4.0 out of 5 stars A personal breakthrough!
Published on September 15, 2005 by Carl A. Dixon

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't seem to help my condition
For me did not notice much improvement in the stated exercises but I have been dealing with back pain for 5 years.
Published 18 months ago by Cathy Rassel

4.0 out of 5 stars A personal breakthrough!, September 15, 2005
Carl A. Dixon (Bradenton, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3 Minutes to a Pain-Free Life: The Groundbreaking Program for Total Body Pain Prevention and Rapid Relief (Paperback)
I have lived with chronic pain for the last three years. I am old (58:) and very active physically. I have suffered pain that would normally be associated with having severe lower disk problems or maybe a pinched nerve - plus my low back muscles have been very painful. I work out carfully every day. I have had 4 MRI's in the last year plus a bone scane. I have seen a Neuro Surgeon, chiropracter(s), Orthopedic surgeon, family doctor, spinal surgeon and two physio thearapists. All of them have been helpful in some ways but no one can really help me or tell me what my problem is. My disks are fine and I have no pinched nerves. I purchased this book along with Framework. I read 3 Minutes 1st and started the exercises. I am completely pain free! I still find it hard to believe. It is over three weeks and I awake every morning wondering if my pain is back. I do the exercise for atheletes and have added a lower back exercise plus one for elbows. The total time is 4 1/2 minutes. I should mention I always warm up on my bike 1st so my muscles are able to accept any stretching. Plus the reading of FrameWork has helped in my weight workout. I have already recommended this to a friend and he is having similar results. The only reason I did not give it a 5 star report is that I believe he should have said more about warming up 1st and the book would be as good as FrameWork if he had added to the content to help those of us who are very athletically fit. But it is a great book and you will not regret purchasing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book made me a believer, June 9, 2005
Madeline Weinstein (Oakland, California) - See all my reviews
Seven months ago I experienced a very painful episode with my left knee. I was not aware of any causative event, but suddenly I could barely walk. I tried every treatment and product imaginable. I had an MRI, consulted two orthopedic surgeons, and briefly considered surgery as my only option. This was after spending hendreds of dollars on products (knee braces, heat and cold wraps, herbs, ointments, etc.), and trying acupuncture, physical therapy, massage, and a host of other therapies. I was unable to exercise, gained weight, and began scanning Modern Maturity magazine for walking aids! Then, my daughters gave me a copy of the book, "3 Minutes to a Pain-Free Life", and I started to do the six therapeutic movements outlined in the book. I've been doing them daily now for a month and I have regained considerable mobility. I was able to start an exercise program and I'm amazed that I can now walk and exercise without pain. I even had my back go out on me, and I immediately did the specific stretches the book recommended. By the second day I was able to stand tall and move without debilitating pain. Another bonus of the book is that it is a highly readable layman's text of Anatomy and Physiology. I learned a lot about my body in the process of healing it. I plan to buy this book for everyone I know who struggles with chronic pain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice despite the over-hyped title., August 24, 2006
Hardly a "revolutionary" program for those who have read anything about the muscular-skeletal structure of the human body, the interrelations of muscles and joints, and the importance of keeping the muscles stretched. But the author does offer an inviting, simple, and feasible set of six exercises which, if done religiously every day, 30 seconds per exercise, can prevent further abuses and damage (the title's apparent promise of restoration or a "cure" seems a bit exaggerated). Compared to the impossibly long list of tedious, often painful and exhausting exercises given me by my PT, Dr. Weisberg's program is cause for a sigh of relief.

Well over half of the book is devoted to anatomical discussions, motivational talk, and testimonials rather than the program itself. The heart of Dr. Weisberg's advice is the familiar "use it or lose it." The author practically demonizes the chair and the unnatural "C" shape that it encourages. The idea is to align the body to its natural center of gravity, producing the "S" curve. Anyone who finds it excruciating if not impossible to assume the squat position (maintaining balance on the heels is the challenge) or the split (only in my dreams) may be frustrated by the book's program of exercises. Still, anyone should benefit from these 6 exercises, even if some are not implemented to perfection (I'm structurally incapable of bending over and touching my toes--unless permitted to bend my knees).

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, May 18, 2006
Daisy "cbs" (Lafayette, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
My problem: hip bursitis and piriformis syndrome. I'm three days into the stretches that this book recommends. Already I've received more pain relief than I ever got from anything I tried before, including physical therapy, acupuncture and a cortisone injection. I'm very hopeful that I will soon be pain-free.

