VINE VOICEon March 3, 2006
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I own two Milwaukee corded sawzalls and their main use is for heavy demolition. We have five sawzalls (all Milwaukee) within our crew all together and they're all handled pretty roughly, yet they last though whatever you throw at them. I was pretty uneasy about the idea of a cordless sawzall back when the 18v was the most powerful cordless available... I doubted it could ever keep up with a corded sawzall.

When Milwaukee came out with their V28 line, I purchased the hammer drill and was outright shocked at how much more powerful it was then the 18v I had. After a month of use, I decided the pick up the V28 sawzall too. The very first day, I knew I had a winner. Although when cutting out old, extra-thick studs, you can feel a difference in power between the corded and cordless, the V28 sawzall definitely held its own and didn't lock up once. Just before lunch, I was cutting through a pipe and the sawzall seemed to suddenly die. At first, I thought I broke the thing, but quickly realized that the battery charge ran out. When they say that the power lasts until the very last minute, they REALLY mean it.

Another thing I love about the V28 line is the battery charge meter. I find it very useful to be able to take a quick look and find which of my batteries could use a charge, rather then finding out when you need them. It's a feature I'm finding more and more useful.

The only disappointment is the case that comes with the kit... it'll hold a third battery if you were to purchase one, but it doesn't have enough room between everything to hold extra blades. The compartment they have in the case is about half the size of the one in the corded sawzall case I have, so I can carry less blades. I wish they would go back to the metal cases, but since that's unlikely, all I can hope for is that they'll work more room into the cases for extra accessories.

The sawzall is one of my most used tools, particularly when first starting a job when demolition is most needed. Being free from the cord outshines the power difference that the corded models have over the V28 sawzall. Although I won't be getting rid of my corded sawzalls yet, the V28 certainly is, and will continue to be, my top choice. I think Milwaukee finally got them to the point where their shortcomings will be completely overlooked and a cordless sawzall will be as common as the cordless drill.

UPDATE: I've been using this on the job for well over a year now and it has seated itself as one of the most important tools on site. Unless a second sawzall is needed, the corded sawzalls aren't even unloaded from the trucks anymore. It has more then enough power to tackle ANY job we've needed it for... only slightly outpowered by the 11-amp models, but clearly more powerful then the 6-amp models. The fact that we can move around without being tethered down by a cord has made this everyone's favorite.

It's absorbed drops from as high as 10 feet onto plywood flooring without skipping a beat, and there's been no noticeable decline in performance from the batteries (comparing them to a battery I just recently bought). I still don't like the case though.

I highly recommend this tool to anyone needing a sawzall for professional use.
Color Name: NA
Milwaukee 0719-22 V28 Sawzall Lithium-Ion Cordless Reciprocating Saw Kit

My advice is to consider buying this Sawzall as part of the Milwaukee 0928-29 V28 Cordless 4-Tool Combo Kit. For $200 more, you'll get the V28 Hammer Drill/Driver, the V28 circular saw, and the V28 flashlight. All are excellent and designed for day-in day-out contractor use.

Cons:

- Milwaukee should incorporate a rotating handle that locks in the normal position, 90 degrees left, or 90 degrees right (similar to the handle on the SuperHawg drill); or, better yet, have a variable angle head like the Porter Cable Tiger Claw.

Pros:

- 28 volt Lithium-Ion batteries; the highest voltage available, and longest lasting, batteries; 3rd generation technology. The only reason to buy a 1st generation NiCad tool is, you can't afford NiMH or Lithium-Ion. Either one is far superior to NiCad.

- V28 power. This is my 3rd reciprocating saw, and the one I use most of the time. It's not as powerful as my 11.5 amp Porter Cable saw, but it handles most house renovation tasks. Not having a cord is, of course, the huge plus of this tool.

- Press a button on a V28 battery and 1 to 4 LEDs will shine, indicating remaining power. You'll know if it needs a charge BEFORE climbing the ladder, etc.

- Excellent ergonomics; comfortable handle and rubberized front grip, good switch function. Battery is NOT reversible, in spite of the Amazon sales pitch, but it really doesn't need to be.

- Quick and easy tool-less blade change. Takes about 1 second to remove or insert a blade. It's so easy, I remove the blade when transporting the saw or putting it in a tool case.

