Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

Battleship
Price:$17.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 12, 2009
I've played Battleship before at a family member's house. They had an older traditional version of the game with two separate cases, nice quality, etc. I loved playing it. My 8-year-old son enjoyed playing it with me, so I suggested that to my mother as a birthday present. Unfortunately, I didn't know there were different versions these days.

In this version, there is a single 2-sided console that the two players share. Unfortunately, the pegs and ships do not fit well into the holes, and since the board is vertical, they frequently fall out. If someone lightly brushes against a peg, it will fall out. If you look at a peg, it may fall out. The whole point is to be able to mark your misses and hits, and if you don't know what you've already guessed, what's the point? I was almost in tears with frustration after only 5-10 minutes of play. Sadly, this is a cheaply designed game that is not ready to be on the broader market.

On a side note, this version has a hexagon grid, so that there are more options as to how to orient your boats. In my mind, it makes the game a bit more complex, especially for children, and I prefer the traditional board with rows and columns.

Battleship is a great game, but do not buy this version.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2009
I'm hearing the upside down version featuring VELCRO will be coming out next year... so you might want to hold off a little longer if you havent already splurged. Im also hearing they are sending a tube of glue to all those that bought this version and bother to file a complaint with the company. Its nice to know they are responsive to their customers concerns.

I would have given this game 4 stars on the fun scale if only the pieces would have stayed in place. However, because this game more resembles "52 card pickup" than the original battleship, I can only give it 1 star.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2009
As others said, the pegs fall out constantly. Not worth the effort. This one's going back. Do not buy!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love Battleship, grew up with the game. Got this one for Christmas from my parents for my wife and I to start our board game collection. Was excited and flipped the box over and saw the layout of the game. Was surprised to see that the bases were attached and that the map sections were together in a hexagon. I grew up with a design from the early eighties with the separate cases. I personally like that design cause we would sit just about anywhere especially on couches.

This version of Battleship works better on a flat surface. Have played it several times and have not had the problems that other reviewers have had like the pegs falling out (though I can see that happening a bad design). We have inserted pegs in the same holes on opposite sides and the pegs haven't fallen out, have bumped the game a couple time and the ships and pegs stayed in. The only problem I have had is the pegs design has changed: not long and thin but short and a bigger diameter and when you have a big grouping of pegs together, it a little hard to fit a peg in the middle of the group with the peg being shorter. Other than that, I enjoy this version.

I am coming from a perceptive of a game design almost thirty years old. I like the graphics of this newer version and agree with Jared Castle about the NATO phonetic alphabet. I also like the modernized design of the ship pieces and the addition of the crewman that you have to rescue adds a nice touch. And the hexagon map allows for a vertical and diagonal layout. And I like the deep storage bins that swing into the base not likely to lose pegs like in the much older version and lastly when you are done with the game, you can remove the grid sheet and see how close you were. Example, after I won one game we looked and my wife got to see how close she was to hitting my battleship that she was looking for, she had surrounded it with misses.

I understand that with this simple design they save money since it uses less material and so the design was completely changed. I am planning out keeping this version (I really appreciate it from my parents) and am planning getting the older version with the separate cases so we can sit on couches and be really comfortable. I give it three stars, taking away one for the pegs design and another for being kinda to limited to a stable surface. I can see other reviewers having problems, but my pieces fit nicely just check it out and return if the pieces aren't fitting right. I say at least give it a try.

Update 1/19/2010: Have gotten the previous version of Battleship from my mom since she didn't know that she had two games. I was disappointed at the quality of the 2002 game compared to this one. On the 2002 version the pegs fell out by moving the game or bumping it. The pegs are hard plastic compared to the ones that came with the 2008 version which has a soft coating and they fit much better and don't fall out. The version from the eighties that I grew up with is definitely the best quality and fun wise. Then second place goes to the newest version 2008 and in last place the 2002 version. As a result I have changed my overall rating to 4 stars for the quality and playing experience.
on April 27, 2010
My daughter will be in third grade next fall and I thought it might be a good idea to introduce her to the game I loved playing so much as a child. The timing is also right for her as I can attest that it had allowed me to grasp the concept of Cartesian coordinate with relative ease; I have much to thank this game.