Update: five months later, my piriformis syndrome is very much under control. I'm back to working out on a stair-climber, back to long walks with the dog, back to being able to sleep w/o pain killers. I still get twinges of pain, and must continue the stretches, but I'm so much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learned a lot about my body, September 2, 2005
Fairlight Lucia (Las Cruces, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I appreciated the educational aspect of this book a lot. I learned a lot about the parts of my body (always wondered what the difference between a ligament and a tendon was). Also the chapter on the different classes of pain-killers was useful and I understand more fully how they work, possible side affects, and know now which one to choose. As for the program of stretching, I think it is great. My only wish for the book was for some info on obesity and how to work the exercises when you're just too heavy to do them correctly. I fudged and used some of the alternatives for "seniors" that worked, though. All and all, a very helpful book and I look forward to regaining my flexibility and reducing pain as I work the program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yoga practitioner uses this book, October 17, 2007
P.W. "reader" (Colorado and California) - See all my reviews
I've lived & used Yoga for decades. I've also taught modified classes for others with physical constraints. That's why I'll address those thoughts. Due to early trauma and how my body responds to same, I've had spinal fusions and more. I've used most healing modalities, worked with top pain clinics, used western and alternative treatments. Both worlds can hold many of us hostage. I stay active as able but have continued to live with severe chronic pain, all while being self supportive (I work) and practicing pro-active health care. I sceptically picked this book up off a shelf in a science museum. It came home w/me. Whether it's the order in which the simple moves are done, the consistency , the short time spent in each TMI, the tests along the way...it doesn't matter. What matters is that it has helped ease my pain. That's my bottom line. I've shared the book w/others who live with similar problems. They've each added to their own success rate. It's an worthwhile tool for the boxes of each who lives with disabling pain or wish to avoid entering that world. The angry Yoga practitioner writers may have missed a point that often long hours of even the healthiest moves can create discord. It's how any asana is used, and the time spent in same, that can add to or deplete our well being. Even herbs can harm if used incorrectly. My vote is....give it a try. These TMI's may be adapted by almost everyone.

P.W.

5.0 out of 5 stars effective for me, November 13, 2006
Yes, the routine is adapted from Yoga,and yes, they are basic yoga poses but put together in a certain order and done every day, they are very effective for the amount of time spent. I got rid of a pain in my shoulder I'd had for 2 years using one of the book's suggestions - it is completely gone after maybe a month of simple stretching, not even every day - that alone was worth the price of the book for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Base but Lots of Fluff, January 26, 2011
The first thing to know about reading 3 Minutes to a Pain-Free Life by Dr. Weisberg is that you are going to get to page 132 before you learn ANYTHING about those 3 minute exercises! That is a lot of slogging you have to do to get to the reason you bought the book.

The book discouraged me right from the beginning. The introduction talks about how just 100 years ago people did not practice preventative dental care. What?? I study history and even in medieval days they had tooth cleaners, mouthwashes, and tooth whiteners. Apparently the first toothbrush equivalent traces back to 3,000 BC and it may simply be that we can't find earlier ones because they've decayed.

The same introduction states that "the very notion of preventative care [for the musculoskeletal system] is nonexistent" right now. Again, what?? The six exercises presented in this book are pretty much exactly what I do in my yoga practice every day! The very things discussed in this book - the importance of synovial fluids, the flexing of joints - are things I find in every yoga book I read. This is hardly new stuff.

This introduction is by someone who says she's sedentary and in constant pain - but she's in "excellent health." Is there a serious disconnect here?

So to get all of this in the first two pages of the book is exceedingly disheartening. Then we move on into the main content.

Pain is an alarm system for your body. Sure, acute pain, like if you cut your finger, is something you can see the source of and know how to fix. However, with chronic pain, you don't know what's causing it. You don't know what to fix. So it goes on and on and you start to want to just drug out the pain. However, this will just make it worse! Whatever is really causing that pain is going to keep growing.

It's important to realize this pain is not caused by one action, like a slipped knife. It's the end result of a long buildup. You have to research and investigate what is causing that buildup and undo it. To use pain meds is like turning off a fire alarm when a fire is in your house. It lets the fire keep raging. You have to examine the alarm signal and figure out what it means.

Now the book goes into a furious hatred of chairs. You get far more pages about chairs and their evils than you could ever want to read. Was this necessary to fluff the book out to a given size? Was having a book of six pages - with the main exercises - just too light to make a book? You hear how cultures without chairs would all squat constantly which is good for your spine. Cultures with chairs would sit which damages the spine, creating a C shaped spine which hurts. Even sitting up straight still doesn't have your legs as "shock absorbers" beneath your rear, so you've lost that benefit.

Again, this made me start to question the content. I study medieval Japan and the screen paintings I've seen has everyone sitting on the floor. They don't have chairs - but they weren't all squatting all the time either! The chair fury seemed quite extreme.

There are also strange analogies like "every living thing is in motion ... cats scamper ..." - he's trying to tell us that we are too sedentary. However, cats tend to sleep at least 16 hours a day! I'd have avoided the cats example and focused on animals that are constantly in motion. For example, focus on sharks which have to stay in constant motion.

About this time I was yelling at the book, "get on with it already!!" I'd had enough of cats and chairs and the joys of squatting. I wanted to learn something useful.

On to a full chapter on anatomy. This is what bones are made of. That is what muscles are made of. Cartilage sits between your bones to cushion them, and synovial fluid helps to keep that lubricated. They need to flex fully each day to stay healthy. Similarly, muscles need to be stretched to their optimal length each day to retain their health. This needs to be done for at least 30 seconds to give them the healthy stretch. So here we have some glimmers of information!

