Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on September 2, 2012
Qwirkle is a wonderful game that works with mixed groups of many ages and helps develop critical thinking skills and strategy. The visual and spatial aspect is also wonderful. The reason I am writing this review, however, is to point out that it is a perfectly miniaturized copy of the original. I am often disappointed when a travel game leaves out so much that the game play suffers. These tiles are just smaller versions of the original, which I have no problem with. The whole thing is packaged very nicely in a zip case. It's very small and portable, and the small tile size means that it does not need a whole lot of table space.
11 comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2013
My girlfriend hates games. Like, HATES games. Getting her to sit down and play a game is like trying to wrestle an alligator. She just doesn't want to sit and think quietly for long periods of time. She'd rather be up and moving around and talking. All good things, for sure, but sometimes I just want to play a game.

Enter Quirkle.

The game takes only 45 minutes or so to play, and is not so involved that you can't talk during the game. We have played with friends, with parents, with children, while waiting for food in the oven, at the beach, while watching TV, you name it. The game is fun, challenging, and can be done as a primary activity or on the side to accompany something else. It's fun, colorful, and makes you think.

The bag it comes in has some loose threads inside, and I think it is of middling quality, but you could always use a homemade bag or plastic bag if it breaks. At least it's much more versatile than regular Quirkle. Honestly, I don't see a reason to buy the full version of the game. The travel version is so portable, and the tiles are about the size of Scrabble tiles, so you're not really sacrificing size for portability like you do with some other games in which you have pinch your fingers together to manipulate tiny pieces. Quirkle is a ton of fun and the travel version slips right into a backpack and takes up no space at all.
on November 18, 2013
Fun game that doesn't take long to learn. In low light, it's hard to distinguish the blue from the green and the red from the orange, so we magic-markered a dot in the center of the green and the orange.
on June 6, 2015
I played this game and had to go out and buy my own. It's really difficult, but it can be modified. I definitely suggest the travel size no matter what, because the bigger game takes up way too much space to play. Very entertaining and challenging game. I think this is for kids at least 9 or 10 because of the difficulty.
review image
on August 15, 2014
I have an original Qwirkle game and we just love playing it. I got this as a gift, deciding a travel version would be much easier to store (and haul around). One of the other reviews said the tiles were a "little smaller". That is an understatement. The original tiles are 1-1/4" square and 5/16" thick. The travel version tiles are 3/4" square and just hair over 3/16" thick - substantially smaller. They appear to be 1/4 the size of the original (until you lay one on the four smaller ones).

The bonus is that you don't need as much real estate to play this version!

That being said, it should still be lots of fun and the designs are clear and sharp. However, the price of $20.00 for this tiny set seems a bit high.
on July 21, 2012
What a wonderful game for grownups and children. Matching logic strategy. What a wonderful time my friends and I have playing this game. I really highly recommend it. Am starting to play with my 6 year old grandson (and his 4 year sister in a different way). Promotes logic and thinking ahead.
on March 6, 2014
I first watched this game played on "Table Top" which is a show on the Geek & Sundry YouTube channel. Wil Wheaton hosts this table top game show and plays along with celebrity guests. It looked like a lot of fun, so I ordered it as a Christmas gift for my husband. I bought the travel version because we were going on a trip to visit family.

There is actually no "board" to this game. You only need a flat surface to play the tiles. There are 108 small wooden tiles that contain six different shapes that are in six different colors. You can play the same color with different shapes or a single shape of different colors. The tiles in the travel version aren't much bigger than an adult's thumbnail. If you have trouble seeing small shapes, you might want to opt for the regular version of this game.

Once we learned the simple rules, which are clearly spelled out on a small pamphlet, we played this game for hours. The game is meant for 2-4 players, so some of the kids teamed up. The rule book gave great examples of the different strategies you can use to boost your points. The point leader changed often, and the games were always exciting.
on October 19, 2015
This game is amazing. It has incredible replay value, can be played by children and adults alike (even in the same game), allows for strategy while also leaving the outcome slightly up to luck, and is just plain fun! Our playing style has already started to evolve. We definitely like the travel edition; the pieces are Scrabble sized (consider repurposing a Scrabble board to keep your Qwirkle game neat!) and a convenient pouch is included. I think the only advantage of the regular sized one would be for those with impaired mobility in their hands or vision problems, as the larger pieces would be easier to see and handle.

Qwirkle is sort of like Scrabble with shapes/colors instead of words. You lay down tiles that go together to earn points (1 point per tile). Tiles go together in two ways: either because they match shape or color, and you can't duplicate a shape/color combo in a row (eg: not allowed to play two orange squares in the same adjoining row or column). If you can complete a line of all one color (in each of the 6 shapes) or all one shape (in each of the six colors) you get a Qwirkle, which is worth 12 instead of just 6! You play until all the tiles are gone, and the first person to use all of their tiles gets a bonus 6 points. The person with the highest score wins!
on March 25, 2015
I love the game, but the travel version of the game is not well made. the finish scratches far too easily and they become unreadable. I have purchased two sets, and both were of the same poor quality finish. If I were to buy another set, I'd put a clear coat of lacquer on them before using them. How easy it would be for the manufacturer to do that, and avoid negative feedback? Short sighted short cuts in manufacture for a timeless gem of a game.
on August 8, 2012
Our favorite game. Can be played with equal fun by all ages. Great for developing math and critical thinking skills. Nice
to see it in a travel version