5.0 out of 5 stars Miquon + Cuisenaire Rods - A Way to REALLY Understand Math!
Published on July 28, 2000 by Amazon Customer

Published on July 13, 2008 by GenXMom

5.0 out of 5 stars Miquon + Cuisenaire Rods - A Way to REALLY Understand Math!, July 28, 2000
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
Miquon + Cuisenaire Rods = a wonderful way to learn -- and REALLY comprehend -- mathematics! I'm a homeschool mom, and my son used the Miquon Math Student Workbooks (consumable) along with the necessary Cuisenaire Rods to discover math in an enjoyable, stress-free, hand-on "Mathematics Lab"-style way. [Another veteran homeschooling mom recommended Miquon to ME:)]
I can't imagine a better way to discover the patterns, concepts, and simplicity of mathematics. I highly recommend the Cuisenaire Rods, Miquon Student Workbooks, and the Miquon Teachers Manual: Lab Sheet Annotations. Your student will be introduced to such concepts as multiplication, division, fractions, and factors in the FIRST grade -- all while "experimenting" (playing) with their Cuisenaire rods!
NOTES: Cuisenaire Rods are a MUST to use along with the Student Workbook. I also highly recommend the Miquon Teachers Manual: Lab Sheet Annotations -- also sold here at Amazon. The Annotations book is filled with lots of suggestions, games, ideas, and more -- which really EXPAND on the Student Workbook and make the Miquon system the "Lab Experience" that it is meant to be.
Miquon Student Workbooks:
Orange Book - 1st Grade -- Offered here...; Red Book - 1st Grade; Blue Book - 2nd Grade; Green Book - 2nd Grade; Yellow Book - 3rd Grade; Purple Book - 3rd Grade

5.0 out of 5 stars The best homeschoolers "first math" around, September 14, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
Using a hands on manipulative method of teaching math using cuisanare rods instead of dry, rote memorization makes this math the most fun for kids, even for those who "hate" math. It is colorful, and lets kids find for themselves the basic relationships and principles of math. Using the 6 books in the system, ( two books a year for three years) by the end of the third grade(sixth book), your child will be doing simple algebra without even knowing it. I love this system, and all of the other math materials from Key Curriculum. Just be sure to buy the cuisenare rods to go with the system. I homeschooled my kids on this system, then moved right into saxon math series. It is the only math system I would ever use in the primary grades.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for teaching Math, March 16, 2002
Laura Brown McKenzie (On a mountain in AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
As my first son went through this book, I was amazed at how even in the 1st grade, this series was preparing him for higher mathematics in highschool. Six years later, my son breezed through variables and equations. Now my middle son is breezing through algebra as well and my youngest is finishing the Miquon Orange Book. I can't help but think that if these books had been used by my former algebra and geometry students then they would have not had to struggle with abstract concepts such as balancing equations and using variables. The Miquon books are all WONDERFUL! The Cuisenaire rods ARE a must. They are what ties the abstract ideas to the concrete math. Since I use Cuisenaire rods through 8th grade, they are well worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you order this, order First Grade Diary & Lab Annotations Book too!, July 13, 2008
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
I bought this book a long with "First Grade Diary" and the "Lab Sheet Annotations". Honestly I don't see how anyone could make much use of the student workbook without having also both the other 2 books. You need the lab sheet annotations because the student workbooks don't have any instructions at all - their use is not self-explanatory either. However you need the Diary book because the lab annotations don't go into how to actually teach math to children. When you read the Diary book you can see that this method is more than just worksheets, it involves a lot of student/teacher interaction when teaching new concepts. If you are considering Miquon for the first time, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $7 to add the First grade diary book onto your order for the Orange student workbook and Lab annotations book - I would have found Miquon useless without having the Diary as a valuable teaching resource.

Workbook Review: Paper quality was good. Pages are only black & white. The graphics have not improved or changed from the 1970's "ditto" style. There are no instructions so a child can not complete any worksheets unless the parent/teacher provides instructions. If your child needs color or nice graphics to keep them interested you'll probably need to supplement the worksheets with one of the many colorful math workbooks available now in bookstores.

Honestly I'm not so impressed with the Orange workbook but I am impressed with the overall Miquon math teaching method. I've gotten some great ideas on how to help teach my children math.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using to teach 4-year-old math, October 21, 2010
C. L. Lewis (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
When it came time to think about helping my 4-year-old prepare for kindergarten, I thought back to my own kindergarten experiences and what I enjoyed. Two math related things came to mind: rubberbands on a pegboard and cuisinaire rods. When I searched for cuisinaire rods on Amazon, I found the Miquon curriculum, as well. I read all the reviews and did some more research into other math programs, but decided this was the one I wanted.

