Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on June 1, 2011
I'm using this motor along with the Intex Excursion 5 inflatable boat.

It powered us around two different lakes over the Memorial Day weekend without issue.

The motor draws 30 Amps at full throttle, Minn Kota recommends minimum of 105Ah marine battery while using this motor. I got the battery from WalMart for $69

For a complete breakdown of power draw, contact Minn Kota tech support and they can give the amperage at each speed.

Nothing more to write, no complaints and an awesome price! You won't regret this purchase!
2121 comments150 of 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2011
First day out with the motor on the Catawba we were trying to dock our canoe. The alarms sounded on the dam and in no time the water was rushing steadily. My wife and I were paddeling with everything we had. We moved backwards more than foward. I dropped the motor in the water, thinking that between paddeling and this we could make it to the boat ramp. We both stopped rowing and this little trolling motor carried us to the dock without effort. This has really exceeded my expectations, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a kayak or canoe motor. Awesome product at half the price of Bass Pro Shops.
99 comments183 of 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2011
My wife and I needed an electric motor for our 16' canoe since I cannot paddle too long (old wrist injury). This little motor is perfect -- light-weight, the 30" shaft fits the canoe (the 36" shafts on larger motors would be way too long), and it has plenty of power. Before buying the motor I searched the Internet for hard data about performance and couldn't find any. Here is how fast it pushes my wife and me in our 16' Ranger Canoe: Setting 5 was 3.6 to 3.8 mph, setting 4 was 2.8 mph, setting 3 was 2.5 mph, setting 2 was 2.1 mph and setting 1 was 1.7 to 1.8 mph. Total weight in the canoe was 350 lbs; adding 100 lbs (two dogs) slowed us down only 0.1 to 0.2 mph for each setting. For comparison, our easy paddling speed is 2.5 to 3.0 mph, and our top speed is 4.5 mph, but we're not very strong paddlers (in our early 60s). One other thing, we use a 46 lb battery, and our longest trip so far of 4 hours used only 1/4 of the battery reserve.
66 comments189 of 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2013
I went with the 30 minn kota for my 14 ft flat bottom, trying to save a little money. The small motor does decent.... your not going anywhere in a hurry, lol. Also, if it is pretty windy, you are going to struggle, I took this motor to land between the lakes, and tried to use it to move around the main banks on a very windy "white cap day"...... it worked okay. if your trying to move towards the direction the wind is coming from, you may have some issues. I have used this little motor on 3 different boats, my 14 ft flat bottom, a 12 ft flat bottom we rented (10HP max lake), and a 10 ft v bottom. It works about the same on all 3, the small 10 footer is a heavy boat, maybe even heavier than my 14 ft.

Bottom line, it will do the job. It will move you around coves, or even across small, not so windy channels. BUT.... if you can afford to spend another 65 bucks, just buy the 40 LBS, I can promise you, you will be happier with it. Not saying Im not happy with this small motor, but I do wish I had the extra 10 ft LBS for windy days, or rivers with a swifter current. If you cant afford the other one, or refuse to wait any longer and saye up (like I did.... lol, couldn't wait), buy this one. Like I said, small boats, calm lake, you will get around pretty good. On a river, stronger current, or a windy day.... not so much. Hope this helps someone.
11 comment68 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2012
Using on: 14foot tri-hull gamefisher
Would I recommend? Yes, on smaller boats
What you need to know: Requires a breaker that can be hard to find locally, best to order it when you order the motor

Purchased this motor because of the price and the rebate offered at the time. I had my eye on another one from Bass Pro, but the shipping was insane. Got this one shipped for free.

I knew when I purchased it that it that would be a little to small for a boat my size and weight. But after spending a couple of bucks fixing up my old boat I didnt have enough in my budget for the next size up. So I took the gamble figuring I could get a season or two out of it before I upgrade.

I fish smaller inland lakes. The first time I took it out, it was really windy, while it moved the boat, each gust would have me fighting to keep the boat going straight. I don't bring this up as a fault of the motor, just to let you know its a little to weak for a boat like mine. I took it out again yesterday in a light breeze and it ran like a champ and handled the boat just fine. Here is what my GPS read:
Speed 1: 1.3mph
Speed 2: 1.6mph
Speed 3: 1.9mph
Speed 4: 2.2mph
Speed 5: 3.1mph