Therefore, when I was about to pick this game up on a recent shopping expedition, I was horrified to find that the good old orthogonal arrangement of holes was tweaked into a convoluted diamond pattern a la Chinese Checkers. The beauty that lay within simple yet educational nature of the game was totally obliterated in this edition. How am I going to convey to my daughter that her 'torpedo' is off by one to the right and two up thereby allowing her to understand how to read the x-y values off a Cartesian coordinate?

Also, the classic version I played in the late 70's came with two plastic attache cases. My friend and I would enter the room toting the attache case from opposite ends of the room and sit across the table from each other, thereby heightening the drama. This version just sits in the middle of the table... blah.

I cannot comment on the quality of the game pieces since this was one exception where I feel justified judging the content by looking at its cover. I believe that the content would not possess any redeeming quality.

I think I'll look at auction sites and try to score the version I used to play. New is not always better nor is it in any way improved.

This is what happens when idiot board members who make 7-figure salaries who are so out of touch with the rest of the world start making 'executive' decisions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We bought this for our 6 year old son. Very disappointed as it is cheaply made and not very functional. The ships and pegs fall out of the board frequently and it is hard for our son to determine the actual locations due to the weird hexagonal location spots and uneven grid. I went to the auction site and found a classic 1971 vintage battleship game for just a few more dollars than this one. It is just like the one I played when I was growing up. We have switched to playing actual games with the old vintage version. My son loves it. He uses the new updated non-functional version to play "make believe" games when we don't have time to play with him.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Wow, it sure takes a lot of design talent to take a game that can be played with two pieces of graph paper and a pencils, and turn it into something that is as aggrivating as it is fun. (Yes folks, you don't have to buy Battleship to play it, just print two copies of an empty spreadsheet with square cells, agree on some rules for numbers and types of ships, and the possibilities are endless.)

So, you have a game where two people have to set up independent grids of ships and put pegs in holes, so what do you do? Well, put both sides on one piece of plastic and mount them perfectly vertically of course! That way the pegs fall off while you play, and add to that wonderful feature the fact that this game has to be assembled and reassembled each time you play (if you want to store it in the box), and plastic pieces that are really hard to put together and take apart, and you have the recipe for literally minutes of fun!

Don't they play test games anymore? Anyone heard of prototyping before mass production? Anyway, buy an electronic version, or play on the computer, or use pencil and paper. Go lower tech or higher tech and have a blast.
on May 25, 2009
The pieces are constantly falling out. It ruined the game for me and I love Battleship. Pencil and paper is better. The whole point of having the game is to keep track of your shots and coordinates.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I just finished playing this with my 8 year old. Never been so frustrated with a board game in my life. The pegs fall out constantly... by the end of the game it's like it's raining pegs.
The fact that the board is connected to not only the other player but the tray the pegs are in makes it that much more frustrating.

The peg trays are too deep and narrow and it makes it hard to get them out. They're hinged and wicked tight so it's hard to push them in and you risk pegs flying out all over the place.

I just barely like there are more options for placement but because the pieces too bulky.

Final verdict... I wish I could return this game because it totally sucks. They've taken a good game and over engineered it to the point of make it crap.
on June 17, 2011
The only way this game can possibly make marketing sense is that Hasbro has secretly purchased Ebay, and is attempting to 'torpedo' the Battleship game, thereby creating a hyper-market for vintage Battleship game. Who knows what game is going to be targeted next in this evil plot to destroy the world's greatest classic games?...Stay tuned.

The game is too complex for the average single digit age child. If this version is intended to reach an older crowd, RENAME it, give it a different moniker and keep the 'traditional' one for the young ones.

Please, Hasbro, sink this or make it swim differently by calling it something else. It ain't Battleship.

See 1 answered question