Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mindful Movements: Ten Exercises for Well-Being
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 13, 2009
I love everything I have read by Thich Nhat Hanh. This is no exception! The book explains each movement and has easy to follow diagrams. The video is wonderful and goes through each movement with a Zen monk, brother Michael, and then with Thich Nhat Hanh. The movements are gentle and simple, yet definitely invoke the mind body connection and create a sense of calm and balance. My 78 year old mother in law has health problems and really needs to "move." She enjoyed this!
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2008
A deceptively simple and delightful book which gives 10 extremely useful exercises which can be done, either as given or modified for those who are less mobile. Meditation in movement. I recommend them for more elderly people who are having difficulties with balance, and therefore these particular exercises are crucial in helping to prevent falls.
on March 9, 2009
I love this book-DVD. I use it in my classroom. The children love doing these movements to get the day going. My students all have Autism, I find it helps many of them to relax. We followed the DVD for a few days, now we move together without it. We pick and choose which movements to do each day as all 10 would take a bit too much time. I highly recommend this for everyone.
on July 2, 2011
I sit a lot so I don't care to sit and meditate too. I was looking for a book on moving meditation and came across this book. It had some great reviews so decided to take a look. The explanations are simple and straightforward. Subjects covered are what is mindfulness, the "seven miracles of mindfulness", and breathing and moving mindfully. Thank goodness are no long winded, high minded explanations. Who has time in this busy age to plow through pages and pages about this and that? The short explanations are complete enough and I don't think anyone will be sorry doing these ten simple movements during a workday break or in the morning to refresh, calm, and energize the mind and body. A few of the movements may be difficult if you don't have good balance, but you can brace yourself with something sturdy that won't move. Wietske Vriezen illustrates the movements with her charming and cheerful drawings. There are few pages about Zen Buddhist master Thich Nhat Hanh, and one of his short poems. The DVD demonstrates the 10 movements. You can also see the movements in videos on YouTube. I appreciate the book has a sturdy hard cover and the pages are bound by an inner metal comb binding so the book and pages can lie flat.
44 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2008
The DVD portion of the product is GREAT!!! The Book is helpful and the illustrations very colorful, pleasant and mindful.
on May 18, 2009
The book is a pleasure to read, really fun inclusive illustrations and clear directions, and it's great having the DVD so you can also try following along. I do these with my mom and my daughter, it works great for all three generations. I gave a copy to my daughter's preschool teacher and they now start the day with these movements in her class. Highly highly recommended!
on July 31, 2011
As a mental health practioner I find Thich Nhat Hanh's work very useful and regularly recommend it to people. This book is no exception. In fact, I will probably recommend it more. It's rich illustrations add to the descriptions of the moves making it user friendly for both adults and children. Families wanting to teach their children how to slow down and live in the present should find this book helpful. And, in an educationally simple manner, the introduction introduces the reader to mindfulness in a manner that is not overwhelming. I remain a fan of this very peaceful man.
on February 20, 2012
I was disappointed to find that there is no equivalent of the DVD on the Kindle edition. You would think that there would be digital video included! Well, I couldn't find it and I am returning the Kindle version to purchase the complete version in hardcopy.

It would have been kind for Amazon to let us know this before making a purchase.
55 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
I was excited to get this book. It looked like a great way to incorporate mindful movements into the day so I purchased it on my Kindle Fire. I thought that I would be able to lend it to my parents so they can do the same, but this item does not have lending enabled. Why?
Also, I kept reading that there was some video portion. It is not available on the Kindle. I don't know if I would be able to view on the computer or if you had to get the hard copy of the book to get this, but that was also disappointing.
For the book and illustrations though, it is a nice little book. I think the illustrations themselves put you in a good mood and to know that you are doing something so small yet so nice is a great thing. Unique little book. I just think some work needs to be done on the kindle edition.
on July 21, 2012
To make a long story short, my son has been through a lot, he is 9. His dad died about a year ago from health issues. The book helped him meditate so he can see things and feel his surroundings. To help him relax and be happy with everything. This book has made a difference. I would recommend this book to anyone.