5.0 out of 5 stars My Deep Dark Secret
Published on June 28, 2005 by Eclectic Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars product placement at its best
Mine Are Spectacular is an OK book if you want to read about every product that can be endorsed under the sun. I really felt like I was reading an advertisement. Predictable plot line at best.
Published on July 25, 2005 by C. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars My Deep Dark Secret, June 28, 2005
Eclectic Reader (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel (Hardcover)
I'm not the target audience for a book like this; I'm a middle-aged man. (So arrest me.) But when women's fiction (okay, what's often called "chick lit") is done this well, I love it. (I enjoyed Bridget Jones, "The Devil Wears Prada," "Four Blondes.") But I remembered how much I enjoyed "The Botox Diaries," by these same authors, so I picked up this one, too -- and once again found myself laughing, nodding in recognition (the authors get so much about New York and its environs so very right), and looking forward to reading the next chapter. I tell myself it will help me to understand my wife better, but it's really beause a book this good, this funny, and this insightful (yes, it's that, too) is such a pleasure to come across. No matter what genre it falls into. A real pleasure from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FAST, FUN READ, August 9, 2005
This review is from: Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel (Hardcover)
This book has it all...snippy teenagers, sniping ex-es, a hilarious scene with Billy Crystal at a ballgame and three women who are great friends. I loved,loved, loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars product placement at its best, July 25, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Chick Lit for the Mid-Life Reader, June 28, 2006
This review is from: Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel (Hardcover)
I read this fast-paced book through in just one day. Divorced mom, Sara Turner's, enviable, plush NY suburban life with her lovable son and handsome fiance, Bradford, starts to unravel at age 41. Complications arise from the reappearance of her ex-husband, James, from the wilds of Patagonia, and the machinations of Bradford's ex-wife, determined to oust Sara.

Throw in a rebellious soon-to-be step-daughter, a best friend expecting twins, and another best friend embroiled in an illicit relationship with a real estate mogul. Oops, almost forgot the TV cooking show, and the hunky soap opera star taking an interest in Sara. Let's just say this book is packed with interesting characters and situations and witty dialogue.

The three women's lives intertwine with all on the brink of new beginnings and sorting out their options at mid-life. I can't wait to try The Botox Diaries by the same authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, entertaining read, August 12, 2005
This review is from: Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel (Hardcover)
A lot of name-dropping goes on throughout this novel, both people and products. Sara Turner and her eight year old son live with her fiancé Bradford in a wealthy cul-de-sac of Hadley Farms. Her two close friends Berni Davis, a retired Hollywood agent and Kate Steele, a Park Avenue dermatologist make life exciting for Sara. She stumbles on the job of a lifetime, having a cooking show, with a hunky co-star on the Food Network. To complicate matters both her ex-husband James, and Bradford's ex-wife Mimi try their hardest to get their spouses back. The narrative sometimes goes overboard in presenting the lives of the rich and famous but it is a fun glimpse.

5.0 out of 5 stars chick lit lover, August 4, 2005
This review is from: Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel (Hardcover)
"I brought two books along on vacation, "The Kite Runner" and "Mine Are Spectacular!" Guiltily, I admit that I picked up "Mine Are Spectacular!" first and I couldn't put it down, I read it straight through. The authors get it, they understand that life doesn't end at forty, it's just beginning,and they make their point hilariously. I loved their first book, "The Botox Diaries," but this one is even better."

3.0 out of 5 stars Life after forty..., September 2, 2005
This review is from: Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel (Hardcover)
Lynn Schnurnberger and Janice Kaplan cornered the market on fortysomething chick-lit with "The Botox Diaries." While they don't exactly have a sophomore slump in "Mine Are Sepectacular!," a flaccid fiancee subplot keeps this novel from being so entertaining.

Sara's first husband left her pregnant years ago. Now she's successful, engaged to hunky and wealthy Bradford, and on the verge of success in showbiz. She's also assisting her pals Berni and Kate: One is pregnant with twins at forty-three, while the other is having an affair with a married man, and refuses to admit that it's a bad idea.

As if these weren't problems enough, Sara's ex turns up, as does Bradford's snotty, possessive ex-wife Mimi (who lives up to her name) and hostile teenage daughter. With her future starting to crumble, Sara has to figure out if they can blend their clashing families into one, and whether Bradford can handle her new glamorous profession.

Kaplan and Schnurnberger have a talent for juggling multiple storylines, especially the ones applicable to fortysomething ladies: Second marriages, blended families, last-minute families, and winning over your new man's sullen teen. And, I might add, staying even somewhat sexy in the presence of constantly flirting soap hunks.

