Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Millions of copies will sell, and cognitive dissonance will prevent people from seeing this book for what it is.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2010 10:56:29 AM PST
With so many experiments, with such passionate advice, you want to believe this guy. So people will attribute their failures to themselves, not to this wonderful 'superman' hero of a nice guy.

Well guess what- you can't invalidate decades of research on sleep, nutrition, and physiology with one book. You can confuse the issue yes, but principles like making calories out exceed calories in, and 3-or-more per week cardio sessions are here to stay. There are no shortcuts. Smarter ways, yes, but in this book of shortcuts, surely one of them will make sense to a reader, most will not, and the reader will forgive and call the book 'pretty helpful'.

It'll sell a million copies. But it won't change millions of lives. Focusing on the fundamentals, not the tricks, will result in more substantive changes for more people. People will start following his experiments in January and be fat again by March, unless they get to the root of why their lives are unhealthy.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 1:07:52 PM PST
D. Dunkley says:
ChicagoGrooves - I'm about 3 hours away from going to buy the book which just came out today. The difference between you and I is until i read it - I have my mind open. You should try it, an open mind that is, it's amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 1:10:31 PM PST
J. Wofford says:
Your post can be broken down to the following:

"If you don't follow the plans, then you will fail to achieve the results described in this book." Thanks for the insight.

"Smarter ways" are considered "shortcuts" and "tricks" by people that like to do things the hard way, I suppose, CG.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 1:40:38 PM PST
Frank says:
If you are going to criticize, why not cite specific examples that pertain to your argument? How are you going to have an opinion if you haven't even read the book? I don't think Tim's message is to short change anything, just finding methods that work for you whether they are conventional or not. If anything, the true takeaway from the book is to do your own research and form your own educated opinion about these topics.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 4:31:41 PM PST
Jack Goodman says:
The smart way is the only way. Hard work is for losers. I run 2-3 miles per day and lift weights 2 times per week for 1.5 hours total - and keep bodyfat @ 5% - not 12% which is "normal". Ferriss gets to the elegance of the body. Key though is to keep finding new information like this and to take your game to a higher level. Walk around in a Ferrari of a body, that is the best revenge.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 11:04:01 PM PST
You must be a beacon of joy to those around you. How many millions of lives have you improved? Here's a thought - stop attacking people who ACTUALLY DO things & test them themselves. Just because you didn't find the smartest, fastest way to a goal doesn't mean Tim Ferriss didn't.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 2:41:55 AM PST
I'm already superhuman and have been a fitness blogger for years, but I like new material coming into the discussion. I'm willing to pay a fair price and spend a reasonable amount of time "mentally interacting" with good authors, bloggers, media makers.

I'm sure it will add a new angle for my LIFELONG fitness journey.

There is no destination- there is only the path.

www.usnavyfitness.blogspot.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 2:17:05 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 5:25:30 PM PST
L. Daly says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 4:17:26 PM PST
Mathmatics says:
I bought this book after reading about it in WIRED magazine, which seems to add some validity to it. I just got it so I am not ready to validate anything it says but what I am going to do is document everything. Video, pictures, diet, you name it. I'm taking a pure unbiased approach and giving it a shot. Am I skeptical? Affirmatively YES! My subject of focus is the chapter "FROM GEEK TO FREAK"; How to gain 34 Pounds in 28 days. So far I have purchased every dietary supplement mentioned in the chapter, except one, "BodyQUICK". After in depth research of BodyQUICK (Google), I found out that BodyQUICK is a product designed and sold by non other than Tim Ferris. Sold for the low low price of 49.95 at select websites (not available at your local GNC). Well I have to say, this really added to my skepticism, it screams MARKETING SCAM!! Apparently BodyQuick was sold to another company but still retailed by websites who heavily endorse his products. I know Timothy endorsed one product called Blue Stuff which was sued by the FTC for 3 million for false advertising, which also adds to my skepticism. Is this book the real thing? Or is Timothy using dirty marketing like the many late night infomercials aimed at the fat guy in the trailer park, who loves shopping at Walmart? Time will tell, and I am always up for an interesting experiment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2010 7:26:10 PM PST
Danny Davis says:
Just because he says he used it during one of his experiments doesn't mean he necessarily endorsing it; he's just being transparent. And if you're going to make accusations please use citations; you will be more credible. It's good to be skeptical but you're bordering downright paranoid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 2:18:05 PM PST
Caroline L. says:
Any money that he makes from affiliate marketing is going to be donated to DonorsChoose. You should check out his statements at his website regarding the supplements he recommends. Also, your name is misspelled.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 6:25:01 PM PST
A. Vohra says:
Yes you are right.. BodyQUICK was Tim ferris product. He already declared it in his first book. 4 hour work week. He already sold this company.. I mean he is not hiding this fact at all. He is very upfront about it anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 6:46:20 AM PST
Paul Cassel says:
Just because Ferriss created a supplement doesn't mean it's a fraud. Mathematics - I'm interested in you publishing your results after faithfully trying the techniques in this book.