So, why 4 stars instead of 5? The "required" circuit breaker. There was no mention I needed one until I received it and opened it up and took a look at the instruction manual. I had a hell of a time finding one locally. It would not have been difficult to integrate one into the motor design or an inline in the finished wiring (why is the wiring finished if you have to splice in a breaker?)and just charging $2 more. If it is "required" it should have been included.
55 comments75 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2011
I actually have the endura 34 but they are almost identical.I put this motor on my Water skeeter pontoon boat,I usually fish on the Willamette or the Mckenzie River in Oregon.I was catching a decent amount of fish just drifting downstream,but there are so many places that if you troll back up the river a few times you catch a lot more.Well I am in my 50's & trying to oar a pontoon boat upstream more than 2x is just not gonna happen for me.My first time I loaded up my toon with the motor & the recommended size battery,it was not fun.I tried it with a 105ah deep cycle battery,my boat was sitting way low in the back.My motor mount was a little to tall for me to operate the motor comfortably.2nd time out made a new motor mount,& bought a fully sealed 35ah deep cycle battery,that I made a fully waterproof box for it & back to the river I went.Oh what a difference,I had so much fun ,didnt catch any fish but I was able to go upstream quite a ways.The current can be pretty strong on the rivers,but most of the places I wanted to go back upstream I was able too.Not real fast but the motor does have enough umph to let me make several passes instead of just drifting down only getting one shot at hooking up the big one.My wires never even got warm nor did my battery show any signs of a voltage drop. Going up stream I had it wide open on 5 for 10 -15 min at a time.I did find the limit of just how strong of current the motor could still push me upstream as I had to traverse back & forth to make forward progress in some spots.But I was impressed with the little motor& also was suprised how quiet & smooth it is.The quick release on the pivoting part of the motor mount is a blessing.Whenever I was coming into shallow 5-6 in of water I just reach back & tilt it up real quick keep from dinging up the prop.I also found the way you adjust the depth of your shaft & prop to be very handy,makes it easy to dial it in for whatever condition you find yourself in.You can also adjust how easy you want it to steer, I like mine with a little drag on it,I find it easier to keep the boat going in a straight line.I think for my application having the smaller battery is a must,unless you make a platform to mount it in front of the seat but I think with the wires & battery up there it would be in your way.I ran mine for more than 2hrs at high speed & I think voltage dropped a half of volt.Anyways for a small boat you cant go wrong with one of these little power houses.Buy a good battery,the one I got it wont leak & never have to add water,the guy said they can withstand alot more abuse as far as getting bounced around or if it tips over on its side its no biggy.I think its similar to what they use in the electric wheel chairs or power scooters.They are a little expensive about $85.If you have the room for the 105ah go for it,Wal mart has a decent marine deep cycle $65. Well hopefully if your thinking of motorizing your pontoon boat this helps a little.
11 comment12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2011
I put this motor on my 14' jon boat to use in saltwater and it works great. Not sure how long it will last, but if it lasts 1-2 years I'll be happy for this price. Works great for holding position, moving short distances, or even motoring around in calm water.
55 comments9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2015
I purchased the Minn Kota C2 30 trolling motor for my Old Town Predator 13 kayak after doing a considerable amount of research. This trolling motor fits my requirements perfectly. It is compact, light weight, and provides plenty of thrust for the kayak. I also looked into the Minn Kota MAX 40 trolling motor, but after looking at it in person I came to the conclusion that it was too big and heavy for my application. It is 6 inches longer and much heavier. So, despite it having a digital maximizer (longer battery life) I decided that the C2 30 was the better choice. When choosing a trolling motor for your kayak, you absolutely have to pay close attention to the amount of weight you are adding. You will have a trolling motor hanging over the side of the kayak (if you side mount it), plus you will have a heavy full sized deep cycle battery. For the battery I used a Walmart EverStart 27DC and installed it in a Minn Kota Trolling Motor Power Center (available on Amazon). I chose the 27DC battery because it fits perfectly inside of the power center and gives me plenty of battery capacity. I HIGHLY recommend the Minn Kota Trolling Motor Power Center for this type of set up. It gives you a 60 amp circuit breaker, an accessory circuit breaker, accessory power, and a battery meter. In closing, if you are looking for a small dependable trolling motor for your fishing kayak that gives plenty of thrust this is the perfect solution.
review image
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2012
I bought an Old Town Guide 147 canoe last year, and have been having a blast with it. Recently, I decided that an electric motor would be a great addition, and after some research, decided to buy the Minn Kota C2 30 from Amazon.

The trolling motor arrived fast (as all things do from Amazon's Prime service). I also bought the battery center that Minn Kota makes, which makes loading the ridiculously heavy battery a much safer and easier process. In addition, the Old Town Outrigger motor mount was purchased (a great add-on for you Old Town boat owners -- highly recommended).

As I live in NH, I had to go register my boat so I could use the new motor. Somewhere in the process, I was asked what the horsepower rating is for this motor. I had no idea, so I decided that 3 horse reasonable (even though I think it's much less). I paid about 40 bucks to register the boats, and about 15 bucks on the registration stickers to put on the side of the boat. The battery was bought at a local auto store for about 80 bucks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to plan ahead for the costs that you're going to spend. It's not a simple hundred bucks spent. Registration, battery costs, motor mount and unexpected costs on registration and numbers (my state has no sales tax -- but ridiculous amounts of milfoil, aquatic plant and conservation fees totaling more than the cost to register the boat).

I was disappointed to say the least that this was such an expensive endeavor. That was, of course, until I strapped the motor on this afternoon and went out on the Connecticut River and a local pond. This little motor makes the boat cut through the water with ease and a remarkably fast pace. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about this trolling motor and was easily competing with the speed encountered in those videos. I loaded the boat up with three large adults and was still able to compete, going upstream. I am entirely impressed with this motor. The only flaw I can see is the rather short amount of wire used to hook this motor to the battery center. The battery doesn't fit under or behind my seat, so I need to put it in front of the rear canoe seat. It makes sitting in the awkward and sometimes rather uncomfortable. I logged on tonight to find some form of extension for the cable, so I can place the battery in the center of the boat (which will even out the boat a little as well).

Overall, this is a great purchase and I'm very happy. Just be aware that you'll need to register your boat ($$$) and buy a battery, and in some cases, other accessories to make this motor work for you.
11 comment34 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2013
We bought this motor for the intex excursion 5 (2013) It worked perfectly! It got us around a small reservoir with no problem at all. Even in some pretty nasty wind. It's quiet, Easy to maneuver,very light and easy set up. We use a Size 24 Everstart Maxx marine Battery from Wal Mart and for the most part we kept it on #1 or #2 setting just for trolling the whole time. We figured the motor was running for about 6-7 hours and when i got home to put it on the charger it was at 66%. So i'm very happy with how efficient this motor actually is. Overall i'm very very happy with this product.