Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Color: Manor Oak|Change

I'm a long time user of oil based WoodSheen and have discovered that it is being phased out. At local stores only the water based formula is available, and even that is becoming scarce.

Reluctantly I bought several containers of water based WoodSheen to try it out.
The biggest improvement, and perhaps the only one from my point of view is the drastic decrease in odor and fumes. I just finished finishing a large, heavy table with Manor Oak WoodSheen and could barely smell anything, even when leaving the house and coming back in.

The color and shine resulting don't quite match what I've achieved with the oil based product. On my recent piece, after two heavy coats the color is uneven in spots, as is the shine. After a third coat and a coat of oil based clear finish, the table looks pretty good.
Though this product is probably more benign and better for indoor air quality than the older oil formula, I still prefer the oil based product that is no longer an option.
on November 20, 2012
This new water-based stain is an unacceptable replacement for Minwax's previous oil-based product. The old (discontinued?) "Wood-sheen Rubbing Oil and Stain" was nothing short of a miracle product. Fool-proof application, rich color, flawless finish. The new water-based product is like smearing melted chocolate on wood: it dries before sinking in, causing thick buildup and blotchy color. The finish/shine is also uneven. I will never purchase this product again. Minwax: please bring back the rubbing oil and finish.
on October 26, 2014
Please bring back the old wood-sheen rubbing oil stain an finish. I have a 100 year old house, with tongue and groove oak boards, and I used the old rubbing oil stain (Windsor Oak) on that porch for years. It had been waxed for years and this was the only product I found that it did not gum when it was applied over the old wax, covered up all the scratches, weathered the snow and rain and all it needed in the spring was a touch up. I am at a loss as to what to do with my porch now. I do not want to sand it and take off all the petina. I beg of you to please, please bring back of the old MINWAX WOOD-SHEEN RUBBING OIL STAIN AND FINISH. Thanking you in advance for your understanding of what this means to me and to others.
on March 31, 2014
Yep, as other reviews have stated... It's not a great product. I am refinishing doors in my 1919 craftsman colonial and the previous oil based product gave gorgeous color and finish... This looks almost like a paint, is not a true rosewood color and streaks. Sadly I only had about 4 doors to finish. I'd suggest looking elsewhere for a better product.
on March 9, 2016
This is a fairly good product, although, because it is water based it raises the grain of the wood pretty bad, Sanding after application is a must. The last time I bought it it was oil based and was a bit richer in color. this one is a bit orange. It works though and seems to be a good product. cleanup is a million times easier than the oil based version was.
on December 31, 2010
I am very unhappy with the water based product. I had begun a remodeling project with the oil based, Windsor Oak Wood-Sheen. In the middle of the project, Minwax switched to the water based product. It does not match the color or sheen or the oil based product, it streaks and does not spread well at all. The finish is blotchy due to no work time, the material is sucked into the wood instantly even with an application of a pre-stain sealer. I have resorted to going to a specialist to get an oil based product mixed up to use. I would not recommend this product to the serious wood worker that expect a quality product.
on September 29, 2011
I am very happy with the quick service and delivery of my purchase of the Minwax Wood Sheen Finish. But to my dismay, Minwax has changed their Oil Based Wood Sheen to a Water Based finish. I had been using the Oil Based Wood Sheen by Minwax on a regular basis for many years. It was a superb finish, and actually one of the best finishes on the market. But now Minwax has changed the formula and made it into a Water Based product. By doing this they have completely ruined an excellent finish. The new formula does not apply well, and the finish comes out looking like mud. The colors of their new finishes are unnatural. It dries too quickly and leaves many streaks. I will no longer buy any products from Minwax. It is a shame they ruined a good product by changing their formula. I would not recommend this product to anyone. I hope they change the formula back to the original Oil Base finish!!
on April 1, 2010
When I ordered this product I though that I would receive a product that was the same as the one I had purchased at a local dealer,but to my surprise I was wrong. The product I originally purchase was Rosewood sheen oil stain, the one I have now is Rosewood sheen stain (Water based). I beleive that is the problem. The original was a deep purple and had a gloss finish when dry, the current product is brown with a dull finish.They do not compare and was very disappointed. Is there still a product like the first one???
on December 24, 2015
Very hard to apply evenly. Thought it was a good idea, but I won't go with this type of stain again. Minwax makes excellent stains, but this product made streaks of darker and lighter stained areas. I used it on 2 oak doors, and watched the stain soak into the softer grain areas, but not into the denser. I went to the canned liquid stain for the last 2 doors, and they look much better.
Warning! If you use this product, be sure to wipe up any drips that spatter onto your surface, or those spots will be darker and there's nothing that you can do to change that. Wipe them immediately! Or you will have a poke a dotted surface.
on July 24, 2013
Pretty disappointed. When other reviewers who were familiar with the oil based version panned it, I should have avoided it. I bought it because I use the original oil based version to touch up the walnut stained trim in our house and it has always been excellent in that capacity, gliding on and rubbing smooth until all you are left with is a nice sheen that dries in a few hours. The water based stuff has more friction, so the rag "sticks" as you rub and I don't find that it hides as well. I even preferred the oil base odor of the old stuff. The only thing the water based version does better is clean up, but then again, with a rubbing application where you are using junk rags to apply it, that really isn't much of a plus, is it?

To Minwax: for this customer, the oil based version was 5 stars, the water based version is 2 at best.