5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its class! Very versatile welder., February 2, 2011
This review is from: Millermatic 211 230V MIG Welder with Thermal Overload Detection (Misc.)
I wanted a welder to improve and compliment the capabilities on the farm. Repairs and fabrication on many different things. Been using a Miller Bobcat stick welder for the past 20+ years. Heavily researched for the best machine to meet my needs. The Millermatic 211 is so easy to use, fast, smooth and clean. Using gas shielding solid wire. Autoset feature works well and I am amazed at the quality of the welds on thin, thin to thick and thick welds with little prep work. Have welded rusty sheet metal I would have thought been impossible. Great home/shop/farm welder. MIG gun is only 10' but is easily portable so not an issue yet. It's not the welder I would pick to build a bridge across the Tennessee river, but big enough for some serious structural welding. Might need a longer gun at some point. I have purchased the spoolgun and extra argon cylinder for aluminum. The gas cylinders, cart, consumables and accessories cost almost as much as the welder and found the best deal at a local welding supply business.

The Millermatic 211 with Autoset is an excellent welder, best in it's class and only costs <10% more than it's closest competition. Easy to use with good instructions and guides from Miller. Parts and consumables for Miller/Hobart are easily found at Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, TSC and even Walmart. This is a great entry welder for the beginner and has great flexibility and features for a professional.

Update Feb 2013: Now have run >40#'s of MIG wire through the machine and wish I could give it a higher rating! Still using the original 10' gun. Love the autoset feature. Easy and very inexpensive to maintain. Cost per weld cheaper than my old stick welder and so much cleaner and easier. It's like using a glue gun. Easy to teach newbies how to make good welds. Has paid for itself many times and is fun to use. Great welder and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Millermatic 211 - Perfect protable welder, August 25, 2010
I recently purchased a Millermatic 211 Autoset welder and really love it. I also got the 100 Series Spoolgun. I couldn't get a better machine to fit my needs.

First of all, I have done lots of metal fabrication in the past. At the time, I used a full size wire feed welder. That welder had a 100% duty cycle, big Tweco gun and would weld and weld and weld. The 211 will do almost as much.

The 211 is a LOT smaller, but capable of 210 amps at full load. I have a spoolgun and weld aluminum as well. Yes, the duty cycle is a lot less, but it fits perfectly in a corner of my garage and is portable. It was easy to set up and does a great job of welding.

If you are not going to push the upper limits of welding thickness like I will, a Millermatic 180 would work just fine as well.

If this were an everyday welder, like what I have done in the past, I'd probably give it 3 stars. As an occasional welder I would give it at least 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome rig for beginner or pro!, May 10, 2012
I have used several cheap wire feeds in the past with absolutely zero luck. I went the cheap route on two others, always in a pinch when I needed a tack weld or a little repair. Needless to say, I was less than impressed with my welding ability - every project looked like it had been dropped on transformer lugs from 8o feet. Burned, crooked...nasty.

Ahh, now I've purchased the Miller. I had heard nothing but good reviews on the 211, so I ponied up the cash and purchased one for several projects - a trailer and a rototiller that I'm restoring. I was absolutely STUNNED at the ease and quality of this process. The welds are clean, professional-looking, and most of all, EASY! I'm NOT A WELDER, and this 211 made me look like one.

I tested some pieces, and thought, "I'll be damned. That looks NICE!" but assumed it was beginner's luck. I simply dialed in the material thickness and pulled the trigger. That was it. Nothing to it. All the test pieces held up very well to bending - the weld didn't break before the metal bent. On the finished project, there is no spatter, very little cleanup, and a clean, smooth, straight line. I started grinding off and re-welding several things done by a "professional" welder on my Jeep in a welding shop. I wish you could see the before/after pictures - mine look...perfect! His look like what I thought welds were supposed to look like. Mine were identical except: No pitting, straight, clean, uniform, no bulges, no spatter...

So, it's safe to say that I'm no welder, running this even on 120 with 1/4" steel and the included .035 wire and argon/CO2 mix was SIMPLE. Even for a non-welder like me. Spot welds, 90s, butt welds - all have turned out perfectly.

This will be the welder that will live in my shop forever. I love it, and though I was very nervous about spending this kind of money on something I wouldn't use often, seeing the results made it worth it.

Besides - how many things do you weld and then think afterwards, "I don't care if that holds...or looks good." A few minutes on YouTube and this Miller in my hands, and I was able to create professional, strong welds in no time.

