4.0 out of 5 stars Good saw, but beware...
Published on March 5, 2002 by G. A. Giordano

1.0 out of 5 stars Defects upon delivery
I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with defective saws.

Published on July 12, 2006 by Brian G. Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good saw, but beware..., March 5, 2002
This review is from: Milwaukee 6497-6 Magnum 15 Amp 10-Inch Sliding Compound Miter saw (Tools & Home Improvement)
Top quality saw. The fence system is great. The motor is excelent. It comes with a first quality blade. I won't ooze over the good stuff; there is plenty of that... I will get to the only real issues I have with the saw. First, the dust collection doesn't! Don't even bother putting the bag on, nothing comes out of the port. I have not botherd to hook it to the dust collection system and try it with suction. Not a big deal. Second, the saw was not square from the factory so I tweeked it in per the instructions and now it is square. BUT, there is too much free play in the slide system and support arm. It is easy to move a cut out of square by even slight pressure an any lateral direction on the handle. Not a big deal on most trim jobs, but if you are doing cabinets and need real precise cuts beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Saw to Buy, November 6, 2003
Robert S Uren (Iron Mountain, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned my Milwaukee 6497-6 10" slide compound miter saw for 2 yrs. I purchased a house that is 80 yrs old and did a complete restoration. I read a remark from Glenn TX. I have been a Toolmaker for 23 yrs, I work in tolerances of +.0000 to -.0002! So I challenged your remark that the saw is not within max. material condition for lateral movement. I used a Starret dial indicator and the lateral movement on my saw is +/- .008 with mild pressure exerted. When heavy pressure was applied my saw gave me a T.I.R (total indicator reading) of .024 or .012 in either direction.. 1/64 of an inch equals .015625! You have probably not utilised the locking pin located in the back of the saw when transporting it, confused it for a piece of luggage. The binding knobs to lock the slide on the saw are made not to white knuckle but mearly a slight sinch. And you people that talk about Makita (house of the rising sun) They make a fair product, but good luck trying to hold a precise angle with their saw they have thrust bearing float. And for those of you that say the dust collection system don't work, that is why God invented Chain Saws, wet wood is not good to cut with one of these nor does it make a good building material!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for the workshop., January 6, 2002
Jeff (SE MN United States) - See all my reviews
I just wanted to say that the Milwaukee 10" sliding compound miter saw is a tremendously great tool for the money. To all that say their saw is out of square, just loosen the screws holding both of the fences and use a square to align them with the cut in the kerf plate. Tighten the screws and make sure both fences are straight to each other.
The motor sounds great, the saw blade that is included is a super high-quality blade that is extremely sharp. The cuts are clean and smooth.
A nice thing about the kerf plate is that it comes without the slot in it. You cut the slot yourself with the sawblade which prohibits splintering on the bottom and helps make a clean cut.
The flip fence is very cool. It is so quick to move out of the way to do a compound cut.
The only thing that needs to be seriously redone by Milwaukee is the Dust Collection system. If you need a saw that collects all of its dust, then get a different saw. I could care less, though. It is not that bad.
I 100% recommend this saw to anyone needing a sliding saw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw in a class of its own!!, October 21, 2001
"troymill" (Kalispell, MT United States) - See all my reviews
This saw has lasted me 5 yrs. It shows no sign of letting up. I'm a professional trim carpenter and the ease of using this saw compares with no other. The compound miter gauge can easily be seen and adjusted. You can override the miter stops to get to ANY angle. I didn't figure it out 'til my employee showed me 2 yrs. ago when I lived in OH. The only thing I ever replaced on this saw were the brushes, the handle for the miter gauge and the arbor wrench. A total of under $50 spent on the saw in 5 yrs! I would definitely buy another, I've used the other saws quite a bit. I always come back to the Milwaukee it cuts smooth and fast and you will not find one with the convienences of this one. Your waiting for my one complaint? Milwaukee: MAKE ME A DUAL COMPOUND!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Workhorse, April 17, 2001
Jame M Crow Jr (Acworth, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I just finished my first job with this saw today and I loved the results. I was struggling between the Makita 10" slide and the 6497. My experience with Milwaukee quality & durability was the deciding factor & I believe you usually get what you pay for. This saw is easy to carry from the jobsite to the truck, mitre cuts were true to angle settings and the 15 amp motor eased through the material. This saw radiates quality construction and I like the fact there are no uneccesary bells and whistles, which usually end up broken down the road.
I would like to see Milwaukee improve the accessability of the slide lock and the operation of the bevel lock handle. All in all, I am proud of my saw.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defects upon delivery, July 12, 2006
I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with defective saws.

