4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - as long as you have a lot of extra clamps
Published on January 3, 2007 by B. Greenstone

3.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, poorly executed - you get what you pay for...
I was really excited about this kit, people seem to rave about it all over the place. I couldn't wait to carve the names of my kids into the sandbox seats.

Published on June 3, 2008 by M. Potvin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - as long as you have a lot of extra clamps, January 3, 2007
This review is from: Milescraft 1206 SignCrafter Signmaking template kit with TurnLock (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have been able to quickly and easily create several signs in the last few days since purchasing this. It does work quite well, but you've got to use a lot of extra clamps to keep the templates from moving. The little thumbscrews that are used to "clamp" the sign in place are really only good for setting the alignment of the template. They are way too loose and weak to keep the thing in place when a router is moving over it - not even close to holding it down. Plus, if you're using the full-length extension on it for wide signs, the center tends to flex back and forth due to another weak set of thumbscrews that barely hold the thing together.

So, what I do, is use a set of about 4 good clamps at various places along the template to keep the entire thing completely rigid and solid. As I move the router along I have to move clamps to keep them out of the way, but it's no big deal. That being said, there is another version of the SignCrafter template that I've seen sold online which has different end-brackets. It comes with brackets that are designed for clamps, and the kit even comes with low-profile clamps.

For the price, the SignCrafter is a great deal! The letter set is missing some things that I think should be included, but as best I can tell are not even available anywhere. Such things as punctuation (question marks, exclamation marks, etc., and other things that a signmaking kit should have like templates for arrows and other markers. I think I'll try fabricating my own templates to fit the kit by using a scrollsaw and some 1/8" plexiglass.

Oh, and you'll definitely want to use a 1/2" box core bit for the 2.5" letters. Anything smaller and the letters come out a bit thin looking. The kit comes with a smaller bit - I don't use it. Similarly, you'll want a 1/4" bit for the small letters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, poorly executed - you get what you pay for..., June 3, 2008

Opening the box, I was astounded by the number of items and spares that were included. I easily created a full stack of letters, since my kids each have four letter names, I could put them both into the carrier and put in one extra letter to fill it out.

I have a Dewalt 618 and I used the plunge base for this task. The Signcraft base that is included with the kit is VERY thick, you may need longer screws to use it with your router. I had probably 2-3 threads holding the base in place with the screws that were included in my router kit.

Following the instructions, I was preparing for the final steps before powering up the router for the first time... Lining up the cutter depth. Got everything set to the correct depths, and was retracting the bit before turning it on. Crack. What was that? As the bit was retracing, it hooked on the letter and snapped the template. I'd suggest buying a straight bit as you need to be able to move the bit around the template and power off/raise after each letter. You only have 10mm or so distance to power it down without it sitting on your work surface spinning away. With a straight bit, you can use the plunge as designed.

Now, back to the letter box, good thing they give you so many letters, I had an extra capital L to replace the one that is now broken. Secure a piece of wood to practice on... Now mind you, no where in the instructions does it give you an idea of what speed to run your router. This is a small bit, so logic would tell you to crank up the speed. I very carefully now insert the router into the template, turn it up to 5 out of 6 and power it on. Instantly this melts the plastic template and runs the router away making a mess of the first try. Great. Now my second and last letter L has been trashed.

I went ahead with the name carving, it didn't turn out nearly as good as I had hoped. I had to run by hand in areas of the L since the template was melted from previously. I'm aware it would increase the cost, the templates really need to be made out of something less flimsy, and more resistant to heat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Considering the price..., January 18, 2009
R. Williams (LA United States) - See all my reviews
Well, I've been working on a chest of drawers for my son for longer than I'd like to admit! Anyway, as part of the design, I thought carving a name plate as a "faux" drawer front would make a nice addition. Well, I decided wooden letters would make a cheap and easy template. Unfortunately, none were of size that I needed.

I came across this kit in one of the Big box stores after resigning to the notion of not being able to do the nameplate. Now, I was already familiar with the product and had considered buying it, but the cost wasn't justifiable taking into account that I really only needed it for this project (and already overbudget!). Long story short, today I found this in the "Blue" box store for $10 on clearance! I'm not joking...

With that said, I was really impressed with my find and eager to give it a go. I got home and started assembly. I really only used the directions to check orientation of the rails and a few other tasks... It was a fairly straightforward process.

I will say I was impressed with the number of parts and extras that were included (router bit, extra letters, etc). The Turnlock system is pretty neat, but I don't like the idea of plastic bushings (my router came with brass ones). Anyway, the system does work well though.

