Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on February 22, 2011
Found this item online and thought it would be the most cost efficient option. Turns out I was right. With this, not only do I save myself from buying a $35 adapter, but a $10 HDMI cable too. I was a bit skeptical on whether or not it would work, as there is no specific brand listed, but it works perfectly. It delivers both video up to 1080p and clear, stereo audio. I am happy with my purchase.

For those of you who are having a hard time getting the audio to work:
* Your computer must support audio over the Mini DisplayPort. To find out if it does, go to System Profiler (option-click the Apple menu, System Profiler...), click the audio tab, and under the outputs should be listed: "HDMI / DisplayPort Output." If it is not listed, chances are your computer does not support it.
* You must select your TV as the output device. To do this, either option-click the audio menu icon and select it under "Audio Device:," or go to System Preferences (Apple menu -> System Preferences) -> Sound -> Output and select it. Hope this helps.

EDIT: If your receiver supports it, this cable can actually carry digital signals such as Dolby, DTS, and 6-channel (WOW!!!) LPCM.
3535 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2011
Edit On 2/6/2012:

When I Originally wrote this review I had the 2011 Early MacBook Pro Model(one without the Thunderbolt port which Mac started to sell late February) With Snow leopard Mac OS X v10.6.

I still have the same MacBook as well as the Cable that still works wonderfully. I've upgraded to Lion so the Original post is more directed towards those who have Snow Leopard, because in Lion they change a couple of features on how to locate the HDMI Audio.

The port your looking for is called: FireWire 800 port - there are some models who have the 400 port, I honestly never tried to use this with a 400 port version so I can't tell you the difference between the two.

If you still have box/packaging that your MacBook/Mac Mini/Whatever Mac Device you have, check to see if you have FireWire 800 port listed under technical specifications. More than Likely this cable will work for you. If you don't have the box or the manual then you check it online by following this steps (if you have Lion Installed or Mac OS X v10.7 and above) :

1. Click on the Apple Icon in the top left corner of the screen.
2. Click "About this Mac"
3. Click "More Info"
4. Click "Overview" located on the Left side.
5. Click on "System Report" button located on the bottom. When Click a different window should open.
4. Click on "Audio (Built In)". Located on the Left side.
5. "HDMI/DisplayPort Output" should be listed below the list under ""Audio (Built In)" on the right side of the window. If you see this then this cable will work for you.

I know for a fact that that this cable will work with mid 2010 and present MacBook models.

Buy this cable, You'll be forever grateful, I see cables similar to this costing $30 or more. This will be the best (small) investment that you'll make.

-----
Bellow is my Original Post when I had Snow Leopard installed:

I received the cable in the mail today and I hooked up my MacBook to my HDTV and it worked!!! I have a Samsung HDTV and I knew that I was able to hook up my MacBook Pro to it. So instead of buying multiple cables and adapters, this one cable worked great, Great picture quality as well as sound quality.

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH ALL MACBOOKS!!!! IF you have a older model, then you have to do it the old fashion way and buy multiple cables and adapters in order to hook it up to your HDTV.

To make sure your able to use this for your MacBook Do these simple Steps

1. Click on the Apple Icon in the top left corner of the screen.
2. Click About this Mac
3. Click More Info
4. Click on Audio (Built In). Located on the Left side.

Once the Audio(Built In) is open check to see if you have HDMI Output or HDMI/DisplayPort Output on the list. If you do Then go right ahead and buy this Item. I think majority new laptops and Desktops have this feature, you have to investigate to double check to know for sure.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2011
I have a 2011 Macbook Air, so I'm not sure of other models.

This thing is perfect! I think some people are leaving bad reviews because everything is not magically done for them once they plug in the two ends. I'm no mac expert, this is my first mac actually, so if I can figure it out, you can too. And I've made it even easier for you... Here are the HOW TO steps:

1. Plug in both ends, mini display port on your macbook and the HDMI on any available port on your LCD.
2. Go to upper left Apple menu and scroll down to system preference. Or use your FINDER from the dock, go to applications, then system preference.
3. Click on Displays
4. Click on DETECT DISPLAY
5. A similar screen pops up with name of your LCD, mine says SONY LCD, click on ARRANGEMENT
6. Click the box that says MIRROR DISPLAYS.
7. Go back into system preferences and go to SOUNDS which is located under HARDWARE.
8. Click on OUTPUT, then select HDMI, which should be listed next to your LCD name. DONE!! ENJOY!