6 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Welder, September 28, 2012
I bought the Miller 211 welder about 3 years ago, because I wanted to build my own patio fencing, railings, etc. For the long term I was not planning to buy a welder because if I were to buy one I wanted one that would run on 220v. When I seen this model could run thicker metals at 220v, or thinner metals at 110v I starting to think I should buy it. I was concerned that the automatic wire feed business was a gimick that I would never use. However, since you are able to turn it off, I bought the welder. I thought I would try the automatic settings and give it a try anyway (although I was sure it would be totally bogus). After not having welded for 18 years or so, I did my first weld. It turned out very good! I have since done a lot of welding making railings, art, furniture, etc and I am really pleased with this machine. I have only ever turned off the automatic settings when I needed to weld drastically different cross section thickness together. Honestly, I am not so sure my settings worked better than the auto settings... My typical welding is done with 18 - 14 gauge steel tubing, up to 3/16 flats. I have welded up to 1/4" thick and as thin as 24 gauge steel. I have only used 110v power welding steel so far. I am very happy with this welder.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to Miller's standards, November 28, 2012
After doing a lot of research, I narrowed my search for a welder down to Miller's Millermatic 180 or 211. I went with the 211 since it had a little bit more amperage and had the ability to run off of 110 if needed. I have a 50A 220V feed in my garage for it, and it works great! I've welded up to 1/4", and it has had no issues providing enough power. The unit is small and (relatively) light, so it's easy to move around. Everything is included for gas hook up as well, so you don't get nickel-and-dimed with necessary additions. Plus, Miller offers great support and training resources. Setup and wire changes are easy, and the AutoSet wire speed feature works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review for the amateur, April 4, 2013
I had used an old "buzz" box stick welder a little which made me realize I enjoyed welding and what you could do with it. I'd heard mig was a much easier way to weld so I borrowed a small mig welder to try out mig welding. I spent hours trying to figure out the wire speed and amp settings. Rarely would I get a weld that looked like a weld should. I liked the concept of mig welding and knew a better welder might solve some of my problems. The welder I borrowed was a bit small for what I wanted a welder for anyway so I started looking for a new welder.
With as much trouble as I had with the small mig I'm not sure why I didn't just go back to stick. But I kept hearing how nice mig was. I'd heard Miller was a good welder and when I saw the 211 with auto-set (the answer to my biggest frustration with mig) I decided on the 211.
Upon receiving the welder I hooked it up to a gas bottle, set the auto-set to the proper settings and gave it a go. I couldn't believe the difference. I knew with proper settings a mig welder should sound like bacon sizzling. I even thought I'd heard it for a split second with the small mig I'd been playing with. Here it was load and clear and with only having to tell the welder what size of wire was in it and what thickness of metal I was welding. That first weld looked like someone who knew what they were doing had welded it. A weld to be proud of, but, was it a strong weld? A trip to my 20 ton press should give me an idea of strength. The weld was two pieces of metal in a T formation. When I was done with it it looked more like an upside down Q and never did break.
Ok, maybe this mig isn't so bad after all. I then tried something I'd never done before, verticle welding (after a few youtube videos). I know this is going to sound like bragging and i guess it is but not on myself, on the welder. My first ever vertical weld looked so good I've kept it as a momento. I've welded metal from 1/8 to 3/8ths with results that still put a smile on my face.
Bottom line. If your like me and don't know jack about welding you'll love this welder. As other reviewers have said "This welder will make you look good".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great from small to bigger projects, April 24, 2012
I used a Hobart 140 for several years and it did a pretty good job. I upgraded because I found myself doing bigger 1/4 to 3/8 inch welds pretty often. The little welder was not enough for that. I have it wired to a 240 Volt plug and it dials down for 14 gauge sheet metal and up 1/4" to 3/8" mild steel for trailer repairs and construction. The Millermatic auto set wire speed is so nice. Just dial up the thickness and start welding. As a non-professional who welds all kinds of metal of different sizes this unit gives great bang for the buck. If you are a pro who is welding all day go with the 212 or bigger. All of the wire spools and tips, from Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart work fine in this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welder exceeds expectations, March 31, 2013
The Miller welder has really proven itself and shown its capabilities. I have taken quite some time to test it and use it a few times before writing my review, this is to ensure I gave the product a fair review which can be useful to other potential buyers. The welder comes in a good solid box with all the attachments required to use it right away. they supply you with the gauges and a 2lb spool of 0.030 solid unshielded wire. you will need to go get some gas and you will be ready to start welding. I have only used it on 110 power, this has put down some beautiful beads on 3/16 steel. it has allowed me, with zero experience, to learn and make me look like I knew what I was doing. I would highly recommend this product to beginners and professionals alike. Make sure you read as much as you can before you start using and if you have someone that can guide you and give you advice then do it! Miller makes a great welder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with the Milermatic 211, December 8, 2012
I spent some time reviewing the Lincoln and Miller welders. I originally purchased a Lincoln 180 Dual mig welders. I had some problems with the lincoln. I took the Lincoln back and I purchased a Miller 211 Autoset. I could not be happier with the Miler 211. It makes beautiful welds. I like the 110 or 220 volt option for this model. I have not had one problem with the Miller211. The auto set feature allows you to adjust the wire feed to the exact power level is great. I believe a Miller is far superior than a Lincoln. You can go to HomeDepot and get their Lincoln model. I would recommend going and spending just a little extra and purchase the Millermstic 211. I have welded various projects and the Miller 211 was great to use. The Miller comes in a small package but delivers professional results.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Mig for the hobbyist, handyman, and many others, June 29, 2013
I have had 3 Mig welders over my hobbyist career, this MM 211 MVP being my fourth. I started with a 100 amp Lincoln 120V. Loved the machine, but was eager for "more" and sold it for a big 240 Amp 220V shop type Lincoln and sold the 120V. Big mistake. The big machine was great, but lacking the go-anywhere versatility of the 120V. And I found that I only rarely used the power of the big machine. So I sold the big 220V machine and bought another 120V machine. I've been using that for many years. But there are rare times when I have to stretch things a bit to make a 120V make do and a few times I had to use somebody else's 220V machine on thick section. Well this year I made the switch to this fabulous machine. It will cover all my bases. Power and versatility. I love the build quality and the quality of the welds it produces are superb. It is worth the price. With this machine you can get'r done.

ARRAY(0xa678b378)