1,084 Reviews

Published 12 months ago by D. Buxman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but title should read BASED on true and untold stories
First of all, I liked the book. It pointed out little known incidents in American History that were very interesting. I now feel that I have some basic understanding of some stories of which I was unaware. Good, quick read that is well written and entertaining.
Published 11 months ago by Robert

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating American History: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly., November 19, 2013
I was never a Glenn Beck fan in the past, but after being impressed with his book on gun control, I decided to order this title and I have to say it is terrific. This is American History told in a dramatic fashion, with some degree of fictionalization, but backed up with great research. Given Beck's background, you might expect this to be pro-American propaganda, but the book covers both bright and dark aspects of our history so that we can actually learn from our successes and our failures. The account of the Massacre at Wounded Knee is absolutely heart breaking and I hope it energizes the campaign to have the twenty Congressional Medals of Honor that were awarded for this crime revoked. Other chapters highlight the things that make America great. I hope that there are sequels in the works, because this book is what history is all about. Glenn Beck and the other authors and researchers did a great job of making history come to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids are hooked!, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Miracles and Massacres: True and Untold Stories of the Making of America (Hardcover)
I loaded the book onto my kindle last night. Announced to the children that it was "Story Time!"... Met eagerly by the 9 and 10 year olds, and with eye rolls from the 12, 14 and 15 year olds. We sat and I started to read the first story, of Captian John "Jack" Jouett. Within a couple of paragraphs, the olders had filed in to the room and were listening intently. Glued, my youngest stopped me after a couple of pages, to double check that this really happened!
It's important to me to be able to relate the history of our nation to my children in a way that they will remember it. Some of the stories are a little bit longer with vocabulary that isn't quite as easy for the littles to understand, but I'm confident as we read and re-read the stories, they will come to appreciate the lessons they contain.
In answer to some of the comments bringing the ratings down, it honestly doesn't matter to me whether Glenn Beck personally wrote this book or not. The stories are great, and my family is hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 STARS!!! OUTSTANDINGLY GREAT READ IF YOU LOVE HISTORY AND WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT AMERICA'S FOUNDING!!, November 19, 2013
After purchasing this book as a Christmas gift, I began perusing the pages and before I knew it I was reading a book I couldn't put down! I've since finished the book and ordered a second copy to replace the gift I eventually decided to keep for myself. Thank you Mr. Beck for such an EXCELLENT book on our country's history. I've always loved history (mainly military history) and learning more about those events surrounding the founding of the greatest nation on Earth. Every year people risk their lives to come to America (how many countries can say that?) and yet it seems our schools teach so little about American history - and what they do teach sadly has less to do with our history and more to do with revisionism and political agenda.

On a side note, I read some of the "reviews" of this book, and many are not reviews at all - which is the PURPOSE of the forum - but are instead personal attacks on Mr. Beck as an individual. What is it these people are so afraid of that they have to take the time to log onto Amazon and attack a man's personal reputation over a book they haven't even read? My only guess is they fear Mr. Beck as a man of strong faith, and for these types of people "God" is a dirty word. There are those who won't rest until they've stripped God from every facet of our society - all in the name of "free thinking"!! The radical left loves to preach "inclusion" and "sensitivity" and "personal freedoms" as long as it is being applied to that which fits their narrow agenda. But when it comes to the rights of Christians, then all talk of "inclusion", "sensitivity" and "personal freedom" goes out the window. They feel less than 2% of our population has a right to impose a (lack of) belief system on the other 98% of the population. Hypocrisy runs abounds with the leftist subversives who crave power and authority and growth of government because, after all is said and done, it is all about imposing THEIR RESTRICTIONS on OUR FREEDOMS!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Entertaining, and Educational, November 22, 2013
This review is of the Audiobook version of Miracles and Massacres.

Overall, this is an excellent publication.

I am not a fan of history as taught in schools - rote memorization of names, dates, locations. What the history classes lack is the real reason why we study history: For the stories. Stories that teach us not just "who, when, and where" but also the "how" and the "why". I had only one history teacher in school that presented history as more than just a list of names and dates; I learned far more in that history class than all of the others combined. Not only did I learn about history, but I learned about morality, consequences, and very difficult choices.

Miracles and Massacres reminds me of that high school history teacher. Here is well researched history presented in an engaging, entertaining way. You will hear the dates, yes, but they are of secondary importance to everything else. The chain of events is given center stage here. The decisions that are made, why the figures of history made them, and what the consequences were.

This is how history should be taught in order to prevent ourselves from repeating it. If you yourself are generally turned off by history, or if you have a child in school that can't stand the class, try Miracles and Massacres and see if that changes your mind. I will be buying a copy as a Christmas gift for me niece.

For those who have bought this publication and are enjoying it, I also recommend looking into the "Hardcore History" podcast series by Dan Carlin. They are very similar in nature, and Dan does an exceptional job of being very fair and presenting a very human perspective to history. The history in Miracles and Massacres is all American, and it shows us at our very best and at our very worst.