I've been a Milwaukee fan and user most of my life. I'm 52. So when I needed a miter saw for a job I naturally went straight to Milwaukee. I ordered a 6497-6 10 inch from an on line dealer (no one in town had one in stock) after quite a bit of compairison shopping. I actually almost bought a DeWalt because everyone in town had them in stock. Well the saw was delivered last Thursday 7-6-06. I set it up in my garage to test run it before taking it to the job site. During the test I set it on a 45 degree bevel and started to make a cut. The lock pin slid right down and engaged, locking the saw in the down position and causing it to jam. At that point it kicked so hard that it actually cracked the housing around the pin. Okay. Not that big a deal but now I couldn't take it to work and had to make about 25 phone calls to the supplier and Milwaukee to get a new saw sent out. Well the replacement came today 7-12-06 and I never even got this one out of the box.

While unpacking it I wanted to check the lock pin and make sure it worked. ( no need to unpack it if this one is defective too )

I never did find out if it worked because the pin on this one was actually completely broken off. I found it lying in the bottom of the box. I understand production and know that sometimes things just happen, but what are the odds that I would get two saws in a row that had a completely different defect on exactly the same part. I honestly don't know if I really want a Milwaukee or not at this point. I don't want to turn anyone off on Milwaukee here but I can't help wondering if quality control is really up to snuff in Taiwan and how many other things might be gettting missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money, January 16, 2006
I purchased this saw as a replacement for the Delta. Have used it in the workshop for about two years on all sorts of woodworking projects. It is very accurate and I have never had to readjust anything since the original setup. I reviewed many saws before I purchased this one but am convinced that I made the right choice. I have been doing wood working for more than fifty years and have always believed in quality tools. this was the right choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tool, June 10, 2001
Christopher Gilmer (Austin, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased with the performance and ease of use of the Milwaukee. My previous was a DeWalt and just wasn't the quality of this one. The slide mechanism is smoother and easier to lock. Overall this is an excellent tool and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Milwaukee Product, October 3, 2006
I have to say that this is one Milwaukee product that truly disappoints. Rather than being built in-house in Wisconsin or at one of Milwaukee/Atlas Copco's global facilities in Germany or Sweden, this saw is contract-built for Milwaukee by a Taiwanese manufacturer, presumably Rexon. While Bosch, Craftsman, a handful of DeWalt miter saws are also made in Taiwan, they offer better value and more features for the money, particularly the Bosch products. This alleged "Milwaukee" doesn't offer dual-bevel, a laser guide, and appears relatively flimsy compared to the products of other manufacturers. The Milwaukee has also showed poorly in woodworking reviews of compound sliding miter saws.

I would characterize this saw as of marginal quality, or in other words: "Anything But Heavy Duty." Give Milwaukee a call at 1-800-SawDust and let them know they can do far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome saw, November 9, 2006
In keeping with usual excellence attributed with Milwaukee Tools, this saw is the best addition to my tool set in ages. It has a 15 amp motor and a 55+ deg cut allowing me to make my own stair stringers. I have no complaint at all of this tool. The slides are set in a diagonal for greater stability and are machined from 1/4 inch thick stock. The slide is locking for straight compound cuts. Also, the motor has a lock for ease of blade changing. The wrench for the blade nut has a handy slot built in. There is only a small plate to loosen to expose the blade nut. Since it is a Milwaukee I expect to own this saw for years (decades).

Rate and Discover Movies