4.0 out of 5 stars Less Odor But....
I'm a long time user of oil based WoodSheen and have discovered that it is being phased out. At local stores only the water based formula is available, and even that is becoming scarce.

Reluctantly I bought several containers of water based WoodSheen to try it out.
Published on October 18, 2010 by Spudman

1.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable Performance
Published on November 20, 2012 by Deb

4.0 out of 5 stars Less Odor But...., October 18, 2010
Spudman (Pasadena, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Minwax 30414 12-Ounce Water Based WoodSheen Wood Stain, Manor Oak (Tools & Home Improvement)

Reluctantly I bought several containers of water based WoodSheen to try it out.
The biggest improvement, and perhaps the only one from my point of view is the drastic decrease in odor and fumes. I just finished finishing a large, heavy table with Manor Oak WoodSheen and could barely smell anything, even when leaving the house and coming back in.

The color and shine resulting don't quite match what I've achieved with the oil based product. On my recent piece, after two heavy coats the color is uneven in spots, as is the shine. After a third coat and a coat of oil based clear finish, the table looks pretty good.
Though this product is probably more benign and better for indoor air quality than the older oil formula, I still prefer the oil based product that is no longer an option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable Performance, November 20, 2012
Deb (California) - See all my reviews
This new water-based stain is an unacceptable replacement for Minwax's previous oil-based product. The old (discontinued?) "Wood-sheen Rubbing Oil and Stain" was nothing short of a miracle product. Fool-proof application, rich color, flawless finish. The new water-based product is like smearing melted chocolate on wood: it dries before sinking in, causing thick buildup and blotchy color. The finish/shine is also uneven. I will never purchase this product again. Minwax: please bring back the rubbing oil and finish.

1.0 out of 5 stars not a replacement for the oil based, December 31, 2010
I am very unhappy with the water based product. I had begun a remodeling project with the oil based, Windsor Oak Wood-Sheen. In the middle of the project, Minwax switched to the water based product. It does not match the color or sheen or the oil based product, it streaks and does not spread well at all. The finish is blotchy due to no work time, the material is sucked into the wood instantly even with an application of a pre-stain sealer. I have resorted to going to a specialist to get an oil based product mixed up to use. I would not recommend this product to the serious wood worker that expect a quality product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid New Waterbase Minwax Wood Sheen, September 29, 2011
I am very happy with the quick service and delivery of my purchase of the Minwax Wood Sheen Finish. But to my dismay, Minwax has changed their Oil Based Wood Sheen to a Water Based finish. I had been using the Oil Based Wood Sheen by Minwax on a regular basis for many years. It was a superb finish, and actually one of the best finishes on the market. But now Minwax has changed the formula and made it into a Water Based product. By doing this they have completely ruined an excellent finish. The new formula does not apply well, and the finish comes out looking like mud. The colors of their new finishes are unnatural. It dries too quickly and leaves many streaks. I will no longer buy any products from Minwax. It is a shame they ruined a good product by changing their formula. I would not recommend this product to anyone. I hope they change the formula back to the original Oil Base finish!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, April 1, 2010
When I ordered this product I though that I would receive a product that was the same as the one I had purchased at a local dealer,but to my surprise I was wrong. The product I originally purchase was Rosewood sheen oil stain, the one I have now is Rosewood sheen stain (Water based). I beleive that is the problem. The original was a deep purple and had a gloss finish when dry, the current product is brown with a dull finish.They do not compare and was very disappointed. Is there still a product like the first one???

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use ... good results, December 19, 2011
I used this to stain some pine for a cigar box guitar. So, I was not finishing fine furniture. For what I was doing, I was quite happy with the results. I like the bottle which has a small hole enabling easy application to a staining rag.

It provided an even stain. I used two coats. I would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's a lot to be said for no lingering smells!, September 20, 2010
John Roh (Salt Lake City, USA) - See all my reviews
I've used a lot of products over the years - and I'm really pleased with this one for the application I used it for; staining rough sawn beams and a mahogany door. I'm very hessitant to stain roughsawn wood indoors due to how long the stink can linger in someones home... but not any more, I've found what I've been missing all these years - I'll definitely be using it again and again the the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uh, used to be a great product, March 31, 2014
Yep, as other reviews have stated... It's not a great product. I am refinishing doors in my 1919 craftsman colonial and the previous oil based product gave gorgeous color and finish... This looks almost like a paint, is not a true rosewood color and streaks. Sadly I only had about 4 doors to finish. I'd suggest looking elsewhere for a better product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, September 27, 2012
This stain Is the best for any wood staining. It has a nice sheen, dries fast and no odor. I've used every stain there is, and this makes less mess, has a better color on raw or refinished wood. I've done floors, trim, benches and outdoor furnature with it. The stores stopped carrying it. I'm glad I found it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff to work with., July 20, 2010
This is a new item from Minwax and it is definitely worth the money. Easy water clean up, etc. This seller offers many colors which is great, however what they don't tell you is that they will only sell you a six pack. Unless you're doing a whole lot of staining, a six pack will last you a lifetime. I only wanted two bottles and they would not break up the six pack. Also you have to email them to find out what colors they have so do your research ahead of time.