Glenn and Dan should get together. The result would be phenomenal.

The only reason I rated this four stars is that the Audiobook narrator does very poor accents. It was a bit distracting. When he uses his natural voice however, the reading is quite good.

Also, there was no booklet or track listing included with the compact discs. If you want to find a particular story you will be unable to do so. Here is a track listing:

Disc 1:

2. The My Lai Massacre, Part 3
3. The Missing 9/11 Terrorist, Part 1
4. The Missing 9/11 Terrorist, Part 2
5. Closing / Simon and Schuster Advertisement

Once you start, you will have a very hard time stopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, True, Short Stories For Young And Old, November 19, 2013
Chip P. (Corona del Mar, California) - See all my reviews
Mine just arrived. I opened it and began reading the first story; about Capt. John "Jack" Jouett; "The Paul Revere of the South."

I just finished the story of Capt. Jack Jouett, it was great because it is true and about the great actions of an ordinary man.

The potential for greatness is in all of us. A few get the chance to actually do something great. But only some of those who are given the chance will fulfill our potential to greatness with a great act.

This is a awe filling book, about successes to greatness, and failures from greatness.

The stories are short, even read aloud, maybe 10 to 30 minutes each.

Though the stories are short in length, they are long on humanity, meaning, history, and what we can be...if we will just act!

5.0 out of 5 stars MIRACLES AND MASSACRES: AN OVERVIEW!, November 19, 2013
Miracles and Massacres: True and Untold Stories of the Making of America by Glenn Beck is a retelling of known and little-known stories of history as we have never heard before. It is a gigantic project undertaken by the #1 bestselling author with Kevin Balfe and Hannah Beck, along with writers James Best, Jack Henderson, David Pietrusza, Anthony J. Tata, and Jason Wright. Keith Malinak, Kevin Smith, and Martha Weeks are the other contributors, researchers and editors of this book.

The book is a compilation of twelve life-changing events in the history of United States of America, written in a remarkably wonderful way that is both truthful and thrilling. The stories are not only true stories, but amazing and unique stories, stories that are meant to captivate the heart, uplift and educate.

The first story in Miracles and Massacres: True and Untold Stories of the Making of America is entitled Jack Jouett: The Ride That Saved America. It is a story that starts in June 3, 1781. The last story in the book is The Missing 9/11 Terrorist: The Power of Everyday Heroes, a story we all thought we knew so well, a story that happened on September 11, 2001. But you'll be surprised.

Other thrilling, inspiring and informative chapters include Shay's Rebellion: A Loud and Solemn Lesson, The Virginia Convention: Compromising for the Constitution, The Barbary War: A Steep Price for Peace, Edison vs Westinghouse: An Epic Struggle for Power, The Battle of Wounded Knee: Medals of Dishonor, Easy Eddie & the Hard Road to Redemption, The Saboteurs: In a Time of War, the Laws are Silent, Who is Tokyo Rose?, The Battle of Athens: Repeated Petitions, Repeated Injuries, and The My Lai Massacre: A Light in the Darkness.

In his inimitable style, Glenn Beck writes that all the stories can be put into one of three categories: "The good guys win; the good guys win, but it takes a while; or the good guys lose because people put their trust into politicians instead of each other."

It is a compelling read not exactly intended to shock and awe you, but to show the essence of the American way of life, according to the gospel of Glenn Beck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but title should read BASED on true and untold stories, December 28, 2013
However, listing this book as "History" is incorrect. This is much like a Hollywood film that states, "Based on a true story." We all know that it is usually loosely based or it would be a documentary based on facts. That is this book. Just before the notes section in the back of the book, the author makes three statements: 1) We sometimes modified quotations for clarity; 2) In some cases we imagined characters or scenes; 3) Dialogue and character thoughts were often imagined based on the historical record. Now correct me if I am wrong, but two of these self proclaimed statements should qualify this as "Historical Fiction."
I noticed all through the book thoughts and imagined conversations that I was skeptical about how would Glenn Beck know that. When checking out the notes on one of the stories is when I came across the "disclaimer." I don't think history comes with a disclaimer.
I would recommend this book to someone interested in a broad spectrum of historical vignettes about the United States, but not to someone who wanted in depth factual, historical value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully more to come, November 19, 2013
Filled with fascinating stories, Miracles and Massacres, will enlighten you to history you never could've imagined. Some of the brightest and darkest moments of America in the making.
From the revolution to 9/11 you'll be asking yourself over and over "how did I not know about this?"

I recommend it to anyone interested in history and truth. Good or bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, Mr. Beck!, November 19, 2013
A very excellent read. As a fan, student and teacher of history, this book is great! This book is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars True History....PERIOD., November 20, 2013
Mr. Steven K. Cooper (Bristol, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Awesome story telling of true history, not lame stream revisionist crap. Couldn't put it down till I finished it. Worth it for sure.

Miracles and Massacres: True and Untold Stories of the Making of America