Back to the bulk dump of information. The book explains why every single medicine, both man-made and natural, is bad in some way or another. Again the purpose is to push you to use his technique and to avoid medicines. He has certainly hammered that point home. We learn how different foods can damage our health. For example a diet of processed grain, flour, and sugar can increase arthritis symptoms.

Then the book says that stress has no impact on a well tuned body. If your body is healthy, stress has no effect on it. I found that suspect, but by now I was too deep into the book to turn back.

Finally! The six exercises! I was expecting something new, phenomenal, and extraordinary after all this buildup of "nobody has ever done this in the history of mankind." Then - pose 1 - child pose! The most basic pose of yoga! I do child pose every day. Heck, this is the Muslim prayer pose as well. Pose #2. I won't reveal it, because it seems a little unfair to reveal the key steps when he's trying to sell this book, but I'll say that it was no more "new" than pose #1. I do every single pose in his secret routine as part of my normal yoga routine, and we're not talking about stand-on-head-twist-your-legs types of poses.

Next, the book offers specialized exercises for specific pains. There's also modified exercises for seniors and kids and so on. It seems like they cover all the bases. However, interestingly, there isn't a good amount of information on the exercises. It's odd. I have a lot of exercise and yoga books that I've read. Usually if they tell you how to do a pose, they then follow it with a series of modifications - "if you can't do X, you can always do Y instead." However, here, you're just left on your own if you can't do what they say.

So for example, pose #3 is "Lizard". It involves laying on your stomach and pressing your torso up with your hands until your arms are straight. You get descriptions of what body areas this exercise helps. You get the straightforward instructions. "Your elbows are straight." Then you go into a long description about how wonderful this pose is for you. But wait!! What if I can't get my elbows to be straight? There's no guidance. Should I keep my lower stomach on the ground and allow the elbows to bend? Should I make sure the elbows are straight and not worry for now about my stomach staying on the ground? I'm completely on my own. The book has 50 pages on the evil of chairs but the information on the actual exercise - the key purpose of the book - is sparse.

Then we get into the summary area - and now the book says that stress DOES cause issues for your body and that you should work to reduce stress. I knew that before, and it contradicts the "stress isn't really a problem" message from earlier in the book.

So, with all these issues, why would I give the book four stars? The key is that I do these exercises already as part of my daily routine. I believe in them. I've read tons of yoga books. I understand why rotating joints and keeping synovial fluid on the cartilage is key. My yoga teacher mentions synovial fluid regularly in our classes. So I absolutely believe in the message in the book. I'm just grumpy with the off-putting introduction, the PAGES AND PAGES of fluff, and the lack of full instruction for the exercises. Luckily since I have numerous yoga books, I was able to fill in the gaps myself.

Since this book is aimed towards an audience who wants a quick, easy solution, I think the book could be much better laid out to make the information quick and easy to read. Skip the chair diatribes. Skip the anatomy lesson. Explain about joints, synovial fluids, and then show the exercises in FAR more detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 18, 2007
I am a 60 year old woman with Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis. I have been in chronic pain for 13 or so years. I've tried everything...chiropractic, massage, acupunture, pain medication, chinese herbs, hypnosis, magnet therapy, myotherapy and much more. I came across this book in the library and I was skeptical but interested in what the Doctor had to say. Well, I implemented his program (I figured I could do anything for 3 minutes) and although I had a hard time getting into 2 of the therapuetic movements, after about 3 weeks I am starting to notice a difference. I am so amazed. I still have pain but it's getting better all the time and I am able to move my joints and muscles better. I am very optimistic that this program will eventually get me pain free. Thank you Dr. Wesiberg.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of hope, November 18, 2006
Do you think because you exercise you're less likely to get injured?

Wrong - you're MORE likely to hurt yourself.

Do you think lifting weights or taking an aerobics class "is the same thing as tending to the biologocal needs of your muscles and joints"?(quote from Dr. W).

If you're like me and my 40 something friends with joint pain you may have found this is not true either.

This book is upbeat. One book I read says "back pain is the price we pay for walking on two legs". Dr. W insists we are not defective by design. In fact our back is perfectly designed. We just neglect to maintain it. Did you know our muscoloskeletal system is made to last for 120 years? This book gives hope in what can be a hopeless world.

His "3 month tuneup" will clearly show you your problem areas.

His "Encyclopedia of Pain Relief" gives simple TM's (therapeutic movements) which only take a minute or two to do and effectively target exactly what your problem is.

Dr. W explains how chronic pain is from tissue being irritating not damaged (as in acute pain) and is a result of microtraumas which slowly build up over years of misuse or neglect. Then one day, our shoulder goes out. Well it didn't go out in one day. It's been building up for years.

As a dancer with experience in NYC, full splits, hand stand pushups, pistols, 25+ chinups, blah, blah; I can say this book ferreted out problems and gave simple exercises for my shoulder, feet and back problems.

Don't expect this book to fix a bad back but it's a start.

I recommend Dr. DeNubile's "Framework", Pavel Tsatsoline's "Beyond Stretching", and "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue but none are as simple and easy to follow as this book.

$16.00 $12.24