Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 20, 2007
I'll begin with a summary which allows you, dear reader, to decide if you should read any more of this review:

The irony of Dweck's book is that if the reader understands and believes what she's saying, then after the first chapter that reader has no reason to keep reading.

And now, the long (Dweck) version. I was first made aware of this book and its ideas in a seminar on motivating students about a month and a half ago. As presented in the seminar, these seemed like great ideas: intelligence is not fixed, it is learnable, changeable, even teachable. Asking the right questions and making the right comments in the classroom can change the way students approach learning and thinking, and encourage them to grow and learn much more than one might expect. Fantastic. The approach seemed sensible, the logic intuitive, the results believable. I adapted some of the material for a class and sought out the book.

It seemed odd when I found the book on the library shelf not with psychological or pedagogical research, but near books of self-help and affirmation, such as Julia Cameron's `The Artists's Way.' Ah, I thought, it's just a categorization issue. Not something to worry about. But I should've worried, as I'll explain shortly.

Returning to Dweck, I found the ideas she presents - or rather, singular "idea," since there really isn't more than one - to be quite interesting, as I'd hoped. Unfortunately, the book itself isn't. As I said earlier, reading a single chapter gets the point across: intelligence is not fixed, it can be changed. It is only our "mindset" that holds us back. If we believe we can't learn, if we believe our abilities are restricted, then they will be. Our limitations are learned and set by ourselves. If we think we can improve ourselves, we will. If we insist that we're unable to achieve, we won't. (Dweck offers a few hasty caveats to prevent readers from believing they can will themselves to do absolutely anything, but always as afterthoughts.)

That's it. That's the core and kernel of the book, summarized in my few weak sentences. While it was only natural of Dweck to take more space than this, there are limits. Frankly, the main argument of the book could have been made convincingly in a twenty page pamphlet. With a thoughtful design and organization, perhaps a very readable, informative, and even inspirational, tome of 150 or so pages. But certainly not as the rambling, repetitive 288-page critter as this book now exists.

As I read the first three chapters of this book (and, in full disclosure, that is as far as I got, about one-third through), several things became clear to me. Besides the dearth of ideas - how far can one stretch this simple thought? - I began to understand why "Mindset" was categorized in the self-help section and not placed with more scholarly work. For one thing, there is little of scholarly weight here. Dweck frequently refers to studies and research, but most of this is not available to the interested reader. The endnotes are strangely non-standard, making it difficult to identify sources, let alone locate them. Much of the evidence cited appears to be unpublished and unvetted research by Dweck and her colleagues (or students). Several searches on Dweck and her co-researchers turned up nothing. The general bibliography, while something to go on, is also very thin. Dweck herself appears to have the credibility and scholarly bona fides one might expect from a PhD working at Columbia, but they are not in evidence here.

In addition, the format of the chapters was disappointing. It revealed why the book belongs in the self-help section. Each chapter consists of a mixture of assertions and affirmations from the author, impressive-sounding but undocumented research, and effusive testimonials - I can think of no other word to use - by students and others whose lives have been changed by Dweck's idea. As a motivational tract, it works. As a scholarly work, to be taken seriously, to offer up convincing and repeatable proof of its ideas, it falls short. It is reasonably well-written, it is entertaining (numbing repetition aside), it is provocative and confident. As a useful piece of research, it disappoints.

As I've stated more than once, the idea of this book is excellent. It is the execution of which I am critical. I look forward to a future volume by Dweck or her colleagues that presents more tangible proof and documentation, with less reliance on feel-good anecdotes and faith in the author's assertions.
109109 comments| 2,143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Unless you are a hermit, you can definitely benefit from this book. For those interested in improving their lives,their parenting skills, their leadership skills, their teaching skills and their relationship skills, this is a must read.

Napoleon Hill, in Think and Grow Rich, stressed the importance of a positive mental attitude. Normal Vincent Peale, in The Power of a Positive Mental Attitude, stressed the importance of a positive mental attitude.

