4 out of 5 stars
MiniSuit Keyboard Stand Case for Google Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen (2013)
Size Name: Nexus 7 (2nd Gen 2013)Color Name: BlackChange
Price:$27.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Size Name: Nexus 7 (1st Gen 2012)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I'm pretty tech savvy but I could not get this keyboard to sync to my Nexus tablet.Also, the USB on the keyboard was bent and had a difficult time getting the plug to go in.
on December 29, 2012
Size Name: Nexus 7 (1st Gen 2012)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I was uncertain as to which case to get. I wanted a keyboard as well. This was a perfect fit.
on August 22, 2013
Size Name: Nexus 7 (1st Gen 2012)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I purchased this product to be able to use my tablet for taking notes in my college courses. When I received the case and keyboard, the top row of keys did not work! The other buttons stick and are difficult to use. This purchase was a total waste of money, as I can not use it because the unusable keys.
on November 8, 2014
Size Name: Nexus 7 (2nd Gen 2013)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I got this keyboard case about 6 months ago, with the intention of taking it to college and using it to take notes. Compared to an ordinary keyboard or even a laptop keyboard, it's pretty hard to use, but that's to be expected when it has to be this small. Actually, it's quite convenient. It's much faster than waging war on an on-screen keyboard and it's much less obtrusive than voice typing. That being said, it has several issues which prevent me from giving it five stars.

-Since it is so small, many punctuation marks, including the single-quote/apostrophe, are accessed by a function key combined with a letter key. This can be awkward, especially since I have to type "fn + l" to make an apostrophe, and when I'm in the middle of a lecture typing on an already-awkward keyboard, I cannot afford to waste time on that. Additionally, I will occasionally type "l" by mistake after an apostrophe, so I'lm always trying to backspace to my mistakes.
-The connection to the tablet is laggy, so it's sometimes difficult to see if what you're typing actually went through or not. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that when you first turn the keyboard on, it takes a few seconds to connect, so you're left guessing as to whether you're actually connected or not. Additionally, I noticed that about 5 months after getting the keyboard I would type a letter and the kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeyboard would get stuck on that letter, leaving me to backspace through the extra copies and waste still more time.
-The case does not hold your Nexus 7 very securely. What I mean is that the Velcro that holds the tablet in tends to slip, causing it to sag low in the case and making it difficult to activate the volume and power buttons, as well as reach the micro USB port.
-Finally, I noticed this morning that the number 2 key had come off. I don't know when this happened, and I don't know where the key went, but I had not subjected the case or tablet to any abuse other than putting it in my backpack with a few other loose items.

Ultimately, I cannot unequivocally praise or decry this item. It is possible that I got a defective unit, although other customers have also complained of keys falling out in other reviews, leading me to suspect otherwise. However, it did serve me faithfully during the tail end of my senior year at high school, and it does make entering text into your tablet much faster and easier. Overall, I suggest getting this if you can't afford a more premium offering and can't bring a laptop to type on. Otherwise, there are better options.
on January 21, 2014
Size Name: Nexus 7 (2nd Gen 2013)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Summary:
I bought the case to use with a new Nexus 7 (2013 edition). I am very pleased with the design. However, after two weeks of use, some keys on the keyboard began to malfunction. I am currently in discussion with MiniSuit customer service about resolving this issue and will update my review once I have resolution.

Construction:
The case is made of a soft and pliant faux leather, stitched to a microfiber liner, with what seems to be a cardboard insert to give stiffness to the front and back covers. The same faux leather is used around the keyboard, creating a thin "brick" containing the keyboard, on/off switch, Bluetooth pairing button, and USB port for charging. The keyboard brick attaches magnetically to the bottom side of the case, with the tablet fitting into a velcro-secured pouch on the top side of the case. The quality of the case materials is pretty high given the price point. The stitching is uniform and while I have found one or two little loose ends, they are easily trimmable. The stand and closure are secure. The case has a sturdy feel.

The materials on the electronic components -- keyboard, switches and USB port -- feel a bit cheaper. Don't expect it to feel like a desktop keyboard. Probably about what you would expect at the price point.

Design:
All the basics are done well, and there are some unexpected extras. Cutouts for speakers, switches, rear camera, and charger/headphone plugs are all in the right places and have ample leeway for manipulation. You can even access the SIM card slot without removing the tablet from the case, though I'm not sure most users would have a need to do so. It is easy to get the tablet in and out of the sleeve window, and the velcro holds it there securely. Two very minor issues here: (1) if the velcro closure is not slid in tightly, the tablet becomes a bit loose in the sleeve, which can make it harder to reach the screen switch and volume toggle; (2) it's a little hard to get the tablet in and out without hitting the screen switch, so if you are working on something while taking the tablet in and out, you may need to go through your password screen an extra time.

