5.0 out of 5 stars "Mind Control" does justice to Bob Marley's legacy
Published on March 20, 2007 by D. Wees

3.0 out of 5 stars few reggaes, lots of hip hops and raps!
it's ok for me, but i was xpecting more reggae tunes. the hip hop and rap songs were fine, and we can hear Marley's blood on his voice, like hear ziggy, or remember when he was on the melody makers... may be hear latin reggae be much better than hear influences of the "anglo" market. we can make some fusions but don't forget roots and the island grooves.
Published on May 5, 2008 by I. Montalvo Rivas

5.0 out of 5 stars "Mind Control" does justice to Bob Marley's legacy, March 20, 2007
D. Wees "Twice Nightly" (Barquisemeto, Venezuala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
"Mind Control", the debut album from Stephen Marley, the fourth of Bob Marley's children, is full of great reggae and dancehall beats, passionate lyrics, great guest appearances, and great vocals. Stephen's vocal tone is uncannily similar to his father's, and his songwriting ability demonstrates greater range than that of his brothers (with the exception of Ziggy). The album is a blend of reggae, dancehall, hip-hop, rock, and nyabinghi percussion, and the lyrics cover topics such as isolated loneliness, political corruption, romance, ganja, and of course Rastafarianism and how it affects everyday situations.

The standout tracks would have to be "The Traffic Jam", a heavy dancehall track which features Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley, "Chase Dem", a politically driven reggae song that could easily pass as a long-lost Bob Marley B-side, and "Iron Bars", which could be the next roots reggae classic. The rest of the album is all very well produced and performed, and I can honestly say Stephen Marley is probably my favorite of all the Marley children. Since the album is so musically diverse it really has the chance to please just about anybody, but I know for sure that fans of Bob Marley and the Wailers, the Melody Makers, or just reggae music in general, will highly enjoy this amazing album. The "angry lion" has finally been released.....

5.0 out of 5 stars An album for the original lovers, December 12, 2009
A. Brumant "Andy B." (Santa Cruz, Trinidad and Tobago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
This is definitely an album for the lovers. The lover of raw Marley power that is. So, you have bought the original "Mind Control" album and feel in love with the lyrical prowess and production ability of Stephen Marley. You always wondered who was the power behind the second wave of Marley and here he is with his first album. And the album was excellent.

Now comes the Acoustic slant to the album in which he himself claims captures the original vibe he wanted. And capture it did!!! The entire album (including bonus track) is passionate, powerful and raw. It reminds me of some of the concerts he does. The album specifically highlights the vocal range of Stephen as well as his lyrical power.

I don't like to compare the children as each has ther own strengths and pulling power....plus there is no vacancy to fill as Bob is alive and well through his music. However, if you are looking to re-kindle that Marley passion that you feel during his live performances, look no further than this album.

My personal favourites - Lonely Avenue, The Mission, Traffic Jam, the bonus track Someone to Love...........who am I kidding? I love them all!!! LoL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, March 24, 2007
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
People looking for a pure reggae album shold look elsewhere. Only a couple roots reggae tracks are on Mind Control. Like his brother Ziggy, Stephen delves into a variety of genres other than the pure reggae that characterized the Melody Makers' albums. Is this a good thing? Most definitely. Eventually I would love to see Stephen unite with his siblings again and do a pure reggae album, but for now it's interesting to hear him go in another direction. Mind Control is a very strong outing from a guy who has primarily played second fiddle to Ziggy and Damian Marley. Stephen's voice has matured quite a bit over time, evolving in a distinctive manner. It works well in the context of Mind Control, with a list of great guests adding to the mix. The result is a smooth group of songs that do not get boring.

On a side note, and not to take anything away from Amazon, the Best Buy version of Mind Control has two bonus tracks, which are solid. I don't like these exclusive deals, as I think the bonus tracks should be included on all versions rather than be a part of a promotional deal. But potential buyers of the album should keep the bonus tracks in mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Marley - New Legacy, May 1, 2007
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
I really liked this album. I'm really confused about people giving it a poor review for not being more like traditional reggae. Stephen is not his Dad and people shouldn't expect for him to be. Bob Marley left a legacy that is hard to match but I think Stephen's music has its own stamp and should be recognized as such. He modernizes reggae a bit and allows other musical influences to shine through (i.e. flute music, flamenco guitar). I have been looking forward to an album of his since his guest vocal appearances in other albums always leave me wanting more. I've always enjoyed his creativity in musical arrangements and I seriously thought his star as an artist needed a little more light. I enjoyed this album for what it is, a new interpretation of reggae. I was really sad this had only 12 tracks, but guess I can't be too greedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent music, February 19, 2010
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
I have been enjoying this albulm in all it's acoustic splendor. If you like reggae music, rythmic guitar, and any of bob marley's music then get this albulm. Very good stuff. Peace everyone :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't label this as roots-reggae just yet..., May 5, 2008
This review is from: Mind Control (MP3 Music)
I've been waiting for Raggamuffin's solo album since '03, and I'm not disappointed one bit.