Dweck picks up where both of these very famous works fell short. Both Hill and Peale understood the importance of a positive mental attitude. But Dweck shows us how we develop fixed mindset attitudes in many areas of our lives and the damage our attitude inflicts on us and on those we interact with. Instead of dwelling on positive or negative attitude, Dweck used the term fixed mindset and growth mindset.

The book is not just theory. Dweck explains how the fixed mindset was in part responsible for the downfall of Enron. She also contrast the fixed mindset of basketball coach Bobby Knight with that of the growth mindset of legendary coach John Wooden (UCLA). The contrast and the results are startling.

As far as parenting and teaching skills, there are some very valuable lessons. We should learn to praise work and not talent. No one ever failed by striving for constant learning. History is littered with failures who relied on their God given talent.

The book is a real eye-opener. The fixed mindset verses growth mindset is not an either or situation. We can possess a growth mindset in certain areas but a fixed mindset in other areas of our lives. If you are honest, you will do some "Ahha" when you discover some fixed mindsets traits about yourself.

If you are a teacher, you will be challenged to ask yourself are you doing the best job you can do. There are some very inspiring stories about teachers doing outstanding jobs with childern everyone else had written off.

Lastly, Dweck tells how we can develop a growth mindset and improve our lives and the lives of those around us.
88 comments| 515 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2007
The text as written certainly succeeds with many. In my case, I got the message after 3 or 4 repeats of the 'growth mindset can do it' theme. As story after story repeats the same theme, which is a good message, I began wondering when some background exploration would begin. It never happened.

I've read other works by Dweck. She plays the role of editor in the recent "Handbook of Competence and Motivation" (in this book the two mindsets are called 'fixed' and 'incremental'). It is very academic and technical, but a treasure trove of insights. I liked it so much I'm going through it again with a fine tooth comb. I'd check Mindsets out at a bookstore or library. If you find yourself wanting more, take a look at Dweck's other books.
11 comment| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2007
I learned of Dr. Dweck in a profile in Stanford Magazine, where she is a professor. Her research and resulting conclusions are fascinating and resonated deeply in our family. But the book is disappointing. As pointed out by C. Daley and J. Williams, the anecdotal material is extremely repetitive and not at all helpful. Notwithstanding its general reader focus, the ideas for how to move beyond a fixed mindset were limited. The Stanford Magazine article, which is excellent, is available online.
22 comments| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2007
Mindset makes the argument that people who believe they can improve themselves will be more likely to take chances and grow.

There. I've said it. Now you don't need to read the book.

The rest of the book consists of stories that illustrate the above idea. Many many stories. All with the same lesson. The book is really a pamphlet.

Also, I think the book is misleading. The latest research shows that we all have strengths and weaknesses and that we do best when we leverage these natural abilities. I think Mindset misses this point and, in fact, suggests the opposite.

Now, Discover Your Strengths is a much better book for those seeking personal growth.
33 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2007
The review by C. Daly sums it up pretty well. The idea for the book is great, that people have the ability to move from a "fixed" mindset to a "growth" oriented one. It's filled with examples of the differences between the two and why a growth mindset will ultimately bring you more satisfaction, better performance, etc.

Look, I agree with the idea, but I don't really see how this book will help me move to the "growth" mindset. After chapter 3, I wondered if the book was all just stories and anecdotes, and I can tell you after finishing it that my fears were confirmed. I've learned very little about how to actually move to the "growth" mindset other than some basic ideas which amount to affirmations.

Towards the end, she talks about how she gave a workshop for 7th graders teaching them the growth mindset, but that it took weeks, and wasn't really fit for a book like this. The problem is that this is exactly what I (and others) purchased the book for!

Overall, I'm very disappointed, but I'm giving it 3 stars because I think the idea is great and it sounds like there's some solid research behind it. I look forward to continuing my research about this elsewhere.

My recommendation is to google Dweck or look up the NYMag article about this topic and save yourselves the 20 bucks and several hours on this book.
on April 1, 2015
This is a silly book and so repetitive it really is unreadable. The whole book is about how some people have a fix mindset (bad) and others have a growth mindset (good). Those with a fixed mindset think ability and success is predetermined. Those with a growth mindset think you can keep learning and changing your potential and abilities. After this book, I think there is a regression mindset because I am surely dumber for having read this book.

Her examples and anecdotes are ridiculous and also repetitive. One that sticks out in mind is that she makes a serious example of how she went fly-fishing with a group and she caught a fish and no one else did. Some guys asked her husband how he was coping at dinner later. To me, this seems like an innocent tease but she makes it into a full psychological judgement of how these guys were so affected by their failure to catch a fish because they have a fixed mindset.
on June 30, 2011
I was extremely disappointed by this book. I first heard about it a couple of years ago and then saw it highly recommended in the book Switch, which prompted me to purchase it. I tend to enjoy books on popular psychology, Malcolm Gladwell, etc. In particular I enjoy it when an author distills research into a particular area into specific actions I can apply. One would expect this might be such a book, given that it is written by an apparently eminent social scientist who has also written for The New Yorker (perhaps my favorite magazine).

What I found instead was a quite poorly structured, anecdotal collection of assertions about mindset. She only alludes to her research in the most passing fashion, often as a paragraph mixed up with a second-hand story about John McEnroe or some other celebrity. She never really defines mindset in any rigorous way, merely assures us that it is distinct from other traits that may also be significant, and it seems she has decided that once mindset is "the answer" it becomes her lens for viewing the world - hence she sees it everywhere. She applies it in a sweeping fashion to people, often famous, that she clearly hasn't met or studied with any rigor at all, and in the end I gave up, frustrated and bored. It felt a little like "an academic's idea of a self help book" - don't bother the little people with the detail, they will trust you, amd keep them entertained with lots of inspiring stories of how mindset gets you through. But really, "where's the beef?!"

What did I hope for? Well, how did she come to think of mindset as a distinct trait? What studies did she conduct? What emerged? How did she come to define mindset? What are some examples? And most of all, how specifically did she help people improve their mindset? What are the specific factors that help? What doesn't?

I was so disappointed by this that I asked for a Kindle refund - I must say I am delighted this service exists, for exactly this reason. I suppose I could have soldiered on to the bitter end through the rambling prose and subjective assertions, but my mind was made up.

Here's how to save yourself ten bucks or so: Be determined. Whatever you believe, you can achieve. Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right. And a thousand other business cliches. Good luck!
on March 8, 2011
Although the ideas covered in this book are very interesting the book itself is unbelievably poorly done. The first 200 pages basically repeat the same general example over and over again - if you have a fixed mindset you will be less successful in the long run than if you have a growth mindset. It repeatedly tells you to "switch to a growth mind set and try again." Finally, in the end it tells you how to actually make this switch. Oh wait, no it doesn't. After suffering through all the examples to finally get to the "lessons" it never really covers how to switch from one mind set to another. It gives a little bit of vague situational advice and talks about how her workshops can teach you to do it, but never really teaches you the information you suffered through the whole book to read.
22 comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2014
I first came across the author in a TED video. Her talk about how "not yet" generates far more power than "fail" was interesting and I decided to buy her book to further read into her studies. The book in general is an interesting piece of work. I like the way she describes the "growth mindset". However, most of the book seems to focus on discussing the difference between "fixed mindset" and "growth mindset" applied to different fields. So it does get very predictable and tedious. There is far not enough discussion about how to better develop the "growth mindset". It is like the author uses the entire book to emphasize how important "growth mindset" is but doesn't really offer much help. In particular, I don't like how she attributes every corporate failure to "fixed mindset". I think it is way too generalizing and over-simplifying.