The case opens and closes easily, with a slide-tab closure. So long as the case is closed "square" (top directly over bottom), it will operate the tablet's magnetic on/off, so that the screen turns off when the case is closed and on when the case opens. Note that because of the flexible faux leather, it is possible to close the case with the two sides not quite square, and that can cause a failure to shut off the screen, and inadvertent key entries on the closed keyboard. At this price point, I do not consider that a cause for complaint.

The detachability of the magnetic keyboard brick is a nice feature. Although I tend to use it in the case, with the stand set up in landscape orientation, you could in theory detach the keyboard and set up the stand in portrait orientation. Or you could set the tablet to one side while typing on the detached keyboard.

Another nice feature is the overlap of the two sides of the case when closed. Because the tablet is held in place behind a leather-framed window, and there is some depth to the leather, the screen is physically separated from the keyboard, reducing the risk of imprints or scratches from the key surfaces. It might be possible to get the keys to touch the screen with a lot of point pressure on the front and back of the case, but it appears it would be pretty hard to do so (I haven't tried).

Functionality:
The stand is easy to open. It requires a little manipulation to close smoothly, but not objectionable. It stays in place magnetically when closed. The flap closure is easy to open and close. Pairing the keyboard is neither complicated nor difficult. You do need to follow the instructions, have Bluetooth activated on the tablet, etc.

As for typing, the keys are small and close together, but usable. They get about as much as you can out of the form factor. It doesn't feel like a full-size keyboard but is a lot faster than an onscreen virtual keyboard. All the necessary keys are available, although some require access through a function key (I was a bit annoyed that the apostrophe is one of those "secondary" keys, but not sure what I would trade for it).

Reliability:
This would be a five star review were it not for the fact that the keyboard began to malfunction after two weeks of use. I did not use the keyboard heavily; I didn't drop it or bang it around; there were no spills -- but after two weeks of light use several keys simply stopped working. They are not on a single row or column. I remember reading something in some of these reviews that suggested there may simply be some bad batches of keyboards, and perhaps mine will be replaced with a perfectly functioning unit. I am currently in discussions with MiniSuit customer service to resolve the issue, and will update the review when that process is finished. For now, I am demoting the rating to three stars.
on December 27, 2012
Size Name: Nexus 7 (1st Gen 2012)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I love the removable keyboard and kick stand. Only thing I wish it also did was have the option to use the kickstand in portrait mode. All in all it does just what I'd hoped for and protects my tablet very well.
on September 8, 2014
Size Name: Nexus 7 (1st Gen 2012)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Pros:
*Protects the tablet
*Keyboard works great
*Folds out into a stand

Cons:
*Cheap stitching (The stitching was already falling away when I opened the box. This is the reason of the lost star)

Notes:
*Once the tablet is in the case it is really hard to get it back out. I did not list this under pro or con because it is good that it holds on to the tablet like this but some instances may require you to pull it out of the case.
*Needs a better way to fold the case all the way open so that you can use the tablet as a tablet. You may could fold the closing strap backwards and hold it but due to the stitching issue I am afraid this will tear it.

Overall, I would recommend this product. I think the stitching should be of better quality.
on November 4, 2013
Size Name: Nexus 7 (1st Gen 2012)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Several of the keys don't work (the vowels). Having to return it. Uggg! Would have loved it, had it worked right.
on February 5, 2013
Size Name: Nexus 7 (1st Gen 2012)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Arrived damaged. There was no damage to the shipping packaging of box but when I went to charge the item I noticed the charging port is bent so unable to charge the Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard is not charged upon arrival so unable to use it at all. Also large blob of glue on the tab which keeps the case closed. The awake/sleep feature did work as described however. Filed a complainer with merchant requesting replacement sent out with expedited shipping due to the damage. No reply yet. Inspect your item fully, because they obviously don't.
review image review image review image
on April 21, 2014
Size Name: Nexus 7 (1st Gen 2012)Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
At first this unit worked great but now the shift key doesn't work for the punctuation or it gets stuck in capslock mode and it tends to drop a lot of keystrokes. The fact that the ' key requires FN to be pressed is especially annoying since it is used so frequently for contractions among other things. At this point the keyboard is so flakey it's essentially useless. Even more annoying I do not see a link to contact the seller.

EDIT: It turned out that the problem was due to one of the configuration settings in the software keyboard. After changing it the keyboard is behaving properly.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations