5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource on the therapeutic relationship
Published on April 27, 2009 by MB

3.0 out of 5 stars Mindfulness for Two
I received the book in good time. I started to read the book and was disappointed to discover that it had no CD attached as mentioned in the book. The book refers a lot to the "attached CD" which was not attached to my book.

I would be grateful to find out why the CD was not attached.
Published 11 months ago by Bernadette

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource on the therapeutic relationship, April 27, 2009
MB (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mindfulness for Two: An Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Approach to Mindfulness in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
I received an advanced copy of Mindfulness for Two, and it was a pleasure to read. I think it addresses the process of the therapist more deeply than any ACT book before it, and perhaps better than any clinical book I've read. I was really moved by the first chapter, "Coming Face to Face with the Human Condition," which acknowledges the ubiquity of human suffering and encourages the reader to embrace it, rather than reject it, in the service of being more closely connected to our therapy clients. There I was choking up while reading it on the elliptical machine at the gym. Not my favorite place for tears!

More than anything it's gotten me to pay attention to two things: the moment to moment processes of my clients in session (the pitch, tone, and pace, as Wilson says) and my own moment to moment processes. I think I've always been very good at recognizing and making good use of what my psychodynamic training called "countertransference" (which for me is defined broadly as any of my reactions in therapy), but Wilson has added a great new set of tools and conceptualizations for being right there with it and listening to it without necessarily responding. I have found myself more free in sessions to notice my immediate urges to act or not act, my own fusion, my own values, etc. At the same time, I've been far more acutely aware of my clients' facial expressions, tone of voice, etc., and I've been able to bring that noticing right into my work in the present moment with people. More and more I'm stopping and saying, "What just went on there?" I'm also more grounded in what it means to be "under
aversive control" (a behavioral conception of when fear is running the show), not just intellectually, but also experientially. I can feel it in sessions as aversive control shows up, both for myself and for clients. Totally cool.

In session, I've begun to notice things like the conceptualized self (in particular) that have escaped me in the past doing ACT work. I think I'm much more aware of the fine details of fusion, avoidance, conceptualized self, etc., in the moment to moment.

It is a great resource. I would highly recommend it to any one interested in ACT or better understanding the therapeutic relationship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Appreciating the Human Being in the Suffering, June 27, 2009
This is a comment from the heart. We are all trained to be excellent problem solvers, and it is so easy to see our clients as problems to be solved. From that perspective, we get into all kinds of moves, like simple or complex. How do you like it when someone views you life as "simple" (e.g., your problem is like 2+2=4) -- is that really true? Is it more true that your life is complex and in that complexity you are more like your client -- not a problem to be solved or fixed, but something to behold -- a beautiful sunrise. What would that be like for you? For me, this book has fundamentally changed how I view and do psychotherapy. Thank you Kelly and Troy -- one humbled human being to another. United by the same soup. Many sunsets to admire. Thank you in appreciation. -john

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important publication in clinical psychology this year, September 21, 2009
Joseph Ciarrochi (Wollongong, Australia) - See all my reviews
I've read alot of ACT books, and even written one, and I can say that this is a must have book for anybody interested in ACT, and anybody interested in how modern behavioral psychology can be applied to complex human problems.

The strength of the book is its clear grounding in basic behavioral principles that have received substantial scientific support in controlled laboratory studies. The chapter entitled " A clinican's guide to stimulus control" is particularly accessible and useful. It is amazing that the most complex of human behavior--e.g., rumination, worry, dysfunctional thinking, valuing, being present---can be understood in terms of basic behavioral principles, and can be influenced by basic behavioral interventions.

The book is filled with useful worksheets and concrete advice on how to promote mindfulness and valued living. I thought the chapter on experiential case conceptualization was particularly well-written, and brings together everything in the book in a way that is both concise and highly usable.

The book focuses not only on "treating the client", but on what you the therapist bring to the table, and how your relationship with the client influences outcome. I think the book shows the way to have compassionate, mindful relationships with others. By this, I mean the book is fundementally about improving relationships and the human condition.

Dr. Wilson is an academic, but I also know him to be the world-class practitioner and trainer. His workshops are popular and influential. I think this book puts down in writing what is best about those workshops. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the heart and the mind, September 11, 2009
Louise Hayes (Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This is simply a wonderful book. One of the best resources for clinicians who want to apply mindfulness practices with their clients - or themselves. It is written in such an engaging and entertaining style that it's easy to forget the topic is psychotherapy. I have never read a book with behavioral terms like stimulus control that I wanted to linger over - but this book does just that. It makes one want to linger!! Scientific principles are alive here.

If you are looking for a book that can improve your clinical skills this is the one. Includes a DVD and scripted exercises that are so well written I have been able to transfer the skills to the clinic. We have started our own study group and this book was chosen by members as the best one to base our skill development lessons on. If you want to be a better therapist this book is for you.