I personally think the claim of 34 lbs of muscle in a month has to be bunk, but I'd like to be proved wrong. Claiming that this book has to be a pack of lies, as some have said, strikes me as being close minded. I am skeptical about the claims, but am open to the possibility that they are true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 11:21:19 AM PST
Jane Doe says:
You have recieved a lot of hate here by posting a very obvious conclusion. I just wanted to say that I concur and that all the Ferris-bots can go do something else for four hours. Like gain an IQ point. This book was a collosal waste of $14, since it made a very large amount of intense claims with very little evidence besides "I did it and it worked like magic!"

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 6:29:16 AM PST
Jojo says:
Recently saw Tim Ferriss on The Dr Oz show....the good doctor actually endorsed certain aspects of the book, like consuming 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of getting up and applying an ice or cold pack to the back of the neck or upper chest for 30 minutes to speed up metabolism .The jury is still out for Dr Oz on the once a week pigging out,however. I respect Dr Oz and his informed and researched opinions, and will consider buying this book and trying these suggestions for a leaner,healthier body.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2011 6:22:28 PM PST
S. Calhoun says:
but Ferriss has made a name for himself based on tricks and shortcuts. Nothing deep, slow, penetrating or insightful about it. Fast, quicker, on to the next thing, guess he knows what he's selling.

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 6:43:25 AM PST
Paul Cassel says:
While I won't disagree with you, S., on Ferriss, I'd like you to name another in this game who made a name for himself any other way. I can't.

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 10:45:59 PM PST
Denver W. says:
Dunkley and Alderman also bashed my review of the book. They have a LOT of free time to patrol the forums and reviews of amazon. Strangely enough, that free time only seems to be spent defending their views on this book. I'm going to have to say they have some affiliation to Ferris. A normal "fan" doesn't spend a full days work responding over and over and over to every 1 star review this book gets. I could use some extra funds because 4 hour workweek was a flop; I could write reviews too?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2011 7:52:32 AM PST
A. Perry says:
You are absolutely right. If you cannot get to the root of why you are not happy, fit, healthy, ect., you will never actually BE happy, fit, healthy, ect. However, that does NOT SELL - "tricks", "short-cuts" and "insider secrets" will. What the people selling this don't or won't tell you is that elite atheletes devote TIME AND ENERGY to being good at what they do. Changing the fundementals is WORK, but can be done in several steps, and yes there are tricks to help you along the way, but your are right, getting to the root is key.

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 1:36:26 PM PST
Jack Goodman says:
Paul Cassel - did we meet briefly at New Mexico Sports & Wellness?
Ferriss knows how to be a national class winner in martial arts and world class in tango, plus he has 2 bestsellers. I'm all for doing the right things right and for $14 @ Amazon, I get a lot of value from the book. I want to stay at a super fit level and increase brain power. Most people do not want that. Ferriss pushes the envelope, I like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2011 1:45:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2011 3:44:27 PM PST
Jack Goodman says:

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 4:26:26 PM PST
Paul Cassel says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2011 4:52:49 PM PST
Jack Goodman says:

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 5:36:48 PM PST
Paul Cassel says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about