5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a game changer for your health
Published 21 months ago by Ken Jaques

3.0 out of 5 stars "have more sex and you'll cure cancer"
There's some good stuff in this book, and studies have shown for a while that there is a benefit to positive thinking, but Rankin's views can also end up damning those who die as having sabotaged their own health. I really don't believe my friend's 10 y.o. daughter got lymphoma because she had negative or defeating thoughts, which is the conclusion you're left with if you...
Published 20 months ago by R. Wheeler

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a game changer for your health, May 7, 2013
This review is from: Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself (Hardcover)
My thoughts are that the material in this book truly leads us to shift our thinking about how we look at our health and illness, and REMEMBER the body's innate ability to help heal itself. It contains a wealth of information, as well as practical approaches for you to develop your own personal approach to your health and happiness. I would go so far as to suggest that this book should form part of a curriculum for students from early ages where subconscious beliefs and programming are first formed, right through to medical school. Anyone diagnosed with a health condition, anyone "worried" that they might be predisposed to a condition, or anyone simply looking to maintain their existing good health can benefit from reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meditations on Medication, February 7, 2014
It's never too late to change your perspective on what health and wellness means. If you read this book today, get ready for some incredible revelations. The information Dr. Rankins presents may not all be new news, but its powerfully expressed and the time is right. People, like myself and most likely anyone reading this, are searching for answers on how to live healthy and simply. The answer of course is that we have everything we need inside us it just takes an eloquent author to tell us that! A book that has helped me realize the power of self-expression to self-heal is Art and Healing by Barbara Ganim.

What makes Mind Over Medicine so different from the other books is that she provides information that is grounded in scientific study from mainstream medical journals in accessible language. She challenges the Western medicine culture without disparaging it. Instead, she advocates the power of positive thinking, proactive self-care, and seeing wellness with an open mind. I wish there was an index, but she organizes her case well into three sections:

1) Evidence of mind-body connection
2) Areas in the body where the mind can create healing, which includes the real physiology/mechanics of what goes on in the body
3) Methods to change your belief systems and habits to a personal health prescription

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing Book--Everything You Want To Know About Mind-Body Medicine Without The "Woo-Woo", May 10, 2013
*****
This cutting-edge book is unique in its mission--the author (a conventional medical doctor who has left her mainstream practice in order to assist people in healing holistically) has wildly succeeded in her attempt to prove scientifically that in so many ways we can heal ourselves. The book is unique because its approach is not woo-woo or only anecdotally-based, but grounded in science and in studies from mainline medical journals. This is not an academic or scholarly book, however; it is accessible for any reader and will especially appeal to those who want concrete ways based on sound medical research to embark upon their own healing, even if they are staying within conventional (allopathic) medicine.

The book is endorsed by Christiane Northrup, MD; life coach Martha Beck; Bernie Siegel, MD; shame researcher Brene Brown, PhD; Larry Dossey, MD; and others such as Anita Moorjani, Danielle Laporte, SARK, and Chris Guillebeau. If you like and respect these authors, you will most certainly enjoy this book immensely.

The author has developed a new wellness model that she has details in the last part of the book. Her talents as a physician and a type of life coach have merged in this model. It looks to be very useful. Just from working through it in the book, the reader can develop her/his own personal health plan.

The author does not disparage conventional doctors or allopathic medicine even when she points out their flaws, but advocates that all practitioners work together as part of the patients' health care team.

Some topics covered include: meditation, current research on optimism and happiness, workaholism, community, spontaneous remission, the placebo effect, the nocebo effect, limiting beliefs, and so much more. These are not the same things you've read everywhere else, either--if you care about this area of study and are a healer, you will want to own this book.

The book can be useful to those who are struggling with illness (as the author herself did), those who are well, practicing medical professionals (ah, if only more would read this!), and those who work with mind-body interactions (which should be all healers of any type). I especially recommend it to readers like myself who are life coaches working with advanced mind-body tools who want an accessible explanation for why their modality works--who want an explanation of how--exactly--the mind creates emotions--the book is worth it for that information alone.

The only way I can think of that this book could be improved upon is if it had an index...though my copy is highlighted and self-indexed with notes, and I have a feeling that yours will be the same!

Highly recommended.
*****

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading for Medical Students, June 4, 2013
This is a first in a continuing series of self-help books I will be reviewing for Hay House Publishing. I am not being financially compensated to write these reviews and they are based solely on my over 36 years of experience in helping and healing other people as a self-help practitioner.

The book I chose for my first examination and review is "Mind Over Medicine" written by Lissa Rankin, M.D. I chose this book first because I wanted to read something written by someone from the field of "established medicine" rather than someone from my own field of spiritual healing.

The book is divided into three parts. Part One is entitled "Believe Yourself Well." In this section of the book Dr. Rankin gives us voluminous amounts of studies and anecdotal evidence in regards to the importance of the mind helping the body to heal. The book is heavily footnoted if you wish to follow up on her references.

