4.0 out of 5 stars Some good tools
I have mixed feelings about this book but all in all, I'm glad to have it.

First, I think the title may be misleading. Its content is not about what most people think of as miracles.

Published 3 months ago by Patti Foy

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend it
Published 4 months ago by tracey

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend it, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Miracles Now: 108 Life-Changing Tools for Less Stress, More Flow, and Finding Your True Purpose (Hardcover)
I was so excited to read this book but I was really disappointed by it. My biggest peeve with this book is that the author asks for the reader to tweet or post about it after every chapter using a hashtag #miraclesnow which feels very unauthentic; I feel disconnected from the book because I feel the author is more concerned about self promotion. I'm hoping that isn't her intention, bit still...I'm
just not feeling it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good tools, May 20, 2014
Patti Foy (Jemez, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I have mixed feelings about this book but all in all, I'm glad to have it.

According to the Oxford dictionary, a miracle is "A surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency. The miracle of rising from the grave."

But just so you can see the contrast, the author says you'll experience " ... positive inner and outer shifts. Each shift is a miracle."

She includes helpful quotes from A Course in Miracles (which IS about miracles IMHO, although also not as defined by the Oxford dictionary). However, taken out of context and standalone they don't have the same effect as when you're actually a student of the course.

So while I do think that calling what she offers in this book "miracles" is an extreme overstatement, the subtitle is very much in line with what it offers: less stress, more flow, and finding your true purpose (although there's not much directly about purpose).

>> Content

I didn't find this book to be really profound or deep or even radical if that's what you're looking for. But for what it is, I think it can be useful.

Most of the tools are related to working with energy. They seem subtle, yet because they work at a deeper level, they can have more impact and their effects can be expansive.

I think for the mainstream it might be a nice, gentle lead-in to acknowledging the idea that energy itself is something to be considered and worked with and played with and that we can take advantage of our knowledge and use of in our everyday lives, in practical terms. That it's not just a far-out woo-woo kind of idea.

Included are a lot of tools that can help physiologically with moods and "raising vibes".

It depends on where you are with being exposed to things like this, but majority of these tools I've seen or heard of before. They include practices such as smile, hug someone, use a God box, be willing to say "no", and focus on the positive instead of the negative, etc.

Many are the kinds of tools you can find on the internet. Just search on a term and find them all over on blogs. Even so, it is nice to have these all together in a book.

And many I have NOT seen before.

She does give you crash-courses in kinesiology, tapping, yoga nidra (complete with a downloadable audio but it's very short), kundalini yoga, some guided meditations and meditation techniques.

NOTE: My disappointment at the yoga nidra audio made me appreciate even more the wonderful yoga nidra CD I have and very much enjoy. It's "Yoga Nidra Cat Naps" (by Debbie Jensen-Grubb) and I highly recommend it! (FYI, yoga nidra is a specific type of guided meditation where just 1 hour equals about 4 hours of sleep. It's amazing.)

>> Resources

I appreciate that she backs up a lot of what she says with data and also has quite a few references to other resources.

She makes her own related resources available to you -- these are mainly how-to's and audio versions of exercises -- but it turns out that very few of the downloads are free and there's one video that can be watched online but not downloaded.

Most of the videos she mentions are accessed via a package you can buy from her site.

>> Time Investment and Effectiveness

Many of these tools take a decent amount of time/focus to do them, so you'll need to make a commitment and be willing to invest some time.

Any one may affect you in a unique way such that it can make a big and positive difference. For example, one is about introspection, getting things on paper and looking at things that you might not typically take the time to make a note of and decide to address. Another one encourages you to feel your feelings directly; to go through the process of fully feeling them and allowing them to pass through you as you watch and experience them.

She often explores reasons why you might have difficulty following through with some of these, which helps give you some insights into your own self.

>> How to Use the Book

Most of the tools are not just ideas or concepts but practices or exercises. Toward the end she encourages you to choose one to practice for 40 days, for a lasting change.

"I believe in adding up subtle shifts. I also believe in repetition. There's no need to push, control, or force anything to happen. Trust that real change occurs subtly over time."

She also gives what she calls quick exercises to give you relief. Many are related to certain issues you might experience infrequently, and it seems to me that those are tools you would NOT practice regularly.

But because this book addresses an odd assortment of topics -- and some to use regularly and some to give quick relief -- I think it might be a little hard to use.

I think it could benefit a lot from an index. Not all the tool names are descriptive of all that they address. It would be great to be able to look up whichever tools are relevant to whatever topic you want to work with.

A few of the index references could be (for example): indecision, forgiveness, prayer(s), relationship, accessing intuition, fear, abundance, synchronicity, sleep.

On the other hand, if you want to play with trust, intuition, or guidance (also topics of several of the tools), then take some of her suggestions to heart:

"This book is not designed for you to do all at once. It's a self-study curriculum. Trust your intuition and let your inner voice lead you to the exercises that are best for you at this time."

OR

"Whenever you're stuck, open the book to any page and trust that your inner guide has led you to the perfect exercise."

Ultimately, it seems to me this book can help you live more consciously, resulting in less stress and more flow. That is, if you're willing to use the tools!

Note: I received this book for free from Hay House Publishing for review purposes and this review reflects my honest evaluation.