And in this book, the most fascinating stories are that of Berni and Kate. Berni is a mom for the first time, after a massively successful career. Kate is STILL successful, but time has not given her wisdom, or hardened her sense of romance. Her romance with a Donald-Trump-like mogul is a disaster-in-the-making, one can tell.

The problem, however, is Bradford. It's hard to imagine why Sara stays with this prissy twit, or why she puts up with his weird jealousies and hypocrises. Nor does it seem plausible that after staking a claim on Bradford and making every effort to seduce him back, Mimi would simply give up and turn up happily at the wedding.

One third of the subplotting falls flat, but the stories about midlife babies and already-married romance are genuinely funny and poignant. And if Sara had eloped with the soap hunk, all three might have worked out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light hen lit, September 1, 2005
This review is from: Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel (Hardcover)
I thought from the title of this that it would be about plastic surgery, and I also worried that the co-authors might give the novel a fractured voice. I was wrong on both counts. The "Mine are spectacular!" reference only pops up once, as an exercise in self-affirmation, and the voice is smooth throughout. Sara does have a friend Kate who's a plastic surgeon, but it's not central to the story.

This is the story of Sara, a 41-year-old divorcee who is navigating her way through middle age in Hadley Farms, a gated community north of New York City - though most of the story takes place in Manhattan. Oddly, Sara's connections with the entertainment world and plastic surgery industry make the setting seem more like L.A. Regis Philbin, Woody Allen, and Billy Crystal all make appearances in the text.

I liked the writing style here, which is full of fun, snappy observations: "It used to be that skinny women waltzed through parties nibbling a celery stalk or the occasional carrot stick. Now the bar's higher. To be truly admired, you have to be a size two while still wolfing down everything but the custom drapes." However, others miss the mark: "I always think drinking cranberry juice in public takes a brave woman. Either she really can't live without the taste or she has a urinary tract infection." I love cranberry juice, and judging from the popularity of the Cosmo, I'm not alone!

The plot is a little meandering, but it's entertaining as it deals with the sudden reappearance of Sara's ex-husband, who's the father of her child; Kate's affair with a married real estate mogul, who seems to be loosely modeled on Donald Trump; Sara's sometimes rocky relationship with her fiancé, Bradford; and Bradford's conniving ex-wife.

Overall, I would recommend this book to fans of light hen lit. It doesn't have much depth, but it's a quick, enjoyable beach read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious boost for us baby boomers!!!, December 18, 2007
I love this book! It is written with such wit in a light-hearted "fun" manner...yet it addresses the pitfalls women over 40 encounter as well. Makes us feel "normal". I didn't want to put it down.... and I ordered 10 copies to give to my girlfriends!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun! A great beach read, July 9, 2005
Ratmammy "The Ratmammy" (Ratmammy's Town, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
MINE ARE SPECTACULAR by Janice Kaplan and Lyn Schnurnberger

July 9, 2005

This was such a fun book to read! A great summer beach read, MINE ARE SPECTACULAR is written by the pair that penned THE BOTOX DIARIES, Janice Kaplan and Lynn Schnurnberger. Seinfeld fans will recognize the title (Think "Teri Hatcher" as the girlfriend with the big you-know-whats who says, "By the way, they're mine. And they're spectacular!")

There are three main characters, three women who are good friends, all in their 40's. Sara is a divorced mother of one who is about to get married again. Kate is a very famous dermatologist whose clients are often celebrities, and Berni is an ex-Hollywood agent who has traded in her career for motherhood - to twins. They live in the upscale suburb known as Hadley Farms in New York.

The book is filled with one funny scene after another, with a number of colorful characters that help make this novel a fun read. A hunk of a soap-opera star, a fiancé AND an ex-husband are the main men in Sara's life. She also has a very difficult future stepdaughter to deal with plus the fiancé's ex-wife. Talk about having your hands full! She also has a son who is now getting to know his father, missing after all these years in Patagonia.

Berni the ex-agent has to deal with her ex-rival Olivia. It's a rivalry that I found to be very funny. Some people can really be competitive. Olivia, plus her pregnancy, brings a lot of laughs to the story.

Kate is having an affair with a married man who also happens to be very wealthy. He seems too good to be true, at least in the beginning. Things get heated a few times when Kate actually "meets" Owen's wife.

Overall, I really enjoyed MINE ARE SPECTACULAR and I highly recommend it to women who love reading light-hearted books about slightly flawed women who are trying to find that "something" in their lives. These three women were a hoot, and they do prove that life DOES get better after 40.

Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel
Mine Are Spectacular!: A Novel by Janice Kaplan (Hardcover - June 28, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01