5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview of Rheingold's work, September 30, 2012
This review is from: Mind Amplifier: Can Our Digital Tools Make Us Smarter? (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I've been following Howard Rheingold on Twitter and through his website for a while now. This short (62 pages), Ted book provides an accessible overview of some of Rheingold's key ideas. The book begins with a brief historical account of humans' relationship with tools (from thought and language, to the alphabet, to the printing press) and makes the argument that because of the unique capabilities of the human brain, humans co-evolve with their tools. Drawing on research conducted from a variety of disciplines (physics, mathematics, psychology, artificial intelligence, etc.), Rheingold provides a framework for thinking about how we might best harness current digital tools to work collectively to solve the many problems we face. What I like most about Rheingold is that he never sugar coats the digital revolution; he acknowledges that technologies have been used in destructive ways, yet he remains optimistic that by emphasizing mindfulness, compassion, and empathy, digital tools can transform our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man and machine, December 5, 2012
I found this book to be a concise study of how the human mind is molded and aided by computer technology,particularly the Internet. Groups of people can collaborate without ever meeting, or even communicating directly with each other. All in all, this book is brief, but thought provoking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be mindful, will travel., February 28, 2013
This book makes an excellent point for changing the way our media and social common grounds interact, if we hope to achieve a global sense of progress. Definitely a worthwhile read. The author references sources and lays down concise material without too much fluff in which to lose the point trying to be made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, February 2, 2013
It takes you to the next level on technology comprehension. Easy to read and a great travel companion. I definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief and to the point, October 21, 2012
Mr. Rheingold's experience on the field of Internet and collaborative culture is undisputed. I truly enjoyed reading this brief ebook in one seating. Inside you will find great references you can surely use at a cocktail party or bar-mitzvah. If you are interested on the history of Internet, how it is supposed to work and where it may go then this is a must read. In fact, I liked it so much it prompted me to write my first review on Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Common Themes, Interesting Thought-Points, July 18, 2014
Having been a fan of his writing, I read this thinking that it would be a little bit deeper and probably a little bit thicker than some of the previous thoughts I've had. What I found is that it's not that far from where I have been thinking, nor that it was so far ahead of where I've been thinking that it was unattainable. I think Mr. Howard had given a lot to just consider, but an approach in wanting for how we should think about technology and the tools we say that make our lives better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The obverse of THE SHALLOWS, December 10, 2012
Amazon Customer (Loveland, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I recommend this sin to anyone who has read THE SHALLOWS by Nicholas Carr. Both are excellently written, but one is incomplete without the other. If anything, I think MIND AMPLIFIER is more interesting and stimulating and certainly more optimistic than THE SHALLOWS, a best seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Larger magazine article, January 10, 2013
Larger than a real magazine article without really adding much to the informative nature as a book. I liked the basic premise and there was conclusion, just no climax.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Historical Perspective, December 31, 2012
I liked the author's approach of comparing the effect of the internet with other similar mind changing innovations throughout history. It presents booth sides of the impact of the internet on our mental abilities. It is also a good companion to another book that I read, The Shadows which tries to be negative about the effect of the internet affecting the function of our brains and behavior.