1,488 of 1,518 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect
Such a terrific reference work! But with so many terrific random digits, it's a shame they didn't sort them, to make it easier to find the one you're looking for.
Published on October 26, 2006 by a curious reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the audiobook version
While the printed version is good, I would have expected the publisher to have an audiobook version as well. A perfect companion for one's Ipod.
Published on October 19, 2006 by R. Rosini

1,488 of 1,518 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, October 26, 2006
This review is from: A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the audiobook version, October 19, 2006

2,820 of 2,912 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy., July 27, 2005
McGroarty (United States) - See all my reviews
The book is a promising reference concept, but the execution is somewhat sloppy. Whatever generator they used was not fully tested. The bulk of each page seems random enough. However at the lower left and lower right of alternate pages, the number is found to increment directly.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like this book ..., October 20, 2006
If you like this book, I highly recommend that you read it in the original binary. As with most translations, conversion from binary to decimal frequently causes a loss of information and, unfortunately, it's the most significant digits that are lost in the conversion.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars, 1 Reservation, December 5, 2005
After exploring the "Search Inside This Book" feature and snooping through a few of the embedded prose poems, I knew that this was a book I needed on my shelf. (Though I do admit I ordered it (ostensibly) for my girlfriend's birthday--and borrowed it when she was done!) I finished the tome in one enraptured sitting and, despite a limp third act denouement, the book was taut, well paced, and fresh.

I do, however, have one concern. I stumbled upon the book while looking up the ISBN number for Haynes' Owner Workshop Manual for Honda 2-valve Twins (1977 - 1985) -- and I got to thinking... Perhaps running across ISBN# 1 85010 359 3 in Rand's "A Million Random Digits" wasn't a coincidence -- perhaps some of the digits aren't that *random* at all. I don't mean to be an alarmist--and I certainly don't bandy about charges of plagiarism lightly--but if you will, please note this excerpt from the author's tender preface:

738 9377504 03478 47589 43 705 47309 67490 27348 57490 57443509 37405 40978 39794 "31847 57303!" 57049 325740 57403 7509347?

Now, we can't help but notice a completely different "voice" littered throughout the book. For example, in the opening of the penultimate chapter:

704478 489 705 47390 278 574409 3705 978794 9847 57303 57049 32740 574035093 473

Or the crassness in the "bedroom" scene:

473268978 971 23473 3785 [expletive] 3434987 3490809 34709 34908 40700 34087 439874 97835

And after the embarrassment (we'd all rather forget) concerning Wm. T Metzger's otherwise breathtaking "Table of 10,000 square roots: Gives square roots up to 4 digits on the basis of the square roots arranged in consecutive order 1 to 10,000 and the numbers ranging from 1 to 100,000,000" the publishing world can't afford another snafu.

3.0 out of 5 stars A serious reference work?, October 16, 2006
BJ (Watford, England) - See all my reviews
For a supposedly serious reference work the omission of an index is a major impediment. I hope this will be corrected in the next edition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too unpredictable, January 24, 2011
The book is too hard to follow, the author randomly shifts from one number to another without any prior warning.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite the opposite of random when viewed globally, January 14, 2008
At first, I was overjoyed when I received my copy of this book. However, when an enemy in my department showed me HER copy, I found that they were the OPPOSITE of random - they were IDENTICAL.

It is very frustrating, let alone dangerous for my agents in the field; do not rely on this book for generating codes!

Its list of deviates is very nice for someone in my profession, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars I owe the happiness in my life to this tome, October 13, 2006
J. C. Dixon (Asheville, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
I took a class in statistics in college. I used this book to help me select random phone numbers for a poll I was conducting for my class project. (The most popular household cleanser in the greater Siouxland area is Bon Ami, by the way.) One of those phone calls was answered by the woman who is now my wife. We've been happily married for ten years! Thank you, RAND.

5.0 out of 5 stars German translation, February 9, 2008
Does anybody know about a german translation of this book? I really would be glad, if I can get in german

A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates
A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates by Rand Corporation Rand Corporation (Paperback - November 15, 2001)
$68.00 $65.13