5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I hoped it would be - and more!
I expected an explanation of how to bring Buddhist meditation practice into my knitting. That is there, and wonderfully explained. I'm already enjoying morning quiet time, with my knitting and just with breathing. As a newcomer to meditation, I am pleased with how easy it is to follow the instructions and how supportive the author is.
I didn't expect to love the...
Published on June 28, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars I prefer "Knitting Sutra" to this
I was mislead by the glowing reviews. I found this book lightweight and disappointing. I was hoping for something deeper and more personal. I highly recommend the 2 books by Susan G. Lydon instead.
Published on October 10, 2006 by Michelle in Maryland

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I hoped it would be - and more!, June 28, 2004
By A Customer
I didn't expect to love the projects so much! The book includes 10 projects that go from an extremely basic garter stitch scarf (perfect for the beginning knitter) through washcloths, a blanket and 2 hats for charity knitting, a simple cardigan (great first sweater for the new knitter), an aromatherapy tea cozy, a small evening purse, a lace scarf, a cabled jacket, and a baby layette. I ordered the book for the meditation instruction, not knitting instruction (I'm an intermediate knitter) and projects, but her instructions are wonderful - very clear and supportive, like the meditation instruction. And the projects! I often buy a book for the ONE thing I "must knit", but this book has 5 things I know I'll be making, starting with the little purse and the cabled jacket (and I'll probably do the organic baby layette at some point too).
This book was exactly what I was looking for, but it isn't for everyone. The focus is bringing meditation techniques to knitting, to make it a meditative practice for the knitter. If that idea appeals to you, you'll doubtless enjoy the book. If it doesn't, it's still a good project book for the beginning knitter, with projects that may or may not appeal to more advanced knitters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting as Meditation, November 27, 2004
This book is exactly what it purports to be...a wonderful mix of knitting and mindfulness meditation. I love it! Knitting is a craft handed down to me by my grandmothers. Mindfulness is somewhat newer, I needed help getting there. This book was perfect for me. Now knitting is more meaningful and feels great all the way through, not just at the end when I complete the project. Whether you are a new knitter or have been doing it for years, this book will help you get much more out of the click clack of the needles and the feel of the yarn...get it. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prayer Shawl Ministry, December 29, 2007
This is a fabulous resource for anyone starting a prayer shawl ministry or any other charitable crafting group. It contains a great deal of information to get you started and help to understand the process and why we are drawn to the craft itself. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, August 26, 2007
Of all the knitting books I've purchased, this has only one error and it doesn't relate to a pattern. Perhaps zen has something to do with it. VERY GOOD!

3.0 out of 5 stars I prefer "Knitting Sutra" to this, October 10, 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, July 28, 2013
Not deep, or extensive, but this book served as a good reminder and some tips to slow down and be in the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Book, June 1, 2013
This review is from: Mindful Knitting: Inviting Contemplative Practice to the Craft (Paperback)
The book is interesting. The patterns are easy and useful. Instructions are given to help the novice knitter. I like the connection between knitting and being mindful.

5.0 out of 5 stars More about philosophy than knittins, May 23, 2013
This book has a few useful knitting instructions and patterns but mostly about how to meditate & knit at the same time. As for me I watch TV while I knit. Just sayin

4.0 out of 5 stars Mindful Knitting: Inviting Comtemplative Practice to the Craft, April 30, 2013
The book seller sent this book in excellent condition and in a timely fashion.
I enjoy this book for it's different prospective on knitting. Many knitters realize at some level that knitting has a calming effect, if done with concentration. This book validates that feeling and adds additional prospective to knitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, May 21, 2011
This is a very thoughtful knitting book and I have made 3 baby blankets with the organic undyed yarn that they suggest and the babies love them.

Mindful Knitting: Inviting Contemplative Practice to the Craft
Mindful Knitting: Inviting Contemplative Practice to the Craft by Tara Jon Manning (Paperback - July 15, 2004)
Used & New from: $1.59