It has touched on the humanity in me and encourages therapists to work from their heart and mind. I am truly grateful to Kelly and Troy.
Louise Hayes, Ph.D

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful resource for becoming a more effective therapist (4.5 stars), July 5, 2009
L. Shepherd (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading this book and really loved it. Thanks Kelly and Troy - I believe it is a valuable resource for any clinician. Having read a lot about ACT and also other books on mindfulness I was surprised how much I learnt that was invaluable. This is the first book that I have come across that really looks closely at the benefits of mindfulness for the therapist - and spells out some of the therapeutic pitfalls we potentially face so clearly. I'm sure i will continue to reflect on this book and that it will influence my ongoing development as a therapist enormously. Thanks again for taking the time to write this!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book sets a new standard in an essential emergent field in psychology, October 15, 2010
Dr. Wilson has accomplished something of historical importance with this book. That may sound hyperbolic, but it isn't. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy has emerged as a model of change processes in psychotherapy, a conception of human well-being, and as an evidence-based therapy in recent years. The roots of ACT are deep in the behavioral tradition, as well as in the ancient practice of cultivating mindful awareness. "Mindfulness For Two" is the first ACT textbook to fully explain and illustrate how mindfulness, acceptance, and other essential ACT processes can be brought to life in the consultation room by both therapist and client. This book is mandatory reading for all of the students and therapists I supervise, whether they are practicing ACT or other variations of CBT. The video examples and plain language, warm and engaged style brings ACT processes and mindful therapist micro-skills to life in a way rarely seen. The book is truly of historical importance and is destined to be a classic. Whether that sounds like hyperbole or not, if I were a betting man, I'd place my money on this book being around for a very long time as a central text in the ACT tradition.

Dennis Tirch PhD
Associate Director
American Institute for Cognitive Therapy
Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor
Weill Cornell Medical College
Fellow
Academy of Cognitive Therapy

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book for improving clinical skill, August 19, 2010
While Dr. Wilson is a behaviorist and an ACT clinician, this book will be helpful for therapists of any theoretical stripe. It is an ideal guide for observing oneself as a clinician, staying present with the client, and effectively responding to transference, clinically relevant behaviors - whatever you wish to label the inevitable interplay between therapist and client.

As always, Kelly Wilson brings his humanity to his work. He leads by example, always willing to use his own experience - warts and all - as the rich data source that it is. I'm sure we have all felt ineffective with clients who are having trouble moving forward. Kelly Wilson deals in typical direct fashion with thoughts such as "I don't have any idea what to do. I feel completely hopeless," and even our less charitable thoughts, such as "This person is boring," or "Will this hour never end?"

Above all, this is a book of practical skills for improving our presence in the room. Dr. Wilson knows what therapists go through and offers expert help with the subtler problems we can face in practice: defensiveness, self-doubt, imposing our agenda on the client, and so on. Just as important, the book is written in a way that helps the reader identify behaviors of which he or she may be unaware.

Just one warning about this book: it will only be useful if you are willing to take an honest look at yourself in the room with the client. As long as you are willing to do that, this book holds the potential to greatly increase your effectiveness as a clinician.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behaviorists sweet spots, August 10, 2010
M. Kleen (Groningen, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Intuitively, the concepts mindfulness and behavior analysis seem contradictionary. Kelly Wilson shows they're not. In fact, in Mf2 Wilson not only provides the reader with techniques any clinician can use immediately in the next session, he also provides an excellent introduction into behavior analysis and explains mindfulness and the therapeutic relation (with your client AND yourself as a therapist) in terms of a scientific well-known and empirically grounded theory, namely operant conditioning and RFT's extrapolarization to language and cognition.

But above all, Wilson has the ability to make it fun reading about such serious material. If you've ever attended to one of Wilson's experiential workshops, this book provides the theoretic basis and practical implications of what you've experienced. If you've never attended to his workshops, you will be wanting to go to one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartfelt guide to being with your clients, July 28, 2010
Kelly Wilson writes books that manages to read like he's talking to you. I read this book and it affected me emotionally many times. It isnt just a technical manual but more of a challenge to try some things in the room with your clients. Just try them and see what they feel like. I can tell you that they sometimes feel scary as you try them out. But cultivating a present awareness in session with clients opens up many new venues to do psychotherapy.

The first parts of the book is also a nice reminder of or introduction into the world of behaviour analysis.

I recommend this to anyone who is working with people in general and clinical psychologists and psychotherapists even more so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, August 1, 2010
clete deller (austin, texas United States) - See all my reviews
Essential reading for anyone interested in using mindfulness in your life. Although most useful for ACT therapists, should be on any therapist's shelf that is interested in connecting with their clients in a meaningful way (especially CBT folks). Empathy is the most important factor in a relationship (counseling too) and this book + the CD are invaluable. Cannot recommend this book enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›