5.0 out of 5 stars A Mystery Comic series with appeal to non-comic readers
I read comics. A lot of comics. Even some of the best of them I would never recommend to anyone who does not like the graphic novel already.

Published 17 months ago by leesmithy

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I'd heard excellent things about Mind the Gap and saw that the reviews were quite favorable, so imagine my surprise when I found myself disappointed by this first volume.

I can sum up my dissatisfaction with one simple reason: I did not care about a single character.

Published 9 months ago by Scott William Foley

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Art to Partnered with Greatly Crafted Mystery, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)
Mind The Gap by Jim McCann and Rodin Esquejo is the story of a young wealthy New Yorker (Elle) who has been put in a coma after being attacked. She is transported into a sort of coma world with other coma victims. The mystery deepens the more we find out more about Elle's friends and family. McCann gives you just enough to stay intrigued and guessing on who is behind the attack but can't quite prove it. All the characters are well thought out, real and unique in their own way. Esquejo's are is nothing short of spectacular. His detail and realness is second to none. Sonia Oback's colors add the tone for each scene.

If you're a mystery fan who is willing to dive into the spiritual this is the book for you. But be warned after reading this you'll just watch and wait for the calendar go by until the next volume comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mystery Comic series with appeal to non-comic readers, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)

This is not Superheroes. This is not Bloody and Empty. This is a contemporary New York crime mystery with a special spice blend of lucid comas and dark hidden family secrets. This isn't a story about magic... but there is some rotten science a foot I can tell you that. Ever wanted to hang out with coma patients inside their head? Do it in this comic. Ever want to see what happens to their loved ones? Do it in this comic! Ever want to follow the detectives and doctors that try and solve the case? Follow them OR BEAT THEM TO IT. If you do not like science fiction elements do not let them keep you from this comic... let your love of a good mystery and layered contemporary characters win out.

This comic is for people who LOVE mysteries. Do you watch any tv show and try and figure out the killer before the show does? Are you ultimately depressed when you are always right? THIS COMIC IS FOR YOU. Beautifully drawn with clarity and written with layers of meaning, the team behind Mind the Gap give you all the clues you need to try and figure out this one before any of the cast do. So either go along for the ride in a wonderfully written tale of betrayal and loyalty or pick over the tiny clocks giving you actual times to help you make your own timeline and eliminate suspects. This is a who-done-it that leaves me dying to read what is coming next because the twists are that unexpected and oh so fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim McCann is amazing, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)
This book has some of the greatest pacing I have ever seen in comics. Jim is setting up a masterpiece here and I suggest you start at the beginning while these trades are still available.

5.0 out of 5 stars I do mind the Gap!!, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)
If you really like a mystery and storytelling that has a lot of twists, this book is for you. The art work in the book is very solid. McCann really shines in his creator-own book when complex characters. I love the monthly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind the Gap, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)
Mind the Gap is an excellent must read! The plot twists and turns and made me stay up too late at night because I could not put it down. The vivid imagery is haunting...

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best new titles of 2012, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)
I initially purchased the first issue of this book for the art, simply put its fantastic. That said lots of comics have great art, not all of them have an enthralling story to draw you in. Mind the Gap does, its been on my monthly pull list ever since. When the trade came out I picked it up as well and I couldn't be happier. This is a great psychological/paranormal mystery, I highly recommend everyone pick up a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars hard to follow, but still an amazing read, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)
it can be hard to follow sometimes due to a lot of the character designs not being differentiated enough, but the premise is really cool, the characters themselves are interesting and seem like they have a whole lot of backstory to be told, and the art style is amazing. really feels like a solid modern comic/GN.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool new writer, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)
Image has been PUMPING OUT cool new series, the capital gained from the Walking Dead boom has let them hire great new wirters and artists. This new series shows promise but is a little convoluted

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 23, 2013
This review is from: Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP (Paperback)

Ellis, the main character, is attacked in the subway and taken to the hospital. There she has physically entered a coma but her psyche has traveled to the astral plane where she interacts with other coma sufferers. Elle must work out her own attack as she struggles to remember even the most basic of facts about herself.

The list of potential attackers is quite large: her mother, her father, her brother, her boyfriend, a few doctors, as well as what is implied to be a clandestine organization of some sort. But here's the thing - Elle is not especially likable. Frankly, nothing about her character makes me sympathize with her nor do I really care who attacked her. This is, of course, a problem when the entire series appears to be hanging on that core plot point.

The dialogue jarred me a bit as well. The problem with trying to write trendy, cool dialogue is that it becomes dated rather quickly and if a reader happens to be neither trendy nor cool (such as me), the dialogue reads incredibly hokey.

Finally, the art is beautiful, but I did not find it particularly dynamic. Each panel, for the most part, depicts a person or people talking. There isn't much that I would consider visually striking or fluid. Yes, the artist is very good at drawing people and backgrounds, but I didn't feel it moved the story along well. Granted, it would be difficult to draw page after page of people talking and doing not much else.

A protagonist who is not all that charismatic, a mystery that isn't especially important to me, cheesy dialogue, and largely uninteresting artwork - Mind the Gap did not impress.

~Scott William Foley, author of Andropia

ARRAY(0xa3483c90)

Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP
Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers TP by Jim McCann (Paperback - October 30, 2012)
$9.99 $8.80