5.0 out of 5 stars Author Shows How Health is Like Wealth
This may be the most relaxing book I've read. Alex Ong's tone is supremely authoritative yet as patient as a caring father. The result is magic.

Published on February 6, 2010 by Citizen John

1.0 out of 5 stars Under-Researched and Over-Rated
Heed the word simplistic in the favorable reviews. This book may be worthwhile for those who have little knowledge of nutrition or healthy eating. Readers will find a lot of bulleted lists and a lot of big print in this book; what readers won't find is well-documented research. The single page of notes inlcudes only minmal sources. In short, the book makes a lot of...
Published on February 2, 2011 by Vicki S

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Author Shows How Health is Like Wealth, February 6, 2010
This review is from: Mind Your Own Wellness: Turning Thoughts Into Reality (Paperback)

In Mind Your Own Wellness, Ong accumulated an immeasurable quantity and quality of information regarding nutrition, psychology and human nature, biology, disease and aging, the food industry in the U.S., stress, wellness, self-esteem and wealth. He shaped this information and presented it in the most positive and accessible manner imaginable. In doing so, Ong has given us a great gift that far exceeds the price of the book.

No short cuts to increased energy and confidence were provided. Perhaps none exists but that is probably for the good since we're prone to stress ourselves attempting to find solutions using shortcuts. The focus is on the way we think coupled with solid information about food and the world we inhabit. Lessons from this book make us like quarry that escapes the prey (debilitating diseases and painful conditions) because we've learned to run (eat the healthy foods and avoid the truly unhealthy foods).

The brilliance of this book is in its approach. Ong uses his background in martial arts and philosophy to direct us to change in positive ways. He teaches us to see pain in junk food, for example, using these techniques. Imagine seeing pain in unhealthy foods. That's something this book did for or even to me through its descriptions of how junk food affects the body and ends up causing physical and psychological pain. Ong decodes messages of food industry advertisements in a way that greatly reduces their power to influence the mind, what he calls junky food voices. Two inner voices are revealed, the healthy food voice and the junky food voice. These inner voices are always in conflict as they compete to influence our choices and behavior. Once we understand these voices, we can begin to deal with them in a calm and far-sighted manner.

Mind Your Own Wellness is organized in a way that makes it a page-turner yet touches all the bases in the quest to live a better life with a focus on the effects of all types of foods on the human condition. Many thought processes in this book, which seem packaged to get into long-term memory with the least resistance, are life-changing even in isolation. Instructions on how to drink water include temperature, timing, quantity, association with other variables, and type were profound. Protein sources and their affect on calcium contradicted my cherished beliefs. Breathing fundamentals increased my awareness of my current stress levels. Organic apple cider vinegar was a big surprise. The section on labels got me immediately looking at labels of food items in the house and made me understand that food labeling, while extraordinarily valuable, is a political construct. "No trans fat per serving" means there may be trans fat if you have more than one serving, for example. The financial gearing within simple food choices took me well beyond the reasoning that I had worked out on my own. I am certain any individual will find subjects covered that even in isolation would make reading this book worthwhile.

Not wanting to sound gushing in my endorsement of this book, I've actually held back. I've ordered this book for family members as gifts and will keep mine to review chapters from time to time. I highly recommend Mind Your Own Wellness.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Path to Long Lasting Results, February 6, 2010
This is not a book for quick fixes and rapid weight loss, that invariably leads to the yo-yo syndrome, causing harm to your health and your self-esteem. It's a book that leads to lasting results and a healthier "You." The person you were meant to feel and look like. Author Alex Ong spent 20 years as a "fatty," so he has been there, and done that. Ong knows all the pitfalls of listening to your "Inner Junky Voice," and also knows the way out of that pleasure/pain cycle, and how the gradual strengthening of your "Inner Healthy Voice" can bring about vibrant health and a slender body.

Page 99 has an easy to use BMI chart (no more adding and multiplying with a calculator) to find out exactly where you are in the battle of the bulge (I have found the BMI index very helpful in determining my goals). The section on breathing is excellent (Chapter 12) and something we so often forget how to do correctly...something as simple as breathing! If you choose to, there is also a 1 day a week "break" from your healthy way of eating, where you can observe how you feel, when eating according to your past habits. How you tolerate that "over full" feeling, if you are tired the following day, etc. I especially like Ong's asking us to observe our plates after we have eaten, after baked/steamed food, or deep fried and cheesy stuff. Ong has an eye-opening way to really prove the difference of the substances left on the plates on pg. 93.

