Mino HD - Jerkey Video Playback I just bought a Mino HD for my daughter after reading all the rave reviews. I'm very disappointed that the video playback is very jerkey, as if the video is skipping or cutting out frames. Basically makes the unit worthless in my view. Is this standard for the Mino HD or did I get a bad unit? Is there some adjustment I should be making?
asked by Col des Aravis on December 25, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
The given question is the CPU and video card speed of your computer (assuming you are using your computer to view the videos).
Do you have the same issue when viewing the video on your TV when the Flip Mino HD is directly connected to your TV?
All of these units (Creative Vado HD as well) need sufficient processing speed for HD quality videos.
Jim answered on December 25, 2008
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Make sure your machine satisfies the system requirements first.
TPY answered on December 26, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
To all who have posted. As a non-tech kind of guy, all of your suggestions make sense and have a common theme. I will first try to playback video from the Mino directly on the TV, second I will playback on my laptop (good guess) with the cord plugged in and, third, I will check that my system requirements are up to the task (should be as I have a VAIO that is only 8 months old). Will get back to you shortly with the results. Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions.
Col des Aravis answered on December 27, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This is not a 'promo' rather a response to the 'MBAs' that note the Vado issues while repeatedly denying that the same issues can and do occur with the Flip Mino HD and a factual statement about how the two differ.

Yes...you don't have any option within the Flip Mino HD if this occurs while you do have a in camera option in the VadoHD that solves the problem for some, but not all. Perhaps a firmware upgrade with the Flip Mino HD could give the camera the same option, but at present it does not and may never.
Jim answered on December 30, 2008

A
A VAIO that is 8 months old may still be problematic depending on what laptop you bought. Still, likely you're good in that department. But H.264, the codec used to store the video, especially in HD, is an expensive thing for a computer to decode. Most devices, like iPods or Blu Ray players, have acceleration hardware that is custom made for that type of video. The video card in my desktop also has support for the codec, so the specs mino provides are not everything. If the video card has an accelerator the processor doesn't matter so much.

Discussion thread on the topic:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/h264-high-cpu-on-dual-core-and-9600gt-t358020.html

Another suggestion I'd make is to transfer the files off the mino before playing them. USB 2.0 ports should have the bandwidth, but it'll be faster playing from your hard drive. If you can't play the files it's not worth much to you of course, but the codec and container format the mino employs is pretty much the standard for HD video or digital video in general these days.
borland502 answered on December 31, 2008

A
I was able to solve this problem by upgrading my video player. I use VLC, which I can't recommend enough. I couldn't play Mino HD's files on my 1.7GHz single-core Pentium Centrino/4MB RAM, 2.5-year-old laptop with VLC 0.9.4 (of course Quicktime and Windows Media Player didn't work). I upgraded to 0.9.8a and it now plays smoothly. It seems like they really got the decoding down.

www.videolan.org/vlc/

Edit: I tried with a 14-month-old VAIO (only 1MB RAM) and it played fine with both versions of VLC, so this might not help. But on my laptop it definitely helped so it's worth a try!
Amazon Customer answered on January 5, 2009

A
The first time I played the Flip Mino HD on an HP 2.7 core2duo pent w/128 mg SHARED on board (generic) video & 2 gb ram I had jerky video playback & skipped frames as well. I also assumed at first I got a lemon.
I played it back on a computer w/Dell 2.4 core2duo pent Radeon x1300pro 256 mg video (old now) & 1 gb ram & it was smooth. BTW both computers were using vista (yes, 1 gig ram w/vista is pushing it)
So the suggestion to test w/good computer that can handle media well or tv is a great way to check. When comes to computers, you need not just speed (chip speed/motherboard/RAM), but you must get a name brand separate video card (stay away from generic/on board/shared type) as this is about video ability.
Lena, Massage Therapist answered on January 7, 2009

A
Im guessing it is the machine. My laptop a little jerk. My Game machine no jerk at all.
A1 Sauce answered on December 6, 2009

A
I also experienced a jerky play back on my older Mac G4 Laptop but not when played back on a newer Sony HD TV. I just purchased a new Mac Pro laptop and the Mino HD plays perfectly. So it must be the CPU speed being too slow in your computer. Thus a great idea for a Christmas present !!

Bill Linder
William R. Linder answered on December 16, 2009

A
Thanks... it worked!
Jennifer J. Baucher answered on January 25, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product