5.0 out of 5 stars A special collection about nothing special

Interesting, Somewhat useful.
Published 1 month ago by Dr. L. J. Benoit

5.0 out of 5 stars A special collection about nothing special, May 8, 2005
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
As a psychotherapist for 30 years and a mindfulness practitioner for nearly 10 years, I have read a lot of good books and articles on both subjects. "Mindfulness and Psychotherapy" is as clear and helpful in both disiplines as any I have encounted. The editors have done a 'mindful' job in selecting from an array of perspectives. Mindfulness is defined and contextualized for our western psychotherapeutic practice, while also placed in an historical and cultural framwork that informs and enlightens our understanding. Indeed the more philosophical essays are perhaps the strongest pieces in this marvelous compendium. We are reminded that the Buddah saw himself as a physician who sought to diagnose and find a cure for human suffering. Out of his own intimate encounter with suffering, he devised and revised a program that we in western psychological science are just now testing and finding curative-both for our clients and for ourselves.

There is much here to be considered by all schools of psychotherapy. Paul Fulton presents an intriguing chapter on Mindfulness as Clinical Training. There are concise chapters on teaching mindfulness skills to clients (even children)with varying disorders, including panic,anxiety, depression, and psychophysiological problems. There is a comprehensive while managable 'Resources for the Clinician" appendix.

Andrew Olendzki deserves special mention for his piece on "The Roots of Mindfulness." I had to stop highlighting as each page was yellowed with brightness.

If you are a psychotherapist, a meditator, or thinking of practicing either, you will do well to read this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wise, invaluable resource, March 10, 2006
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
This well-written, wise, accessible book will help novice and seasoned therapists incorporate mindfulness practice into their clinical work, skillfully and thoughtfully. The editors and contributors provide a range of expert perspectives on the role of mindfulness in psychotherapy and convey the complexity of good psychotherapy, mindfulness practice, and the union of the two. The clarity with which they accomplish this is remarkable. The depth of their personal and professional expertise and experience is evident throughout. Inclusion of a thorough review of current research in the area is another notable strength of the volume. I highly recommend this book to clinicians and researchers interested in the powerful role that mindfulness may play in psychological healing. It is essential reading for anyone interested in this highly promising area of study.
-- Lizabeth Roemer, Ph.D.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated and Deep, June 29, 2006
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
This is a good exposition of mindfulness theory and practice. Althought a novice therapist will find the text useful, most of the insight gained by reading this text will be achieved by therapists with 5 to 10 years actual practice under their belts. I would advise novice therapists to buy this book immediately and then delve into each chapter several times per month for the next few years. They will never regret it. The problem and promise on this book is that it requires you to go back and review each concept of your original training, whether it is Adlerian, Freudian, Cognitive or Christian. Mindfulness is the goldplating overlay that makes your therapy more valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A successful marriage between traditions, December 7, 2010
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
I discovered this fantastic book, quite by accident. I was perusing online psych education resources for a challenging, advanced level course, for contact hours. I was delighted to see a course offering with this book as the reference guide. Not only was this the best course I have taken in recent years, it was also one of the most challenging.

I have been a student of Buddhist philosophy, mindfulness practice, and yoga, for many years, but I have not carried it into my psychiatric workplace, which is dominated by a medical model. I was very interested in learning more about the potential clinical applications, but mostly, I wanted to advance my own mindfulness practice to assist in dealing with difficult patients; to stay completely in the moment during counseling, and assistive sessions. The emotionally fragile can perceive a moment of drift, or lack of genuine connection, which is often difficult to avoid. I also needed to learn when to step back, and take a little meditative break, in order to return refreshed, attentive, and truly empathetic to my patient's needs. I learned ALL this and more with this course. But, it will take continued practice throughout the remainder of my career.

In 'Mindfulness and Psychotherapy,' you will learn to distinguish mindfulness traditions from Western psychotherapy and how the blending of the traditions enhances therapeutic relationships. Various disorders are explored, with exercises for establishing interventions and goals. You will have a review of the historical roots of Western psychotherapy and might be surprised to find that, although only recently reaching growing popularity, mindfulness has always been an element of the developing history of psychotherapy, although it may have been explored in different manners.

You need NOT be a psychotherapist to benefit from the book, but Buddhist teachings, meditative practice and mindfulness will be a great advantage. Any clinical practitioner treats patients among their population with various psychiatric disorders, from the most serious, to generalized anxiety, stress, and most commonly chronic pain. We do a terrible disservice to our patients, when we don't address the entire person: the bio, psycho, social being. They are in fragments, needing to be pulled together as one, under stress. It is our role to take the time to be there for them, to help them accomplish this, even if they are just coming in for gallbladder surgery.

I highly recommend this book; mine is a dogeared, coffee stained keeper. I can see mindfulness traditions paving the way for new patient interventions with more positive outcomes. We have a void out there that needs to be filled, in meeting our patients' needs. This may just be it, but it takes a lot of dedication on the part of the practitioner to develop the necessary skills! This is potentially the biggest drawback, as many may just not be able to connect with this challenging, lifelong process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very user-friendly textbook, November 27, 2010
Susi "SusiCostello" (Phila suburbs, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
I got this book for a class I took last year. It is so helpful in "real-life" work situations particularly the chapters on depression, anxiety, and pain as it gives concrete ways to use mindfulness techniques to help clients with these issues. These techniques (imo) are so fantastic in therapy because they are not at all "cookie cutter" - they blend each person's current reality with their values in a way that leads to a healthier, more integrated life. I've had a mindfulness practice for a long time so most of the info in the earlier chapters was stuff I already knew. It was presented very well though - very easy to read and understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grounded and Informative, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
I bought this book several years ago when I first started my daily mindfulness practice and was wondering if I would, should, or could integrate it into my psychotherapy practice with clients. The book was very helpful in answering that question in the affirmative, and, depending on the case conceptualization and treatment plan I suggest a mindfulness component to clients. Some do, some don't - those that do, always benefit; although not necessarily in the predicted manner. The book is on my shelf and I refer to it a few times a year to brush up on some aspect. I have no need to acquire another one; so it's been quite satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
Very well written on a subject that is hard to clearly explain, particularly to someone who has not had mindfulness and training or meditation practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., February 9, 2012
Eliot18 (Charlottesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
This book is terrific. It is written with the same genuineness, compassion, attention to the subtle, and humility that the authors recommend for the therapy room. I very much like that the authors are in private practice as therapists and all have long, sincere meditation practices. This makes the writing feel full and rich and genuine and not like an academic exercise.

If you are interested in working in this way, I hope that you begin by developing your own mindfulness practice rather than trying to learn more techniques to use with your patients. As the authors make clear, working in this way must come from the therapist's own internal work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindfulness and Psychotherapy, August 22, 2011
This review is from: Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
An excellent book that puts mindfulness and psychology in a user friendly format. I would recommend it to any practitioner to read and be refreshed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable introduction, August 1, 2014
Interesting, Somewhat useful.

Mindfulness and Psychotherapy
Mindfulness and Psychotherapy by Ronald D. Siegel (Hardcover - March 9, 2005)
Used & New from: $4.99