4.0 out of 5 stars to help take care of gnat problem
Before you pot your plant take the amount of soil you need and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. This will take care of any gnats or larva that are currently in the soil. I have used this method and have remained gnat free.
Published on June 6, 2009 by Corey Willie

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened!!??
Published on April 25, 2011 by scooter

4.0 out of 5 stars to help take care of gnat problem, June 6, 2009
This review is from: Miracle-Gro 76286300 Potting Mix Bag, 16 Quart (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ingredients, bugs are common, February 9, 2009
I have purchased other potting mixes and been horrified to find bits of chewing gum, crushed tin cans, etc in them. I've never had this happen with Miracle Gro. Miracle Gro makes a good mix, at a decent ratio, which is great for growing most standard houseplants and excellent for growing from seed.

As for the gnats: Fungus Gnats can be found anywhere there is rot. Don't clean your sink for a week - see those bugs? Same thing. They eat rot. They cannot live in dry soil. THE BEST PREVENTION for fungus gnats is to water with either a drip-irrigation system (plastic tubing with holes in it, hidden beneath the soil surface) or water bottom-up (water the dish under the plant, and let the soil soak the water upwards).

The fastest and most common way to become infested is to overwater your plants. I did this one year - we had them everywhere, in all our food, on the walls, and it was disgusting. If you already have an infestation, try lowering the frequency of your waterings - your plants won't get dehydrated from a little less if the gnats have been happy with what they've had. Let the soil top dry completely before you water - gnats and their young live near the top, in damp soil.

Yes, I've seen more gnats with this than other soils. However, that could easily have been because the batch I had had been kept more damp in the store than the other stuff. Water less, you'll have fewer gnats. Get Scott's and be prepared to be disappointed (that's the brand I found the crushed tin-can pieces and gum in).

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened!!??, April 25, 2011
I've always bought Miracle Grow, it WAS good. The last 2 years it' has really gone downhill fast. I've tried their potting mix, African violet soil and the worst of all, Moisture Control. I also get gnats flying all around my house. The soil is so bad! I have found every thing from sticks to rocks in the soil. And when watering plants, the water just sits there on top. The soil doesn't soak up the water. The African voilet soil also does not retain water, shoots right through to the tray and then won't soak it back up into the pot, the water just sits there. The Moisture Control soil is a nightmare! I've had plants actually rot at the roots, and I didn't water them for over 2 weeks! My plants have never looked so sickly. My husband laughingly looked at it the soil and asked me if I were planting my flowers in peat moss? I didn't laugh. The soil I bought just this weekend for outdoor pots, smelled horrible! I had to keep the windows open during the trip home. I've also opened bags of soil that had mold in it! This company needs to change, change back to what they were previously 'cause I for one am going to look for a different brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars GNATS!!!!!!, July 22, 2007
J. Henry (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
Do not buy this! We repotted most of our plants with the soil and the one's with the soil are full of gnats. The one's that we didn't use it on don't have any. The potting soil has caused gnats to get everywhere in our house. I almost bit into a snadwich today with a gnat right where I was about to take a bite. They've been found in other food, drinks, dive bombing peoples heads and everywhere in between. So, unless you really like gnats, I would suggest another brand and DEFINITELY NOT this one!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Gnats Everywhere, December 10, 2007
I also purchased this potting soil and repotted all the plants in my home. Now I have gnats everywhere. I thought this was the best potting soil and paid more for it only to end up with gnats. Hundreds of them. I wish I had read the previous post before. Do not buy this product. Now it will cost me double to buy another brand and the work of repotting about 40 plants.

1.0 out of 5 stars Compost not potting mix, April 11, 2009
I keep buying a bag every year to see if they have changed their methods of production but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for". This used to be a great product but starting a couple years ago they stopped screening it. It is now at least a quarter woody material, 1/4-3inch pieces. This would actually be great for mulching trees and shrubs if it weren't way to expensive for that purpose. Spend the money, buy pro-mix and save yourself a lot of time and problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thousands of little bugs FREE with every bag!, August 17, 2009
We repotted about a dozen houseplants a month ago with Miracal Gro potting soil. I've sprayed the soil with indoor insecticide and these little bugs just look up at me a laugh. Insecticidal soap doesn't faze them either. Let's see... Miracle Gro is a division of Ortho and Ortho sells bug spray. Conspiracy theories anyone?

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it from home depot (mix is great!), May 21, 2011
Latest Edit
===========
The mix is great, but, get it from Home Depot, its 10X cheaper.

===========
NOTE: The rest of this review is about the price.

I am a beginner gardener. And as usual without shopping much I got this mix a couple of days ago 'cause I thought Amazon beats everyone's price. Not in this case. The quantity of the mix in this bag is puny, as on the bag it filled 2 8" pots. So, I decided to stop-by the home depot. Guess what, you can get a bag 10 times this size for $9.98! So, stop-by home depot and grab one. Dont get ripped off here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bugs, grass, and plants!, August 26, 2009
I've been using this for the past few years, but this year, I've not only found the bugs, but I actually have a WEED that grew and punctured through the bag! I kept wondering where all the weeds were coming from in my planter boxes, and now I know!

1.0 out of 5 stars yup gnats - lots of them...., April 18, 2008
I bought this potting mix a few months ago and about a month ago I started seeing the gnats, which have been increasing daily. My plants are indoors so I was wondering where they came from. Yesterday I opened up the potting soil bag to repot a plant and found the inside of the bag crawling with the bugs. Maybe it was just a bad batch but I would suggest trying a different brand of potting mix to be sure.

Miracle-Gro 76286300 Potting Mix Bag, 16 Quart (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
$9.99 $8.92
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.