Since it arrived last month, we've been sitting down about twice a week with the Orange Book and Cuisinaire rods, learning how to add and sequence. This week, we've started to learn subtraction. The visual aspect of the rods makes the concepts easy to grasp and my son is able to figure the math out on his own, once he's given direction. What I really like about the Miquon method is even after a worksheet has been completed, there are suggestions of other activities you can do with the worksheet. I think these added activities make the learning experience richer. The added bonus is my son and I are having a fun time together learning something new.

I agree with the other reviewers. Don't skimp and just buy the Orange Book. You need the three teaching guides to go with it. I went to the Miquon website and purchased the entire set (three instructional books, 6 lesson books and a set of cuisinaire rods) for approximately $90 (with shipping). I would have purchased it on Amazon, but couldn't find the entire set being sold with Amazon Prime shipping. It cost me less to go to the Miquon publishing site.

I disagree with the reviewer that gave this product three stars, because it is printed in black and white. The cuisinaire rods are brightly colored and they are covering the black and white pages while the computations are being done. In my opinion, colored pages would detract from the rods - which are kind of the main point of this learning method.

Bottom line: This method is time intensive and requires parental involvement. However, for about $90 you get three years of curriculum. It also makes mathematical concepts so easy, even a four-year-old can do first grade math.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Homeschool Instruction. Top Drawer!, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
I just spent a day yesterday, researching about a dozen of the common Math Instruction Programs on the market, and Miquon I found to be just unbeatable.

I must admit, that it is not the virtual Encyclopedic Math Program that Saxon Math is; but for a fraction of the cost, Miquon is so much more affordable.

I would add, that the great difficulty for any parent practicing Home or Private Instruction, is the scenario where one feels pressured to Reinvent---The--Mathematical---Wheel, and single-handedly master Math, and designed an entire program for one's Children. Miquon has already done that for you.

"Miquon Math Lab Materials" consists of several teacher's Notes and Manual, to outline teaching possibilities, but basically, the materias for the Students consists of a Series of Six Books.

(1) is Orange (2) is Red (3) is Blue (4) is Green (5) is Yellow (6) is Purple.
The books are very large print, almost like coloring book lettering, and its in different colors, which is pleasing for children.

Then the teacher's books are "Notes to Teachers" and "Lab Sheet Annotations" and "First Grade Diary".

What needs to be bought "extra" are called "CUISINAIRE RODS". These are little square sided wooden Rods in various lenghts like a "1-unit" (A complete Square) a "two-unit" (Twice as Long) and longer lengths for math comparison.

So what you have are "manipulative" or "hands-on" tools for kids, so they can see that the
5 rod + a 2 rod = a 7 rod and so on and so forth.

This is one of the best ways to teach mathematics.

This is wonderful curriculum, and I can wholeheartedly endorse it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Excellent, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
I bought this to help me educate my two boys. I am also using Comprehensive Cirriculum books, Spectrum, Kumon, manipulatives, and a bunch of my own ideas. I wasn't sure where this Orange book would begin. Since I received it and looked through the lessons, it appears a little advanced for my oldest boy who is 4 3/4 but normally does fine with Kingergarten level cirricula. It's important for me and him that the learning is not rushed because I want him to love learning more than I want him to learn any particular thing, and what he does learn, I want him to understand and not merely meet some institutionally established criteria. He loves numbers and I believe if I avoid premature abstraction, he will stay turned-on to math and not disassociate. This book appears to involve the use of manipulatives and also asks the student to create some of their own problems. I saw exercises in it where the student is challenged by problems inside and out. For example, a group of 10 items is shown with 3 circled. The student is expected to understand that 3+7=10, 7+3=10, 10-3=7 and 10-7=3. Not only are they expected to know the solutions to the equations, but to be able to determine what the equations are based on the picture. As it is, my boy would be keen on this if it were done exclusively with jelly beans and lego, but worksheets would kill it, so this book will be for me to get ideas from for about another year. My younger boy, just turned 4, is less sensitive to teacher's ineptitude and dearth of pedagogical prowess. He would actually consider 30 minutes of workbook torture to be but light affliction. Still, I'll spare him. This book would be fine for some 1st graders, but I would start with many things less abstract before a child gets to the level of this workbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Miquon Math, October 2, 2010
Emmy R. (Tampa, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
I researched various math programs and finally came across the Miquon. I have a five-year home schooler that is a quick learner and was looking for something to pique her curiosity as well as challenge her. The Miquon has done exactly that. In the beginning of the book, she kept saying how easy everything was; that is, until she actually had to slow down and process what she was learning. I purchased the Lab Annotations along with the Diary and they have been very helpful..can't imagine trying to figure out how to use this program without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Math Training, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
This is a great book for learnning math, just make sure you get the lab sheet annotations and first grade diary along with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 (Paperback)
This is a great lesson book for teaching concepts. I use this in addition to my 1st grade math curriculum. I call it fun math to my 6 year old daughter. Be sure and order the annotations with it. I definitely needed further instruction.

Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1
Miquon Math Lab Materials: Orange Book Level 1 by Lore Rasmussen (Paperback - Sept. 1977)
Used & New from: $5.00