- Speed switch has all the choices needed: LOW, Lock, HIGH. Lock disables the ON switch. I use lock when removing the battery, changing the blade, or just carrying the saw with a blade installed.

- This is a terrific saw for tree or heavy brush pruning. With the 9" Milwaukee pruning blade (or a 12" wood blade), you can cut down decent-sized trees. Corded saws can be dangerous on such jobs, as the cords get in the way, get tangled in brush, or can trip you up; besides, the further a job is from a 110v receptacle, the more impractical a cord becomes.

- Tool is guaranteed for 5 years, parts and labor. (Register online at Milwaukee dot com.) Batteries are guaranteed for 2 years at full replacement, and prorated for 3 more years.

Summary:

I have to agree with Fine Woodworking's 2008 Tool Guide, which calls Milwaukee's cordless line-up, "the best tools for serious work".
on September 28, 2007
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I am a framing contractor and have 3 framing Crews. We work these tools hard, I love the V28 series so much I have purchased Combo Kits and the impact driver for all my crews, and a set for me. I have had a couble battery go bad, but the warranys are so good it hasnt cost me a dime. I cant beleive they have such good warrantys as hard as construction guys use these toos, they will whereout before the 5 year warrany is up. V28 tools and Max nailers are my favorite tool for work. Battery life lives up to the hippe!
on August 15, 2008
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I've owned the V28 Sawzall kit for a couple months and it's already paid for itself with all the work it has saved me. The pruning blade makes it easy to saw off tree limbs, and topping, shaping trees. No cord to get in the way.

I needed to saw off a section of a 4" pipe made of 1/8" aluminum for a mailbox pole. "The Torch" blade made short work of that. I could have spent 20 minutes using a hacksaw and gotten a ragged cut. But the Sawzall did it effortlessly in about 2 minutes with nice clean cut.

You can do just about anything with just two power tools: the Sawzall for heavy work and the Dremel for light stuff.
on July 18, 2006
Color Name: NA
I own 4 cordless recip saws and hands down by far this is the most powerful. Not only does the battery last a long time but the dual speed makes it work in all applications. Hands down this is the best!
on January 24, 2013
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I asked for a second battery and a pack of pruning blades - just what I need for cutting limbs and bursh maintaining County Park Trails as a volunteer. The saw quickly cuts 4" and smaller limbs and brush and does so quietly and with little risk of fire compared to gas-powered saws. One battery usually lasts me all day, so the second battery is just insurance against hiking the same section of trail the next day.
on March 12, 2012
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
Purchased for residential use. I took down a 14x16 deck in an afternoon. Saw is extremely powerful. My only complaint is the batteries only last about 35 minutes of continuous heavy duty use. Saw came with two batteries, that charge in about an hour. I would rate five starts if the batteries either lasted longer, or were a little cheaper.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2012
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
This is not a standard 18v tool.

The milwaukee 28v set to me, is when I want a coorded tool's power and longevity, but don't have access to power.

Having a big battery powered sawzall is safer for cutting through plumbing pipes because there is less risk of electrocuting yourself. Ditto for cutting through walls in demo work if you have not taken proper precautions a batter powered tool will give you a small amount of additional safety when compared to a coorded tool.

This battery is huge and a charge can last 4 hours easily. It can do things an 18v tool will struggle with, like cutting through cast iron pipe or 4x4s/studs.

The saw itself is also heavier duty, it's not just in the battery. It's heavier. The motor is bigger. There's more copper in the windings etc.

Not much else to say. It's the heaviest duty coordless set on the market.

Hope that helps.
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
Old habits are hard to break. I've been using a Milwaukee 18-Volt NiCd Sawzall for years. Every time I thought about upgrading, I would go the cheaper route and buy another 18-Volt battery. It would die. I would buy another battery. Please, if you are caught in this trap, don't do like I did. Take the high road. The new V-28 Lithium-Ion tools are fantastic and you will not regret it. Awesome power and long-lasting batteries that indicate how much charge is left. I now have an 18-Volt NiCd-antique for a garage sale. However, considering the small change I could get for it, I'll probably keep it and hang it on the wall in the wordshop as a reminder that cheaper isn't always better. Besides, Milwaukee Sawzalls are the best looking saws in the parade, even the old ones.
on September 26, 2009
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
Not much to write on this one. Plenty of power, reasonable weight, good run time, good balance.

Would be nice if it was built with LED lighting as many cordless tools are these days.

5 stars.