Updated: 12-10-13
My stance on this product still rests in the "not needed" category via you can still grow (in our case) great herbs (ex// basil, thyme, dill, etc) without it; however, recently we have noticed a few pros this product can offers.

Published 11 months ago by John F.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just use mylar, or even aluminum foil
Everything from Aerogarden is way overpriced. This is a sheet of mylar with slits every inch or so (for ventilation), and it's attached to your AG with double sided tape. Go to the dollar store and buy a few mylar balloons and a roll of clear tape and you're in business.
Published 18 months ago by MonroeMomma

2.0 out of 5 stars Just use mylar, or even aluminum foil, February 11, 2013
MonroeMomma (Monroe, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Power-Grow Light Boosters (Lawn & Patio)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but over priced., June 20, 2012
The product works great how ever I do believe it is way over priced. I can get a 10ft. Roll of Mylar reflective material for approximately $10 at my local hydroponic supply house.

2.0 out of 5 stars not needed, January 14, 2013
honestly I have several Aero Gardens as I can't grow outside anymore - just too hard on the knees and I saw no difference in the growing of the ones with and without.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really whatbi expected, July 18, 2013
I really was disappointed when this item came. I was expecting something a little more than reflective tape that pealed and stuck on the aero garden. You would be better off using aluminum foil.

3.0 out of 5 stars Umm yeah, May 31, 2013
These aren't worth the price you pay. Its just cut up reflective balloon material. I also find that it restricts how wide the plants can grow. I don't have a side by side comparison to see if they actually aid in the growing process. If they do I'm sure its a small difference. They also get in the way and can be annoying when your trying to harvest your leaves. Save your money, the aerogarden will grow fine plants without them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Little value, February 10, 2014
Although it does work, it is too expensive for what it is, a piece of reflective Mylar. The same results can be obtained using aluminium foil or a mirror or a piece of reflective Mylar. Of course I should have considered that before buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Needed (Updated) - Perhaps More Useful After-All (Certain Plant Growth and Surrounding Lighting Pros), September 30, 2013
Updated: 12-10-13

First off, and I don't understand why, but this product seems to work better after each harvest of the herbs, potentially aiding in further leaf development. This is only based on 2 different planting sessions and a total of 12 harvesting sessions thus far, so please take that into consideration since that warrants no conclusive outcome. However, there is a noticeable difference in some of the herbs when utilizing it. Such herbs include Dill, Basil (multiple types), and Mint. In addition, the difference did not take place upon the seedling early growth stage, but rather after they were at least 5-6 inches tall and more so directly after the first and following harvests (regrowth occurred faster with it for some reason). That being said, we noticed the Oregano, Thyme, and Rosemary did worse with this product, having a wilting effect that disappeared a few days after removing it (during first planting experiment). With that considered, it seems, at least in our "few tests," that it works best with larger/taller plants and with plants with potentially broader leafs. As mentioned, these are just our findings thus far, and I can't promise it will be the same for you. In either case, you can still grow great plants in the Aerogarden without this product and I am sure you could utilize other products in place of this. I will also state if you are thinking of taking this product on and off of your Aerogarden as we do, the sticky mounting surface will lose its adhesive quality over time and tape will sooner of later be needed to hold it in place unless you are willing to buy multiples of this product (but lets face it, that is not going to happen).

Second off, my wife and I had to move our Aerogarden (when plants grew and caused the light extension to reach our kitchen cabinet level) to our kitchen island facing towards the refrigerator and away from out living room (open floor plan). As a result, sometimes the light from the Areogarden is quite too obtrusive/annoying when gathering in the dimmed living room to enjoy a movie. Granted, not everyone will have an open floor plan like us, but I can say if the Aerogarden light is on, it makes watching TV or a movie difficult. In addition, we just set-up a Christmas tree and with the Aerogarden on, it takes away a lot of the twinkling whimsical quality your come to expect in a tree for the holidays. Therefore, we are now utilizing this product to also block a majority of the light into the living room while directing it more into the kitchen. This product still allows some light through, especially at the open edges. However, we added a little scotch tape on the open edges (above and on the slits) to make the different sheets curve and blend perfectly for our needs. As mentioned, even with this addition, the product still allows some mild light trough, but it is tinted significantly from behind while the interior is reflective for the plants. With that taken into consideration this product is more useful for our particular living situation than we initially thought, but it might not be best for everyone. This is why I have increased our star rating from 3 to 4. I hope this review helps.

Original Comment:
For my wife's purposes, this item was not needed. We placed the Aerogarden near a white wall and the plants are growing great. I am sure this additional product does aid in light fixation on the plants themselves, but it is definitely not a necessity. I have heard aluminum foil works just as well and after seeing the product, it seems very comparable but for a significantly reduced cost. All I can say is this product might be great for people with darker surroundings/walls, but if you have a white painted wall or something that is easily light reflective, it will be fine without it. We are giving it only 3 stars because we didn't need it and it is kind of expensive (other items might work just as good for a cheaper cost). Once again, this product might be great for someone else, but for us, it is a 3 star rating. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10, 2014
Keeps light concealed for faster growth of your plants.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 9, 2014
Not anything special

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, June 26, 2014
B. Sounthonevichith (Antioch, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
I have the aerogarden ultra and use it to plant various plants to grow outside. It works great and you can definitely tell which plants came from the aerogarden. Now to this slightly expensive thingy. I didn't really see the need for it until I started planting strawberries as they're picky and hard to grow. The plants in the middle would grow great but the ones on the outsides would start to grow and die or doesn't grow at all. This little Mylar thing keeps the light from escaping and by reflecting it back, the outside plants gets more light and grows faster. Without these, the middle plants would always grow twice as fast but with this, they grow about the same rate as the outside plants are now getting more light. These aren't needed for regular plants but for finicky or picky plants, they help out a lot.

Rate and Discover Movies