5.0 out of 5 stars Great shirt for biking
The build quality is impressive and it compares favorably to other "performance" merino wool items I have from brands like Smartwool and Icebreaker. The Minus 33 shirt costs considerably less than those bigger names. You might think it's still pretty costly for a t-shirt, but this is no normal t-shirt.

I bike 30 minutes each way to work. In the three weeks I've...
Published on April 19, 2010 by J. Castaldi

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the pictured shirt!
I'm sure this wool shirt will make for an excellent base layer, but I was very surprised to see that it also comes with the minus 33 logo embossed on its chest, which is definitely left out of the picture. I wouldn't have gotten it if I had known this. Shame on the seller for misrepresenting their product like that.
Published on April 12, 2010 by H. Skeet Surrency

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shirt for biking, April 19, 2010

I bike 30 minutes each way to work. In the three weeks I've had this top, temperatures in Chicago have ranged from the low 40s to the low 80s. I've worn the Minus 33 LightWeight shirt throughout all of it, and it's been great in both extremes. When it's been cooler I've worn it as a base layer under a long sleeve shirt or light jacket. When it's been warmer I've worn it by itself. It kept me warm when it was cool out, and when it was warm and I worked up a good sweat it breathed well and wicked sweat away very effectively. I'm confident it will perform well in hotter temperatures too.

Another reviewer said he felt the shirt ran a size small because it wasn't loose like a Hanes t-shirt. I'd say it's a more "athletic" fit, and you don't really want a top like this to fit too loosely because then it won't insulate or wick sweat away. The fine gauge merino wool used in this shirt is soft, so you won't mind it fitting close to the skin.

What they say about merino wool's natural odor fighting abilities is spot on; it just works. I have synthetic tops which do a great job wicking away sweat, but after my morning commute they smell bad. After my evening commute, they smell toxic. I've been able to wear the Minus 33 top for my rides five days in a row without it ever smelling badly enough that you'd be uncomfortable riding in an elevator with me. Just let it hang in a closet to air out and you're good to go.

The shirt washes easily too, just turn it inside out and throw it in the washing machine. I've washed it three times and it doesn't seem to have shrunk or stretched out or anything uncool.

Bottom line, I've been stoked on this shirt and will likely add some more Minus 33 items to my collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the pictured shirt!, April 12, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars wooly bully baselayer, August 6, 2011
D. Sullivan "Battlemage" (Warwick, NY United States) - See all my reviews
After being recently put on the deployment list at my company, I was advised that we shouldn't wear UnderArmour or other poly-based microfiber clothing over to Iraq or Afghanistan due the risk of being shrink-wrapped in case of an IED or other combustion situation.

Following some research and trepidation about wool base layer (I've been wearing UnderArmour for the last several years; UA's wicking is nice on the humid East Coast) I decided to try -33 as more price competitive compared to the Smartwool options. Note: -33 are at least 50% more expensive than UA and over double the price of a fruit of the loom 4-pack. Smartwool is even more expensive.

After several days wearing them around town, as well as the -33 underwear, I can report that they are remarkably comfortable. The fabric is smooth, almost like a very high quality jersey sheet. No itching at all.

Compared to UA, they do retain heat at the early stages of exertion, but the wicking effect kicks in and equalizes the heat. On the other hand, my office is pretty cold and the -33's do feel warmer compared to the UA, even after hiking from one end of the building to the other and back. I have not tried them during gym workouts or bike rides so that will have to wait for later experimentation. Washing them is easy in cold water, and they dry quickly on the rack. The instructions say they can be tossed in the dryer on low - however I am dreading what happens when the KBR laundry in the sandbox gets hold of them.

Two things that I would improve, were I in charge of -33 for a day: 1. get rid of or minimize the absurdly large tag, and 2. make them so they can stand at least medium dryer heat without shrinking.

Overall a pretty good foray into wool baselayer. Your results may vary

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent travel shirt for all weather, February 8, 2010
I was skeptical about trying a wool t-shirt for traveling. I'm so used to polyester or other synthetics that going to wool seemed like it'd be torture. I wore this on two trips: One to Singapore and one to Rome (in January) and the shirt performed great.