The great thing about the macbook air is that it remembers your set-up. So if you unplug your lcd, internal macbook volume comes back. Next time you plug in your tv again, mirror display and hdmi output volume will be back as well. No need to fiddle again!
on October 26, 2012
With so many Mac related reviews, I wanted to also let people know this cable works great on my ThinkPad T530 laptop. I utilize it to hook up to an external monitor and I've also used it several times to hook up to my HDTV. When I do so, the sound and video work through the TV. Great little cable!
on May 12, 2011
This cable was certainly a good investment. You do not need to buy another HDMI cable (which can ve very expensive), and the image is very good: sharp, perfect colors. My MacBook Pro has immediately recognized my TV and set the correct profile.
Concerning audio there a lot of review complaining that the cable does not convey audio signal: the problem does not come from the cable but from your MacBook. Audio output was added to the MacBook Pro on April 13, 2010. Previous models do not support audio output through the mini display port.
This was not a problem for me, because I use my stereo for audio output.

08/04/2011: I have tried the cable on a new Dell XPS laptop, and both audio and video worked. So if you have no audio, you should really check that your mini-displayport does actually output audio.
on September 1, 2011
I just received my cable today, and so far it works great! It is better quality than I had expected just because of the price. It came with durable caps to cover each end of the cable (HDMI and MINI DIsplay port) and the cable feels sturdy, not cheap. When I first connected my Mac to my Samsung HDTV it recognized it, but the screen was just blank. Thanks to some really helpful reviews I was able to figure out how to get the audio and display working!

If anyone else is confused..

Display: Go to, Apple Menu > System Preferences > Displays > then check the box "Mirrored Display"

For Audio: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Sounds > Output > then select the correct HDMI outlet. (Mine said "HDMI Samsung")

Hope this helps!
on July 27, 2011
I have a 2009 13" Macbook Pro and the Apple store wanted to charge me $40 for this chord. At first, when I plugged my Mac into my Vizio TV, it only showed the purple welcome screen found on Macs. However, after playing with it a while I realized that when I clicked on the TV screen icon that appeared on the top of my computer screen and selected "Turn On Mirroring," the active picture from my computer showed up.

In order to get the audio to go through my TV, I went to System Preferences and clicked on "Sound" and then selected the "E470VA HDMI" option and the sound immediately worked. I am so excited!!!! I love that I can accomplish all this through only one chord and it's such a cheap price. The picture quality is fantastic.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 4, 2011
I bought this cable once I had ordered a new iMac to replace my older Mac Mini home theater computer. When it arrived, I tested it and found that it worked, including for audio, but on all three of my 2011 Macs (iMac, MacBook Air, and MB Pro) it will not allow me to output a 60hz refresh rate to my 1080p LG television. My old video-only adapter did allow 60hz, but for some reason this new cable does not. I can set it to 60hz but the screen goes blank and says "No Signal". When set at 59hz, it makes colorful speckles all over the image.

I have done all the Apple system updates, including the Thunderbolt firmware upgrade, and nothing has changed. The main problem with this is that it is not fun to try to game or watch a high-def movie at 30fps, since it even appears that the mouse pointer moves slow.

If this is not a problem that anyone else has experienced, please let me know as I would then return it for a replacement.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2013
While this product worked for what I needed it to, within a dozen uses the casing on the Mini DisplayPort side cracked and the sheath came off the coax. I uploaded a photograph to this product so you can see.
review image
on March 22, 2012
Worked fine for the first couple months I had it but now (6 MONTHS LATER) my MacBook shows the blue screen like it recognizes that it's plugged up but when I go to the display settings the second screen doesn't show up.