I found this section of the book to be very interesting because here we have an M.D., Dr. Rankin, not only acknowledging the importance of many things such as bedside manner, love, compassion, and other "spiritual aspects" in helping people to heal but also reciting case studies proving it. In my opinion, for the average M.D. to acknowledge such things is highly unusual but I wish it were the norm rather than the exception. Thus, Dr. Rankin proved to me from the outset that she is no "average" M.D.

I very much enjoyed the first part of the book as she included a lot of personal stories along with the research studies so I found it well-written and entertaining as well.

Part Two of the book is called "Treat Your Mind." In this section of the book Dr. Rankin starts out with a chapter called "Redefining Health". I was very heartened to see her defining health in much the same way that I personally define it which is to include more than just physical health. In other words, she included things like having healthy relationships, sexual health, spiritual health, mental health, having a life purpose, and a healthy, non-toxic work environment among other things.

In this section she also went over many more studies which backed up her assertions that these other areas of life and existence were just as, if not more, important in maintaining a person's physical health. This is one of the things that I liked best about her book. Since she is a classically trained M.D. her viewpoint and experience made her "find proof" for all the phenomena she was researching and observing. Thus, this book is written not only for lay people, or people seeking alternative treatments to heal themselves, but also for medical students and established doctors as well.

The last part of the book is for people who want to "write their own prescription." In this section she seeks to help people lead a happier life, even people who may have some "incurable" disease. She has included many links and protocols to help anyone change their lives for the better and quoted more studies showing the advantage people who are happy have in possibly curing themselves.

Overall I found her book entertaining, well-researched and very helpful. After finishing it, I am fully convinced that her book could very well help change the mind of an established M.D. I also believe that if her book was required reading for first year medical students that Dr. Rankin could achieve her goal to revitalize the art of medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy-to-read, yet scientific view of the mind/body connection, June 8, 2013
Dr. Lissa Rankin writes about going through her life to identify areas in which she could create more wholeness, and in the `Physical Health' section, claims "I eat way too much cheese". Bless you Dr. Rankin, me too. Now I want to give you a hug. Dr. Rankin is a person who has lived through tough times, some physical and some circumstantial. By working through the process of healing herself, she is able to recommend a process for writing one's own health prescription.

Many books of the mind/body medicine genre state `facts' that feel unsupported. Others fail to make the connection between the mind and the body explicit (i.e., think good thoughts, increase serotonin release, insert magic, and you get well). I am most appreciative of her scientific and medical background. The author makes good use of this background to provide the results of reams of medical studies in an interesting and informative format, so there is never a point where you feel you are required to `insert magic here'.

Dr. Rankin divides the book into three sections. The first is devoted to providing evidence to the mind/body connection. The second section identifies areas in which the mind can create healing. The third section is devoted to the methodology that can assist you in changing your belief systems and patterns to more healthy alternatives.

Regarding this methodology, and as a coach and therapist myself, I appreciate her multiple warnings that working with belief systems and thought patterns is best done with the help of a trained person to walk alongside. The questions she poses look simple enough, but deep digging in these areas can often bring up emotional issues and old traumas that may require assistance to heal. I believe that the development of a robust prescription is difficult for most people to do alone, even with this book. This idea is mentioned numerous times by the author, and when she relates her experiences one can see that she had arranged for the assistance of skilled counselors, teachers, and guides to help her toward wholeness and healing.

All in all, I recommend this book highly. I am certainly keeping it as a reference. It is one of those gems that I wish I could hand to everyone who walks into my office. So "Brava", Dr. Rankin. Thank you for writing a book that clearly explains the mind/body connection and provides a holistic methodology for both leading a healthy life and healing from disease.

*This book was sent to me free from Hay House. The reviews that I post are my own personal opinions and expressions.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Be Healthy, May 27, 2013
Marjorie Florestal (Sacramento, California) - See all my reviews
"What if I told you that caring for your body is the least important part of your health ... that for you to be truly vital, other factors are more important?" Thus begins Dr. Lissa Rankin's new book Mind Over Medicine. This might seem a radical suggestion for some, but Lissa supports her claims with science-based evidence gathered from reputable sources, including The New England Journal of Medicine and the well-regarded Spontaneous Remission Project. Her intention is not to suggest the body is unimportant, but rather to show the variety of factors that go into living a healthy life.

There is much to grab the attention, but I was particularly drawn to her discussion of how work affects our health. Lissa begins that section with the story of Satoru Hiraoka, a middle manager for a Japanese precision factory in Osaka, Japan. Hirako routinely worked 12 to 16 hour days and 95 hour work weeks for 28 years without complaint. Even on the day he died, Hiraoka managed to log in a 15 hour day. Satoru Hirako was a victim of Karoshi or "death by overwork," a condition that takes the lives of roughly 10,000 Japanese workers every year. As a lawyer in a profession that prides itself in working hard, I was deeply disturbed by Hiraoka's story. Is any job really worth risking our lives? But the truth is, we do it all the time. I've certainly had jobs that hurt my health, and I kept going either for the excitement or prestige, the money or just plain inertia. Lissa's own story of leaving a soulless job in medicine behind to reclaim her health was particularly inspiring. She is not just a talker or researcher, she indeed has lived the experience.