There are 5 levels, or a "Color Belt" formula, which ranges from White Belt (10% healthy food, 90% junky food) to Black Belt (80% healthy, 20% junky). Menus and suggestions are given for every level, and what makes them easy to apply is that there is nothing drastic, nothing that is unrealistic to follow no matter what your lifestyle or work schedule. The key is moderation. There are no "food police" in "Mind Your Own Wellness," and the key word Ong uses often is "Minimize." Minimize the junk food gradually and you will see those lasting results. You will feel better, look better (and stop having a "Fat Closet" and a "Thin Closet," not to mention those hours we ladies spend trying on everything we own to find something we "don't look so fat in").

Ong is a great motivational writer, and has a charming and unique way of expressing himself, with an enthusiasm that is contagious, and he is an expert in how to lose weight naturally. Though I no longer need to lose weight, I'm still learning about health and diet issues; I learned a lot from "Mind Your Own Wellness," and think you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Nonsense Approach to Addressing a Worldwide Problem: Obesity etc, February 5, 2010
Alex Ong has published what feels like a personal letter to those of us who care about our health - but MIND YOUR OWN WELLNESS is instead a book that will gather a flock of readers who want a simple manner to address and change not only the burgeoning obesity tendency but also the seemingly simple steps to taking control of our minds and bodies in general. His writing style is natural, homespun, and free of preaching, yet in this little book he offers more information for the layman about the truth of organic foods, the importance of watching labels of the things we put into our systems in haste to keep up a pace of living that is in itself a deleterious, and makes common sense out of 'dieting'. Ong is not a Nutritionist selling a product line or a doctor looking to increase a following. He is instead an 'ex-fatty' who got serious about his weight and his mental activity and it is this journey he shares. His various color Color Belts for gradually altering eating habits are sound and easy to follow. This is a simple, lighthearted book that could very well help those who border on being overweight fight that battle successfully.

Reading MIND YOUR OWN WELLNESS makes the reader want to sit down and learn more from this practical health guru. Highly recommended reading for all age groups - including chubby youngsters! Grady Harp, February 10

5.0 out of 5 stars A timely book that links natural wellness with weight loss, better health, and more, April 13, 2010
In the past few months, as a weight loss coach, I have ramped up my reading on natural living and its effect on weight loss, better health, energy, etc. I have made more lasting changes for myself but I've been floored with what is out there that even I didn't know--and I say that because I study things like this often and have for years.

That sounds so hokey but there is SO much science to back it up lately.

There are very deep nuggets of fact here that create a lifestyle change rather than a "quick fix" which the author is solidly against. (90% of Americans who go on a diet gain their weight back shortly thereafter. I try to focus on teaching permanent lifestyle changes that are easy to do and hit that "Aha!" moment of clarity for those who I help to lose weight. That's the style here.)

But let's face it, in spite of motivation, it's often hard to find a book that is hard to put down when it comes to either diet or weight loss.(Yawn.) It can be a boring subject...and I am a raving fan of those I do find that are clear, easy-to-read, honest, and hard-to-put-down. You can truly find yourself devouring a good book on the subject that makes those lightbulbs go off in your head with knowledge. I will count this one as one of the ones I love. The wisdom inside is similar to one of my favorite other books that help switch a person to a natural diet through solid facts which was "The Abs Diet" (but that one can also lead to eating too much of a good thing.) Mind Your Own Wellness took the things I liked from there, mixed them with another book I love called called "Naturally Thin" and put it into a true lifestyle change in a simple-to-read style that should work for anyone wanting the motivation to fight bad habits. It reaaaallllly focuses hard on that. And bad habits are what lead to weight gain afterall.

I also am not fond of books that tell you to only eat certain things all the time. Not livable. Deprivation leads to guilt and binging. That's not part of this plan. He believes in breaks and moderation. Agreed.

My favorite parts, aside from the items that allow a person to "reprogram" the thinking that leads to poor or over eating, is the easy-to-read breakdown of common ingredients and what they have been shown to cause. It's no hidden fact in the science community, afterall, that when additives were introduced in the US our obesity rate that year went through the roof and has stayed there since while the countries that avoid them don't have those problems...and that if they do move to the US, when they change their diet, they begin the obesity fight too. That fascinates me.
But I digress...

Skinny as a rail? No prob (lucky you!) this also breaks down known causes of things like hyperactivity that are eliminated or decreased when certain additives are no longer part of the diet. Migrains? Ditto.

