1,435 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Whose Time Has Come--wisdom long OVERDUE!
I used to be one of those people who spent all or at least most of my money and thought I was doing okay with the little savings I had in the bank earning 2% (wow).I always bought brand new cars, new clothes, went on vacations 6-8 times per year and partied. I had a great time! One day my company shut down and I was forced to live on 50% OF MY INCOME. My savings...
Published on September 4, 1998

952 of 1,056 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative - but be careful!
Let us get one thing out of the way. This is NOT a bad book. In fact, it is a well-done, interesting, and much needed study that gives us all new insights about what millionaires are really like as opposed to people's misconceptions of them. If this was merely a study of what millionaires are like, I would give it five stars.
The problem begins when people see...
Published on November 27, 2001

‹ Previous | 182 83 84144 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for aspiring millionaires, December 4, 2012
This review is from: The Millionaire Next Door (Paperback)
If you think you might have what it takes to become and millionaire and more, this is a great read for you - it helps to set straight many misconceptions, and shows you that things (and people) often aren't what they might look like.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes yes yes a must read, December 3, 2012
Yes a must read. the millionaire next door is a simple yet EYE OPENING BOOK to the truth of the richies. Totally recommend this book. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended this to me, November 27, 2012
I wasn't sure that I was going to like this book, not from the title but more from the first chapter. It's very data heavy, so it's something you've got to be willing to get through. If you go with the highlights, it does make a compelling argument for how to help yourself and your children learn the discipline of earning, saving and spending- in that order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice, November 21, 2012
This book is getting dated, but the message is solid and very useful in todays world of over-spenders. Stories of how common people living within their means, save money and become millionaires. The approach to how money is viewed is critical. Don't waste money and don't spend money you don't have and don't worry about "keeping up with the Jones." The long section on cars is a little over done, but this is important as so many people borrow money to purchase a vehicle. This is a bad investment - actually it is not investment, but a money pit. Yet due to the widespread purchasing of new and expensive vehicles by so many people, I guess this needs to be stressed. Myself, I very much like nice cars, especially Porsches, but I only buy what I can afford to purchase with cash. Again, this is a very useful read, especially for young people who want to become wealthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think., November 8, 2012
Sky (ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book provides a great summary of habits and philosophy about money of those who can and do build wealth, and those who don't. Now when I make decisions about money, even a mundane purchase - makes me think - I'm taking a well-paved road, and I know exactly where it leads. Which road do I want to take, to wealth or to hopes about wealth? After all, walking on the well-paved road, taking the same steps that others took while being on that road but hoping to arrive elsewhere is a delusion. This book make me rethink my habits and gave me strategic ideas about future. Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Ideas, November 7, 2012
There are plenty of places to get investment advice and lifestyle advice. This book is a good read for the basic advice it gives.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to understand, October 24, 2012
very good writer, easy reading, easy understanding,
good book to understand the paradigms of life!
especially liked when the author puts that wealth is: how much money you saved not how much you spend ......

4.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into the real wealthy., October 16, 2012
I read this book from the library after reading the reviews here. Great book. It shows the habits of the true wealthy. I always assumed a lot of really wealthy people wore regular clothes and drove regular cars after I found out years ago that Bill Gates drove a Honda Accord lol.

A few quirks-the book mostly talks about being frugal. That's only part of the equation. The other part is INVESTING. Nobody get's rich just from saving. I would've liked if the authors would've researched some of the investment habits of the rich. Furthermore, the authors should've also researched a few regular middle class families to show the differences between these two classes of people/families. A whole chapter was written just to explain that it is detrimental to give adult children regular monetary gifts because it turns them into lazy underachievers. That was overkill in my opinion. The tables were a bit much too. Most of the rich are business owners and a very small percentage work for others. I would've liked if the authors would've researched these rich employees, since most people work for others.

Besides those quirks the book is really a great book. It shows that the rich we see on tv and movies and hear singing on the radio are only a small percentage of the wealthy. And most of them aren't really wealthy when you consider their debt and spending habits. As one other person commented on though, who wants to be rich and drive regular cars, wear regular clothes, etc? Maybe I'm brainwashed by watching all the 'rich' on tv and in movies with all their nice things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Millionaire Next Door, October 14, 2012
This was exactly what I wanted and the book was in great condition. The description was spot on and I am very pleased with the purchase that I made

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, October 7, 2012
This book has been so helpful for me. It made me see how important it is to really pay attention to where my money goes. I have actually changed my spending habits because of this book.

‹ Previous | 182 83 84144 | Next ›

The Millionaire Next Door
The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley (Paperback - October 1, 1998)
Used & New from: $0.01