In action the rail setup is flimsy and needs additional clamping for certain. Once everything is secured, it works. I must admit that after two practice runs I have not completed a sign that is without flaws. It takes some practice for sure.

The lettering font is obviously very basic and not as nice as the wooden letters I'd found for templates. So a drawback is definitely the limitation of fonts with this system. Again, for basic signs it gets it done.

I would prefer a better system if woodworking/signmaking were my bread and butter; but for the occassional forray into signmaking and for the price I paid for this kit ($10), it was well worth it. Wooden letters to spell out my son's name cost nearly as much from the box Hobby store...If I'd spent the full price for this set, I'd be dissappointed. However, truth be told, it gets the job done with modest modification and a bit of practice.

2.0 out of 5 stars It'll drive you crazy!!, February 10, 2009
I've had this device laying around for a couple years. If you can spend some time literally re-building it you can muddle your way through some nice signs. You will quickly learn that the basic concept is excellent but it all went downhill from there. Flimsy plastic parts, wobbly aluminum rail, no reasonable way to clamp things (I end up SCREWING the whole thing to my bench) and you need six hands to do some of it. Somewhere out there there's gotta be a better way to do this. If this basic device was made with care and good materials, even if it cost more, it would be a nice little toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Milescraft sign kit, September 15, 2007
Some parts are of poor design as follows. Built in clamps to hold template to work piece does a very poor job. Clamps to hold rail extensions also holds very poorly. I had to create my own low profile parts to hold the kit firmly to the work piece. Other than the clamping problems the kit works well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont waste your money!, June 5, 2009
The Milescraft 1206 doesn't cost much money however, it is not worth the money . It is cheaply made to resemble something that might work. I have been a wood shop teacher for 20 years and used many jigs for wood working. This one did not even get one sign made.

1.0 out of 5 stars a "MICKEY MOUSE" product, February 18, 2009
I have used Craftsman since the mid 1960's .. and have been happy 99% of the time .
and yes I have broken Craftsman tools and received new replacements with out question !
I did some research via the internet on getting a new sign making template set ..
and what I saw from Craftsman was what looked the same as what I bought "MILESCRAFT 1206" .
since I am retired and on a fixed income and have to watch my $$ I bought this unit from Amazon and saved $20
from SEARS price . when I got the unit I was surprized to say the least .. nothing lined up as my old Craftsman set did
(if my kids had not lost some letter templates I would still be using the set I bought in 1970) the templates are just fine ..
the alighnment rack has very little adjustment and can NOT just do less then 18" of material.
after solving that , I went to put the new base plate on my Craftsman route ... I found holes that 'about' fit ..
a bit of enlarged holes made the fit ... then the thickness of the base made the router bit only make a cut of less the
1/8 inch ... after 5 letters the plastic template guide melted
( I was cutting into cedar with the new bit that was in the package) ...
so far all I can use is the $10 worth of letter templates .
I also have spent another $45 in buying stock lexan to make a base plate and a small set of template bushing guides ...
so my savings of $20 is long lost ... as well as a few hours of design and driving to store time

I did distroy the 2 plastic template bushings as well as add holes to the plate and cut the metal letter template rails ...
so I am not even trying to return the MILESCRAFT 1206 SignCrafter kit ..
it is all my bad ..and I should have listened to the bad reviews on the unit ...
both here on Amazon and on Sears Craftsman web page ...
save Your money !

Marty Harris ..
a woodworker for pleasure since 1954

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a quality product, September 5, 2008
Purchased the SignCrafter Signmaking Template Kit to make mile marking post on our local rails to trails. First in spite of what the box said it is not ready to use. The jig had to modified to allow routing numbers in the vertical position on 4 x 4 posts. The whole package is rather cheaply made, but for the purchase price-I got what I paid for. Once I did some mods and started routing it did an OK job. Not professional grade, but again not professional grade money. Not something you would want to use on a daily basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, February 21, 2014
This is a really nice template kit and the price was much cheaper for the exact same thing than at Sears. Glad I waited and found it on Amazon. If your a hobbyist or just like to play around and try to make things for yourself and maybe family members like me. You can't go wrong either way with this. You can actually make a little side money selling address signs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Template material works well but could use more "characters", January 21, 2014
The template kit while very light weight works very well. It feels flimsy at first but fits and holds together perfectly. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was that it could use some additional blanks such as an arrow, dash, dot (besides period at the bottom, apostrophe, (half of the quote template looked wrong and required template changes).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›