So let me get to my own story of what made me a believer years ago when I used to be eating on the run and all processed food. When I was 21 I was put on 3 high blood pressure pills. My doctor said he'd never seen someone who was as fit as I was with such high blood pressure in his entire career so he ran scores of tests and could find no cause. I remained on these for 15 years. (Fighting the problem as we do in America, rather than determining the real cause--though I had a GREAT doctor.) Then I dipped into some classes in my culinary career that focused on non-processed foods. I also began, at that time, my studies in weight loss. Shazam! My doctor was shocked that suddenly, and ever since then, I had normal blood pressure, got skinny after a bout of weight gain, and had zero issues. I even stopped getting so much as a cold.

Was I perfect? Nope. I was doing better though. I was still drinking things like Diet Coke in the morning...it was a process. In all honesty, I am just NOW getting really into dealving more into the links of obesity, ill health, etc via what we take in and I am learning more every day.

While I've read some books on the subject that took months to read, this one is organized with bullet points, short paragraphs, and other ways that would make even the non-reader take in all of the information easily, enjoyably, painlessly, quickly, and make it "stick".

There is even a bit of humor spliced inside to make it all go down easily. Funny how humor helps us retain things, but it does.

This, in a nutshell, is how to retrain yourself from all the bad you've learned from past habits and how to fight what the author calls your "inner junky voice" which often is more in control of our eating than we are for some reason. That devil on our shoulder that causes us to eat after an advertisement, binge at a celebration, during extreme happiness or sadness...we have no battle plan to attack that voice. This gives you the mantra of being able to know why that's happening but, more importantly, how to fight it.

Love that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change your eating habits, change your life ... the choice is yours!, March 3, 2010
After a while being overweight or seriously obese can become old hat, to say nothing of embarrassing. Medical issues can begin to plague the individual and the appeal of junk food can lessen. Diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure are a few of the many issues that begin to crop up in middle age and will remain unless serious effort to lose that extra baggage is undertaken. Alex Ong often nourished his "Inner Junky Voice" and, as he claims, "20 years of staying obese was more than enough for me---the experience was extremely painful." and, if I might add, extremely unhealthy. (p. 102) Alex began to search for an answer and found it in an eclectic blend of Chinese and American dietary practices and medicine. Perhaps it was a "whatever works" approach, but eventually he ended up with sound dietary advice that many can benefit from if they are determined to shed some pounds and their defeatist attitudes. "Mind Your Own Wellness" is "about changing habits," and changing lives ... but the choice is up to you.

Discipline is the main ingredient and key to success, but combining it with nutritional knowledge, altering the way one eats and what one east can prevent cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity. Obesity is obviously the "something" that can be the cause of all the others. The sudden loss of his father, Ong Choon Lee, was Alex's wake up call. What will be yours? Alex hopes that this book might just be yours, saving your family the heartache that his needlessly felt. Many things discussed in this book we already know or intuitively understand, but sometimes it takes a book like this in hand that makes the individual decide to take "the plunge," Running any dietary changes by your own physician first is highly encouraged. In this book you will learn, among many things:

* Shocking statistics that show just how unhealthy the American public has become
* How our young people are at risk
* How we can focus on a plant based diet and avoid cancer
* The side effects of milk and dairy products and how to obtain calcium from other plant-based foods
* Which foods are high in saturated fats and cholesterol and their negative effects on our bodies
* Which foods contain trans fats: how to identify and avoid them
* What is MSH, its harmful effects, how to recognize and avoid it or reduce your intake of it
* The effects of sugar on our bodies, its side effects and how to minimize our use of it
* The advantages of eating fresh fruits and vegetables
* How to balance our salt intake and recommended intake levels
* The common side effects of caffeine and how to avoid becoming a slave to it
* What nitrates, BHT, BHA, artificial color, Aspartame, sulfates and pesticides are, what they are hidden in and suggestions on how to eliminate or minimize your intake of them
* The benefits of going "organic" despite the higher cost
* Thirty-three helpful tips on how to help you effect and maintain positive dietary changes
* What your BMI is (Body Mass Index) and how to prepare yourself to change
* What the benefits of physical exercise and sleep are
* How to use the power of thought (Inner Healthy Voice vs. the Inner Junky Voice)
* How to actually embark on five a five week journey to success with simple suggested menus (White Belt to the Black Belt)

This is lifestyle change book thats success is solely dependent on the commitment of the reader to utilize its advise and principles. Alex Ong appears to have drawn his material from many sources, primarily that of "The China Study" by Colin Campbell, a large nutritional study undertaken in China. Much of the information in this book I saw many years ago when my own nutritionist tailored something similar to my own personal medical needs, something I strongly recommend to anyone whether they purchase this book or another one. I very much liked the food choice lists and things like the side effects of certain food additives. As Alex mentioned earlier on in the book, No one can change your eating habits unless you choose to do so," (p. 39). This guide is a help, but only if you will use it. I feel the author is very sincere in his effort to help others, something I seldom sense I books of this nature. Once again, this is a lifestyle change book and the choice is yours and yours alone ...

