5.0 out of 5 stars There is a Better Way!
Published on April 12, 2000 by Sally Crosiar

3.0 out of 5 stars just as simple as it gets
a very easy book to remind you to be in the center of your life course, to all the ages and all the readers who are at the frist stage to their soul searching....
Published on April 17, 2009 by C. Lin

5.0 out of 5 stars There is a Better Way!, April 12, 2000
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
I use the concepts of One Minute for Myself - personally every day, and also professionally as I conduct self-care workshops and presentations. To take care of yourself FIRST so that you have the energy to care for others, makes ultimate sense, but too few of us allow ourselves this necessity. This parable gets through to people - One Minute seems reasonable, the questions are powerful, the payoff is evident! I'm so glad that Amazon carries this book because it's hard to find in stores!

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover your Self, January 7, 2000
Jay Finnigan (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
This book changed my life by helping me to no longer live dishonestly with myself. By taking a minute here and there for my "self," I met my "self" and learned just exactly what I want to do and how I want to live. I find freedom in every decision now, by letting go of those things I do not truly care for, and focussing only on the good. Now I am able to find the good in everything. More importantly I know a most important truth: I am who I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-Provoking and Straightforward, January 30, 2003
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
This book is the second I have read in the One Minute series. Once the reader grows accustomed to the parable presentation, the principles are much easier to grasp. The author in this volume interestingly defines selfishness as neglect of self.
There are three basic concepts promoted: take care of me, take care of others, and take care of the relationship I have with others. Johnson asserts that a person is most loving when his own needs have been adequately addressed. He feels that self-denial is destructive to ourselves and others, rather than helpful.
Jesus encourages us to "love others as we love ourselves." Based upon this admonition, there is a biblical basis for what the author is stating. Until we love ourselves and give attention to our own needs and desires, we are not truly free to love. Once we have taken "one minute" to look inward and assess our own needs, then we are much better equipped to relate to the persons around us.
This book is an easy read -- I finished it in one sitting. If you have been raised to think that self-denial is always good and self-indulgence is always bad, I encourage you to read this volume. For the price, the insights gained are well worth the money spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is where Magic happens!, March 17, 2008
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
I was drawn to this book because it looked light and simple, and the idea of taking one minute for myself seemed to be manageable even with my crazy schedule. Well, this book delivered a lot more than what I expected! It introduced to me the possibility of having a great life when I actually stop, look, and listen to myself; By simply asking "is there a better way to take care of myself right now?" I was often amazed that there actually were lots of choices! I didn't have to repeat whatever I mechanically did in the past that did not work for me (this seems obvious but I am amazed how often it happened unawaredly.) Cool stuff!

Spencer Johnson is a great story teller and he made my reading experience fun and effortless. This reminded me of two very cool books that I've come across; Being Here: Modern Day Tales of Enlightenment, and How To Create a Magical Relationship by Ariel and Shya Kane. The books are a collection of simple and profound moments in life, and I have come to learn from these beautiful stories that the current moment of life is where magic happens! We can take great care of ourselves and each other by taking an honest look of what's happening in each moment of now, and not judging what we see. Life has become a journey that's expanding and rewarding in a least expected way! The Kanes' books are so inspiring and I feel very fortunate to discover them and to share them with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy. Simple. On-Target, December 28, 2002
Jeff Jones (Decatur, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
Spencer Johnson's books are not profound but they can be life-changing. Sometimes people who can help the most cut through the clutter and verbiage we can get bogged down in and get to the heart of the matter. Johnson does this in his simple, narrative books and One Minute for Yourself is no different nor no less effective.
Can you imagine having 365 minutes to yourself a year? Can you imagine what you can do for yourself in sixty seconds of silence and peace? Most people don't or even believe that short of a time period can make a difference...but it's true. Johnson cuts through the garbage we pile on ourselves from self-help gurus and shows you how easy it can be.
Some days I take a minute for myself. Others, I dive into my work and stay immersed there. It's easy to look back and see my most effective days and my most overwhelming days. Taking a minute to reflect, to dream or just to relax makes a big difference in my daily effectiveness. As a matter of fact, I think I'll take one now...

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to read, September 23, 2005
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
Easy to read and follow. The chapters literally take just a minute to read. Be kind to yourself and get this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Common sense or Zen extra-light?, June 23, 2008
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
One Minute for Yourself presents a common sense, super-easy to follow recipe to re-connect with one self, friends, family, and all other people around us. It tells us the all-too-obvious: Take a minute here and there, pause, and just think about what you really need to be a little happier. The rest will in many cases follow by itself.

I call this Zen extra-light, as in Zen and other Eastern philosophies this "time-out" or meditation as it might then be called, is made a core practice to find oneself and unity with the world. May this be a light start for our hectic western world to reflect here and there and regain sight of what is important.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take care of yourself so you can take care of others, July 29, 2009
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
"One Minute For Yourself: A Simple Strategy For A Better Life" by Spencer Johnson will take more than a minute to read, but not much more, and it is time well spent. It is a short book of just over 100 pages, and a number of those pages only contain a quote. So yes, it is quite simple to read and won't take you long at all. However, the message Johnson shares in this little story is a very good one, and for those that act upon it, you will most likely notice the benefits from doing so.

The book was originally published in the 80s as "One Minute For Myself." In the 90s, it was released as "One Minute For Yourself." Now, nearly 20 years after the second edition was released and over 25 years since the original, this little book's message is still as relevant as it ever was. I know I enjoyed reading it, and it made me think about the times I forget to take care of myself and how that effects others around me.

The book is written in story format and it is about a man who goes to learn the secret to happiness from his uncle, a man who seemed to enjoy everything. Through conversations with his uncle and a few others, the man learns the importance of taking care of yourself so you can then be a better person and take care of others.

There are four parts of the lesson. Taking Care of Me, Taking Care of Thee, Taking Care of We, and The World Benefits. For the three most important lessons Taking Care of Me, Thee, and We, there are summary pages at the end of those chapters. These are nice to review the lessons contained in the story.

If you have a little time, reading "One Minute For Yourself" is a good use of it. Especially if it makes you stop and think, and then implement some "self" time into your life to reduce stress and enjoy living a bit more. Do this for yourself, and then share with others and maybe the last chapter is right, the world will benefit.

Reviewed by Alain Burrese, J.D., author of Hard-Won Wisdom From the School of Hard Knocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Minute for Yourself, May 20, 2009
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
This is a quick read book that provides simple ideas for taking care of yourself, one minute at a time. By taking care of yourself, you become a better person from the inside out and happy. As you improve, your attitude extends to those around you and after time, the social/work network are working together in positive ways.
The story is simple to read, telling the story of a man who goes talks to his uncle who is successful and well loved by everyone around him. The uncle, his wife, friends and employees all reflect how each were influenced by the uncle and expanded the internal happpiness to all around them.
This is an excellent book for someone who possesses a positive attitude or who is looking for a way to gain internal happiness, then share it with others.
An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will read it over and over!, February 7, 2014
Linda K (Spokane, wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Minute for Yourself (Paperback)
Everyone should take a minute for themselves and read this book.
Do yourself a favor. Even if you only read one minute at a time!

One Minute for Yourself
One Minute for Yourself by Spencer Johnson (Paperback - September 16, 1998)
$10.99 $7.42