie, something to envy; and her tight-knit relationships with friends; admirable. Several of her messages are noteworthy: as we women are all on the same team, we should support, not judge, one another; do the same, get the same; run your own race; (p 130) "We show young women how to be confident on the inside by first being confident on the inside ourselves;" do what you love; (p 128) "Because it's who you are when no one is watching that builds the confidence and the comfort to give your best in the moments when it's time to be seen." Also entertaining: The Talk (p 228). In summary, Mile Markers, which fits firmly in the chick lit category, is an upbeat book about the power of: women, running and friendship. Also good: Second Wind: One Woman's Midlife Quest to Run Seven Marathons on Seven Continents by Cami Ostman, Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, June 29, 2014
I loved so much about this book! I loved that it was a series of blog posts which meant if I couldn't read for a week or more I wouldn't feel lost in a story line. I also lived and related to so many topics, I feel like I highlighted 70% of the book! I look forward to re-reading it again in some time!

Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run by Kristin Armstrong (Hardcover - March 1, 2011)
$17.99 $11.46