Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life.
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon March 25, 2008
Of all of the reviews that I have written on this site, this one probably is the most difficult to write. Davich does a very good job of describing the basics of meditation. But how does one generalize about meditation?

For someone who wants to get started with meditation with minimal fuss, 8 Minute Meditation is the book to use. I think that 8 Minute Meditation is fairly typical of what the publishers are focusing on these days: it is short, to the point, and it uses an easy-to-read style that helps a lot. Shorter, easy books seem to the new norm in publishing.

Davich does a good job of anticipating questions that the reader will have & he provides sensible answers. Most of his advice - in the questions and throughout the book - focuses on the practical (and not the mystical) aspects of meditation.

One thing that does keep me from giving 8 Minute Meditation a higher rating is that I think that meditation is a difficult subject to generalize about. Each person's inner world differs & each person's reaction to meditation will likewise differ. Sometimes the "one-size-fits-all" advice Davich provides struck me as lacking in depth. I've noticed that a few other reviewers found the same thing; so, 8 Minute Meditation's greatest strength and weakness is its brevity.

Having said that, 8 Minute Meditation is the best introductory meditation guide that I have seen. It will get you started on your meditation right away.
55 comments| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2011
Considering its impressive endorsements, I was expecting something better. I'm only on Week 4, but have to admit that the feeling meditation in Week 3, and to a lesser extent the hearing one in Week 2, were difficult for me, and I did not get into a 'meditation zone' the way I was able to dip into for short periods with the Week 1 and Week 4 meditations. I think it would have been better to have solidly established breathing meditation before going on to the others, even if that meant 2 weeks on meditation 1, and six days for the remaining 7 meditation styles.
on August 6, 2014
I have mixed feelings about this book. It is one of the first books about meditation that I read, so I'm thankful for the introduction to meditation it provided me. Some phrases still stick with me as I practice meditation (such as "Allow what is"). However, this book is a very shallow introduction to meditation, specifically tailored to a Western audience. And the book itself acknowledges this. So I'm not knocking it for accomplishing what the author set out to do. The major thing that bothered me about the book is that it's about twice as long as it needs to be. There is a lot of repetition throughout (good for teaching at times, but much of it felt like filler), and there's the overarching feeling that I'm reading a long infomercial.

If you're not familiar with meditation, check this book out and use it as a launching pad. If you are familiar with meditation, skip this one, as there's not much information here that you won't already know.
on June 14, 2016
Effective, but quite dry
on June 30, 2014
This book is good to be used just as a manual for the exercise, if you already are persuaded by other books about the benefits of meditation. I have to confess I have not started yet so I cannot vouch for the accuracy or efficacy of the instructions.
on July 20, 2014
good to help you get an idea
on March 24, 2015