This book courtesy of the author in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wellness Explained, February 8, 2010
Mind Your Wellness by Alex Ong
OCL Publishers 2008, 2009

Reviewed by: Dr. Joseph S. Maresca

The author begins by describing the poor health of Americans.
A full 105MM people have elevated cholesterol. In my
own experience, substituting yogurts, salads and water for
junk food , soda and candy will go a long way toward losing
the first 25 pounds of excess weight. After that, exercise,
8 hours of nightly sleep, no eating after 8PM and de-stressing
will help to lose the remainder.

A beauty of the work is that healthful foods are cited.
For instance, brocolli, kale, squash, celery, soybeans and dried
figs are good sources of calcium. Animal protein increases
saturated fat. Transfats are increased by consuming
deep fried foods, peanut butter, potato chips and frozen
foods. Sugar will turn to fat if not burned off right away.

Consumption of MSG excites nerve cells, causes abdominal
discomfort, angina and panic attacks in some patients.
MSG may be found in canned foods, sausage, flavored
potato chips and processed foods.

Natural fruits and veggies are sources of fiber,
super-nutrients, and immune system boosters. These
foods have marvelous anti-aging properties in
addition to the aforementioned benefits.

The author explains that reduced salt intake helps
to control blood pressure. This is true in my own
experience. In addition, reduction of caffeine
accomplishes a similar feat and benefits the
gastro-intestinal tract. As we grow older,
diverticular pockets grow larger and more prone
to inflammation from foods like coffee,
heavy creams and spicy sauces. In short,
unhealthful foods = pain.

The book criticizes aspartame in sugar-free candy,
diet soda and other foods. I've found that
water is the best soft drink to consume- particularly
water with a higher pH value. Consumption of
ice may cause injuries to languish longer than normal.

Organic apple cider has many beneficial effects. i.e.
removal of arterial plaque, body toxins, fat
accumulation, viruses and bacteria. In addition,
organic apple cider can help to normalize pH levels
in the urine and relieve sore throats. I experienced
positive effects from consumption of organic apple
cider.

A section of the book encourages readers to
breathe deeply and exercise. The USA needs
to reintroduce gymnastics in grammar school,
high school, college and the workplace.

We need at least 8 hours of sleep each night.
In addition, eating beyond 8PM can be
detrimental because our digestive system
needs to slow down. Night binges interfere
with the bodily digestive system getting
a badly needed respite from periodic eating
over the previous 12 hours or more.

The book has many good references.
I would add to these the New England Journal
of Medicine and The Lancet at [...]

Overall, the acquisition would be an excellent
supplement to any personal library. I would like
the manufacturers of candy, soda and cake to
add less sugar to their products and search
for natural or herbal substitutes for white sugar.

The Paleolithic diet of lean meat, fruits, veggies, fish,
seeds, nuts and water provided the human
species with a superior nutritive regimen
over the steady diet of junk food in modern
society.

Dr. Joseph S. Maresca

5.0 out of 5 stars Obese for 20 yrs -Ong managed to change things around, naturally, with help of some formulas he developed and shares., April 8, 2010
Alex Ong is not a medical doctor . . . in addition, he had
been obese for 20 years of his life . . . but he managed
to change things around, naturally, with the help of
some formulas he developed and shared in his
informative book MIND YOUR OWN WELLNESS.

Much of what he writes about you may have heard
elsewhere, but the author breaks down the information
so that it really hits home . . . he also provides many
useful suggestions, such as this one for dealing with
cravings:

* If your craving is so bad that you can't resist junk food after dinner,
do this:

1. Drink two full glasses of water.
2. Eat one portion of fresh fruit (apple, banana, grapes, or orange)
3. Then eat your junk food

Typically, after you finish your two portions of water and one portion
of fresh fruit, your craving for junk food will be reduced, because your
stomach is now filled with the really good stuff instead of junk food. Even
if you still crave for junk food, the portion of junk that you will eat will be
limited because you are already full!

I also liked how Ong urged you to take a look at your plate
after you finish your meal:

* Notice that when you order a healthier meal such as baked fish,
steamed vegetables, and the like, washing dishes is easier to do! But when
you order deep fried or cheesy food, after you finish your meal, the leftover
residue is often very sticky, greasy, and harder to clean. In addition, try
putting a few pieces of ice from your soda on your greasy plate and see
what happens. The leftover grease or oil will harden and turn into saturated
fat almost instantly.