Stephen's first album really shows his range as a music producer, as he has been knee-deep in the business since the late 80's, playing guitar for brother Ziggy's band, then working the studio sound board on countless others' albums; namely, the Fugees, (his bro) Damian Marley and Erykah Badu.

Many reviewers are discounting this release because it's not true roots reggae, but I will say this: I am a fan of the reggae of the 70's. I was never excited about any of the pop-influenced releases of Ziggy M. I would rather jam to some Black Uhuru, Steel Pulse, Culture or early Aswad. But this album, for some reason, captivates me. There are a few stripped down roots songs (Mind Control, Chase Dem) to satisfy your thirst for the old Bob M.-style reggae, but then there are numerous tunes which blend Caribbean so-ca & hip-hop styles with American sampling, and all of it comes together with such ease, flowing perfectly from one track to the next.

There isn't a weak track on the album, and it's obvious that this man is a production genius. The most refreshing thing about the entire album is Stephen's voice...he sounds so much like his father, it's ridiculous.

I just saw him perform at Sunfest down in South FL this weekend, with brothers Damian and Julian, and they tore the place up with their music...people of different generations, races, religions, ancestry; all feeling the vibe, and grooving to his intoxicating music...In my opinion, if you only add ONE more reggae album to your collection the rest of your life, it should be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marley Legacy lives, March 20, 2007
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful CD. I waited patiently for this cd and I am very pleased. Steve Marley definitely delivers on this album. My favorite tracks are "Traffic Jam", and "Let Her Dance".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut From Stephen, May 12, 2007
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
I won't repeat everything that everyone else has said about Stephen. I have seen him perform live 5 times now -- the last time in April 2007 as a part of the Mind Control tour. The show was great, by the way. "Mind Control" is very good overall. It's hard to even categorize his style. There are only 2 roots reggae songs on the album (Chase Them and Lonely Avenue, which are both great.) The rest of the album is equally great.

Favorite lyric: "Stand in Love. Don't fall in Love." (Lonely Avenue)

Favorite part of the album: At the end of "Inna Di Red", a brief 2-second audio clip plays, which is actually Bob Marley singing "If I ache, Natty inna Di Red", which is a sample from Bob's classic tune "Natty Dread" -- pure niceness. This reminds me of Damian Marley's song "The Master Has Come Back." The hook "the master has come back" is actually a sample of Bunny Wailer from his song "Bide Up" from Bunny's classic album "Blackheart Man" (another nice touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful Rasta, July 28, 2010
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this album since the day I received it (about 5 days straight now). If you like Stephen's original version of Mind Control you will really dig this album. This is also a good introduction to Stephen's special quality and infusion of eclectic reggae. For those of you who do not consider themselves "Reggae Enthusiasts" this album I believe will resonate with you in spite of that.

If you enjoy soulful music with pure reality this is the album. A great cool and calm vibe runs through it from beginning to end. I think one of the biggest surprises on the album has to be the bonus track "Someone to Love" which is just solid and very unique.

I'm an avid Reggae listener and this has definitely got to be one of the best albums in the genre I have heard in many years. Beautiful Rasta...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob would be proud, April 1, 2007
This review is from: Mind Control (Audio CD)
Finally Stephen Marley's first solo album has been released. It was scheduled to be release about a year ago, but it has been well worth the waiting. Stephen has done a lot of work for the albums of his brothers, showing his talents, but now it's time for him to feature.

I did not want to compare him to his father, but listening to the album I can't help doing it anyway. I've got the feeling that, if Bob Marley was stil alive these days, this is an album he could have made. The music, the lyrics all got that Bob Marley vibe. Especially tracks like Iron Bars, Chase Dem and Inna Di Red.

It's a great album and about time Stephen steps in the spotlight! I just can't stop playing it.

Mind Control (Acoustic)