In Singapore, I had anticipated sweating profusely with this shirt and actually, it wasn't that bad. It was Singapore and thus, hot and humid, and the shirt did better than expected. It washed and hung dry quickly enough that I'd be ok with adding another shirt into my travel clothes without a problem.

In Rome it was in the 40's, and I used this as a base layer tshirt and it kept me warmer than my polyester shirts. It also breathed more, so I didn't feel like I the polyester shirt just absorbed my sweat and stayed there.

The size is a bit generous. I'm a XL plus lunch, and it seemed loose, which is nice and makes you feel better.

I'd gladly buy another shirt or two. At $40, I was initially hesitant, but I'm glad I did it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright for the most part, December 8, 2011
I like the fact that it does breathe well and insulate well when its a bit cold. I live on Guam which is very humid and I found this shirt to be breathable and cool when it's really hot. I do have some issues with the tags. There are two of them and they are leather. They irritate my neck and I'm surprised that nobody here has mentioned them. I thought about removing them but the stitching looks so small and tight that I would probably damage the shirt if I tried to. I found my shirt to be sized a little smaller than I would like. They should mention that it's fitted.

One other thing that annoyed me was that the shirt came in so much packaging. It actually came in a box. I don't just mean the box from Amazon or the seller I mean the shirt is individually packaged in its own box. I will update my review as needed while I do continue to wear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Material. Good Build Quality., March 14, 2010
This will keep you cool in the summer and warm in the summer. It wicks sweat and doesn't get smelly. Runs 1 size small. I wear Hanes Large undershirts and they are loose and breathe well. The Minus33 Large fits almost skin tight. Order 1 size large if you want a great Eco friendly shirt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the length. Love it! But..., January 15, 2012
I just got this item in today, tried it on and LOVE it. I have recently discovered merino wool clothes and am stocking up. Problem I found is everyone's shirts are way too short for me. I didn't realize this till after spending $70 for and Icebreaker T. I did a lot of looking to find who makes a Tall size and no one does. Then I found these and read in reviews how long they were. I decided to spend the money and give it a shot and it was totally worth it! This shirt is a good four inches longer than the both Icebreaker's and Smartwool's Ts.

I will say this, I like the fit of the Icebreaker and Smartwool T. They are just not long enough. The length of the sleeves on this one are a little too long for my taste but I can deal with it.

**Update** After having the shirt for the day and wearing it I have to say that I like my Icebreaker T better. As soon as I put the Icebreaker T on I loved it. It complimented me so well. Maybe it's the cut, more athletic perhaps but it is completely flattering when I wear it. The Minus33 not so much. It makes me look more like the fatty that I really am. This being said, if you aren't vain like me, go for it. As an undershirt this will work great. I wore it today to the gym and on a run. I tucked it in once and didn't have to bother with it again. And yes it dried in now time with out retaining any odor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shirt, October 14, 2011
M. Costello (Moonachie, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This is my #1 hiking shirt. Keeps me warm when it's cold, Keeps me cool when it's hot. During my 2011 AT thru-hike my first one was worn every day and lasted all the way to NJ or about 1000 miles, so I ordered a new one. Great shirt

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a base layer, not a tee shirt, September 28, 2013
I made the mistake of buying this as a tee shirt. My bad. It's so long, that it doesn't really work for that unless you like to tuck in your tee shirts, it which case it's fine. I'll just pivot to use it as it was promoted/intended. Also ladies, if you're looking for a mini-dress...

The neck tag that one person complained about has been replaced by silk-screening, so that's not an issue. There's no logo on the chest as another had mentioned. Minus33 approaches, but does not equal the comfort/quality of Icebreaker. The reduced comfort may have to do with the more muscular cut of the shirt hugging my skin, but also handling this and my icebreaker tee side-by-side, this feels slightly coarser.

If Icebreaker is out of your price range (and you don't mind Made in China vs. New Zealand), this is a good option.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-made, but tight, December 11, 2013
As a stand alone T, this shirt runs small and fits tight across the chest and shoulders. Not what was expected, certainly, as competing brands of the same material and size don't do this. However, it is well constructed, wears hard, and is easy to care for. If you don't mind the clinging, it wears well alone. Otherwise, order the next size up from what you normally would or make use of it as a sturdy base layer.

Minus33 Merino Wool Men's Algonquin Lightweight Short Sleeve Crew