Can you imagine the same thing happening inside your stomach?

If it is going to take a longer time for you to wash off that grease from your
plate, that same grease will stay in your stomach longer and it will require
great efforts for your stomach to digest!

Perhaps most importantly, Ong points out why better eating is
so important . . . not only will it improve your health, give you more
energy, boost confidence and reduce pain, but it will also have an impact
on others:

* If you are overweight or have poor eating habits, it will be hard for your
kids not to follow your poor eating habits. "Children don't do as you say,
they do as you do." Eat light and healthy, and your children will enjoy
the positive effects of your role modeling. And their children will follow
in their footsteps. You will leave a lasting legacy!

MIND YOUR OWN WELLNESS so impressed me that I'm now going
to share it with some friends who need to do the same . . . besides,
it's better than me having to nag them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed for Midwest Book Review, March 4, 2010
Author Alex Ong incorporates the disciplines he learned in martial arts into his guide to naturally losing weight, improving health, having more energy, boosting confidence and reducing pain. He begins by relaying the dismaying statistics about America's poor health, moving on to the worst foods and drinks Americans consume and how they negatively affect our bodies, physically and mentally. He stresses the difference between organic and processed foods and the damage processed foods can cause. He provides a Letter of Commitment for readers to sign and read twice a day. He discusses the power of positive thought; mental, physical and financial burdens of eating unhealthy; the role stress plays in our lives and ways to combat it; the importance of getting enough sleep and drinking enough water; and provides simple breathing and physical exercises to do. His color belt strategies (white, green, purple, red, and black) are simple and easy to follow as the reader progresses from eating mostly junk food to eating light and healthy.

The program Ong has devised is by far the best this reviewer has read simply because it's basic, pragmatic, and very easy to follow. No superfluous data or advice is given, providing a guide book packed with essential information readers can use as they go about their daily lives. This is one book that should be in every home.

4.0 out of 5 stars The only method that really works, February 16, 2010
There are millions of dollars spent each year on weight loss and fitness programs. Most of this money is wasted. There is also millions of dollars spent on remedial health care that could be saved if we lived a healthier life style.

Mind Your Own Wellness approaches the problem from the only way that really works. Change your mindset about food, what you put into your body and how you treat your body. The average person will never have the willpower to follow a strict calorie counting diet. The very idea of diet means that we have to give up something - and that approach rarely works. We do not like having to do something.

Alex Ong takes a totally different approach. He is quick to point out that you do not have to do anything. It is up to you if you wish to have great health, save money by fitting into your clothes and enjoy more energy. If you truly want to take control of your life, your weight and have more energy, then Alex gives you a step by step method for doing just that.

But the most important step is the first step. You must change how you think about food and eating. You need to approach this with an open mind. You will be advised that you need to give up certain things - things that are not good for you. Alex tells us there are 14 things we need to avoid. Some of these items we all know are not good for us - like MSG. But he also tells us we should limit our intake of milk. With each item he explains the reasons we should avoid these items.

He does not say that we must give up some items totally. Only that we should limit certain items to no more than 20% of our diet.

The book is easy to read and makes a lot of sense. His approach is straightforward. And he speaks with the voice of experience. This is the same approach he used to lose weight, transform his life and health.

If you are truly ready to take control of your weight, health and life, then this would be a great place to start. If you change the way you think about food, changing your eating habits will be much easier. If you simply try to follow a strict diet without changing the way you think about food, your results will be limited.

This is a good common sense guide to better eating, health and life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember Mom's advice, March 12, 2010
There are many weight loss books available to us today. This one with its "Belt" plan is one of the easiest I have seen.

After reading the whole book, I would say the last 10 pages are the most important. The first 160+ pages are to get you motivated. If you have already decided you need/must lose weight and want easy to follow menus, then the last pages are just for you.

No calorie counting, no carb counting, or no cabbage soup, just a simple fact that most of us already know --- DRINK WATER and eat your vegetables. Get those 8 glasses your mom always said you should have. Between being full from the water and the flushing effect of putting all that water in your body (you will have to "get rid of it"), you will begin to feel better. Eating fruits and vegetables will give you lots of choices so you won't have to worry about being bored with what you are putting in your mouth.

Now comes the hard part --- doing it. Copy and post the menus on your refrigerator, take it to your bathroom mirror or better yet, get a buddy and work together. Whatever you do --- just do it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mind Your Own Wellness: Turning Thoughts Into Reality
Mind Your Own Wellness: Turning Thoughts Into Reality by Alex Ong (Paperback - January 20, 2010)
$14.95 $13.18