I came away from reading Lissa Rankin's book with hope and inspiration. Dr. Rankin is one of the few medical voices out there providing real, evidence-based support for the proposition that a healthy life isn't just about taking pills and listening to our doctor. Her book does so much to empower individuals to take control of their own health. It is definitely worth the read.

PLEASE NOTE: I received this book as part a special program hosted by the publisher giving writers/bloggers free access to certain books in return for a commitment to read and publicly review the book. Of course the views represented above are solely my own and could not be bought and paid for at any price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Health is what you do., October 24, 2013
Mind Over Medicine is about a solution to a great American problem; we let our jobs control our lives, and our lives control our jobs. In a recent issue of Minds magazine, some cops from Oregon took a meditation course as a way to reduce stress. Most of them scoffed at the idea; they all had hobbies, pastimes, and things to do outside of work, so what use would they have for meditation and yoga? But the truth is they needed it badly. The job was often boring rather than active, and that made them resentful. The resentment made it harder to maintain self-control when dealing with rude civilians, and there were numerous complaints.

Dr. Lissa Rankin has written a well-researched and highly enjoyable book on overworked Americans and what we can do about this. She makes it very clear; Americans tend to work long hours and lack true happiness. Worse than the long hours, we have long commutes, and we often hate our jobs. But in the chapter Loneliness Poisons the Body, we see how in one small town had far less stress. The town was Roseto, Pennsylvania, founded by Italian immigrants in the early 20th century. Doctors found that there was no suicide, alcoholism, drug use, or crime, and that heart disease was rare. Was it the olive oil? No, the residents cooked everything in lard. Healthy food? No, they all loved pizza and sausages, and their diet was 40% fat. Genetics? They had the same genes as all other Italian Americans. Then secret was communal activity; families, and even multifamily groups, would gather nightly for group singing, while all the kids played together. Happiness was the key to their health.

Roseto didn't do well in the modern era. As the younger generation left, the parents had less to do with themselves. As younger college-educated people came back, they influenced their younger townspeople with ideas, most of them about material things. The kids started demanding more, and feelings of discontent spread. By the 1980's, there were more heart attacks among the residents. The chapter Death by Overwork is something that most Americans ignore. Why do we work such huge hours to pay for a huge home, when we could live in a smaller one and work less? Is it necessary for the kids to go to expensive colleges, when community colleges are within biking distance?

Years ago, I visited a family in Israel that lived in a tiny house, the size of a trailer. We ate dinner on the patio, and the father told us how he'd fixed the roof himself. When we left, my father spoke about how shocked he was. "They don't have any money at all," my father said, "their home is so small." But I didn't see it that way. The family had no mortgage to pay, only two of their kids were still living at home, and they didn't have to pay for college. In short order, the family was 100% solvent. But if you have a huge house, two cars, and a kid going to an expensive college, are you truly rich? Are you in debt? Do you have to work such huge hours to pay for what you have?
Unless you are free from debt, you will never be truly free.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bold reappraisal of traditional medical wisdom - a breath of fresh air, June 3, 2013
A failing of science is its slavish adherence to empirical method. What can't be easily or clearly measured is almost always discounted. Because of this many anomalous data readings have been ignored in the formulation of theories, particularly in the formulation of medical theories. This book is a fascinating journey into the relationship between the mind (our attitudes and feelings) and our health. Though it is not the first or only book of its kind, it builds on the emerging work of cytolologists like Bruce Lipton and other forward thinking scientists who have stepped outside of the empirical comfort zone to find connections between the mental state and our physical health even down to the cellular level. Dr. Rankin brings the skills of a medically trained researcher to this process and demonstrates convincingly that, despite the fact that we may not entirely understand the mechanism of this mind/body relationship, the effects are as clear and powerful as say smoking at a clinically significant level or of a physical trauma. As we look at the growing cost of medical care and the epidemic of stress ailments, it may be that an understanding of the somatic expression of feelings both bad and good may carry us into a new age of enlightenment. I thought this was a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is HOPE - Even if you aren't sick - READ THIS BOOK, May 8, 2013
The world needs this information, both the scientific info that seems to be hidden by big biz and big healthcare, and the soul-full info that reminds us to choose to feel the hope laid out in the scientific evidence. We do have power within us. Mind Over Medicine will gently and powerfully remind you that as a patient you can be your own advocate. You can begin your healing or maintain your wellness from within first. It will challenge health care practitioners to begin acknowledging the mind-body-spirit connection. This book put a spark back in me and I can't wait to share it with my clients, my family, and my health care practitioners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Book, June 9, 2013
I read a lot of books. Some worth recomending. I've been buying this one for other people. I'll bet you lunch, that you need this book

Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself
Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself by Lissa Rankin (Hardcover - May 1, 2013)
$24.99 $17.43