Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

on September 2, 2012
Qwirkle is a wonderful game that works with mixed groups of many ages and helps develop critical thinking skills and strategy. The visual and spatial aspect is also wonderful. The reason I am writing this review, however, is to point out that it is a perfectly miniaturized copy of the original. I am often disappointed when a travel game leaves out so much that the game play suffers. These tiles are just smaller versions of the original, which I have no problem with. The whole thing is packaged very nicely in a zip case. It's very small and portable, and the small tile size means that it does not need a whole lot of table space.
11 comment89 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2013
My girlfriend hates games. Like, HATES games. Getting her to sit down and play a game is like trying to wrestle an alligator. She just doesn't want to sit and think quietly for long periods of time. She'd rather be up and moving around and talking. All good things, for sure, but sometimes I just want to play a game.

Enter Quirkle.

The game takes only 45 minutes or so to play, and is not so involved that you can't talk during the game. We have played with friends, with parents, with children, while waiting for food in the oven, at the beach, while watching TV, you name it. The game is fun, challenging, and can be done as a primary activity or on the side to accompany something else. It's fun, colorful, and makes you think.

The bag it comes in has some loose threads inside, and I think it is of middling quality, but you could always use a homemade bag or plastic bag if it breaks. At least it's much more versatile than regular Quirkle. Honestly, I don't see a reason to buy the full version of the game. The travel version is so portable, and the tiles are about the size of Scrabble tiles, so you're not really sacrificing size for portability like you do with some other games in which you have pinch your fingers together to manipulate tiny pieces. Quirkle is a ton of fun and the travel version slips right into a backpack and takes up no space at all.
0Comment51 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2013
Fun game that doesn't take long to learn. In low light, it's hard to distinguish the blue from the green and the red from the orange, so we magic-markered a dot in the center of the green and the orange.
on August 15, 2014
I have an original Qwirkle game and we just love playing it. I got this as a gift, deciding a travel version would be much easier to store (and haul around). One of the other reviews said the tiles were a "little smaller". That is an understatement. The original tiles are 1-1/4" square and 5/16" thick. The travel version tiles are 3/4" square and just hair over 3/16" thick - substantially smaller. They appear to be 1/4 the size of the original (until you lay one on the four smaller ones).

The bonus is that you don't need as much real estate to play this version!

That being said, it should still be lots of fun and the designs are clear and sharp. However, the price of $20.00 for this tiny set seems a bit high.
11 comment15 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2015
I played this game and had to go out and buy my own. It's really difficult, but it can be modified. I definitely suggest the travel size no matter what, because the bigger game takes up way too much space to play. Very entertaining and challenging game. I think this is for kids at least 9 or 10 because of the difficulty.
review image
on July 21, 2012
What a wonderful game for grownups and children. Matching logic strategy. What a wonderful time my friends and I have playing this game. I really highly recommend it. Am starting to play with my 6 year old grandson (and his 4 year sister in a different way). Promotes logic and thinking ahead.
on March 6, 2014
I first watched this game played on "Table Top" which is a show on the Geek & Sundry YouTube channel. Wil Wheaton hosts this table top game show and plays along with celebrity guests. It looked like a lot of fun, so I ordered it as a Christmas gift for my husband. I bought the travel version because we were going on a trip to visit family.

There is actually no "board" to this game. You only need a flat surface to play the tiles. There are 108 small wooden tiles that contain six different shapes that are in six different colors. You can play the same color with different shapes or a single shape of different colors. The tiles in the travel version aren't much bigger than an adult's thumbnail. If you have trouble seeing small shapes, you might want to opt for the regular version of this game.

Once we learned the simple rules, which are clearly spelled out on a small pamphlet, we played this game for hours. The game is meant for 2-4 players, so some of the kids teamed up. The rule book gave great examples of the different strategies you can use to boost your points. The point leader changed often, and the games were always exciting.
on August 8, 2012
Our favorite game. Can be played with equal fun by all ages. Great for developing math and critical thinking skills. Nice
to see it in a travel version
on August 25, 2013
tiles are quite small but would be great for airline tables...
probably OK for a limit of 2 players. Too small for more.
Great case!
on October 11, 2014
I purchased this travel game to play with my parents when we are together. The pieces are much smaller than they appear in the advertisement. Not meant for older adults who may struggle with arthritic hands.