[All quotes from Miracles Now by Gabrielle Bernstein, except where noted.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful book!, April 9, 2014
This book helped me realize that I can make simple shifts on a daily basis that can have big impact in my life. Most of us are so busy, especially these days. I appreciate how this book is laid out and written so that I can pick it up, open to any chapter, and get a specific and tangible technique to use to help lower my stress level and connect me with what truly matters! Thank you Gabby...this book is a real gift!

2.0 out of 5 stars No So Much, June 12, 2014
A lot of the ideas and thoughts are a repeat of Marianne Williamson's "A Course of Miracles". If you like this information I would suggest purchasing her books as they are much better. Some of the information was so basic and obvious, I could have written it. Also, the request to tweet at the end of chapters was annoying as I felt like I was asked to promote her book on her behalf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracles Now is a Must Read, April 9, 2014
I absolutely love the concepts that Ms. Bernstein writes about here. As a leader in talks from The Course in Miracles, Gabby's answers to the four questions: What will you have me do? Where will you have me go? What will you have me say? And to Whom? are answered in an easy to read fun tweetable guide.

Julie Angelos
jbulie's blog

5.0 out of 5 stars Tools for Miracles in Your Life Now, April 10, 2014
Denice "DJS" (Boise, ID, United States) - See all my reviews
Simple practices to open your life to the wonder possibilities God intended for you. The world is available to each of us when we release, visualize and allow. This books gives you the tools to accomplish everything spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally and materially. You are a Miracle NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars practical and easy to understand spiritual lessons, April 30, 2014
Tim Larison (Littleton, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
I received a complementary copy of this book from Hay House for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

When I attended Hay House’s recent I Can Do It conference in Denver I was browsing Gabrielle Bernstein’s “Miracles Now: Tools for Less Stress, More Flow, and Finding Your True Purpose” at the bookstore. “I was so hoping to hear Gabby speak today,” said a woman in her 20′s next to me, disappointed that Bernstein’s appearance at the conference had been cancelled. “Gabby is reaching the younger generation with her message,” she said. Having listened to Bernstein’s Hay House radio program in the past I said, “I like her, too, and I’m old!” But I had never read any of Bernstein’s books. Until now.

Miracles Now does indeed appeal to the young and old with its practical, easy to understand spiritual lessons. Divided into 108 short chapters (most one or two pages), I liked reading a few pages after my morning meditation, and a few more in the evening before going to bed. Bernstein, very much in tune with social media, has a inspirational quote at the end of each chapter just perfect to summarize the topic and to share with your twitter followers. I sent out on my twitter feed the ones that had the most impact on me, such as:

“People who value themselves attract people who value them, too.” — Kate Northrup #MiraclesNow
The key to getting what you want is to ASK FOR IT. #MiraclesNow
I surrender my desires & I know the Universe has my back. #MiraclesNow
You don’t need to find your purpose.Your purpose will find you. #MiraclesNow

Is twitter not your thing? You can “pin it, post it to Facebook, or pass it along on Instagram” instead, says Gabby.

In the lessons she shares Bernstein draws from two primary sources: insights from A Course In Miracles and from her Kundalini yoga practice. In my experience A Course In Miracles can be difficult to understand on your own. Bernstein explains it in simpler terms. The Course “is a metaphysical self-taught curriculum based on the principle that when we choose love over fear we experience miraculous change,” she says. The Kundalini exercises were new to me and most were easy to follow (this old guy didn’t try the one where Gabby recommends standing on your head for one minute, however :-) )

Bernstein’s practical and straight forward spiritual exercises reminded me of the writing of Louise Hay – Gabby is that good. “When you are called to share the spiritual awareness you now have, don’t hesitate to speak up. Be the lighthouse. In your light, others will become illuminated,” Bernstein concludes in the final pages. Reading Miracles Now gave me encouragement to spread my own light, as well as a bevy of simple spiritual tools for me to use now and in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, April 8, 2014
Fantastic book! I fell in live with it from the very first page. Gabby knows how to draw you in and call on those miracles. Highly recommend esp when you need something to soothe your soul fast!

5.0 out of 5 stars The kind of book you should always carry with you, April 11, 2014
Paola Perez (Mar del Plata, Argentina) - See all my reviews
This is the kind of book you should always carry with you. 108 tools, but not just tools, this are empowering inspirational quotes with the intention to create change in your life. Carrying this book with you will help you in so many ways. If you feel down, if you feel stress about something or someone, just open it anywhere and it will help you. Ghandi said «be the change you want to see in the world» if you are here reading this lines is because you are suppose to. I am an Argentinean woman who believes in You! I Believe you can change, I Believe you can find happiness, and this tools will help you do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Read, Easy Changes, April 27, 2014
Miracles Now, by Gabrielle Bernstein, is a down-to-earth quick read on how to de-stress and improve your day-to-day life. Comprised of 108 short chapters on topics ranging from “No Is A Complete Sentence” to “Value Yourself And The World Will Value You”, this book can be read all at once, daily or on a need-guidance basis. Gabrielle Bernstein writes with complete honesty and self-disclosure, keeping it real. That she admits to her own spiritual shortcomings is a sign that she is like the people she writes for: continually working on herself and her habits.

The teachings and practices shared in this book are based heavily on A Course in Miracles and Kundalini practices (the latter of which, Ms. Bernstein is a devotee). As an added, and creative bonus, every practice in the book has been written in such a way that it can be on social media and filed under #MiraclesNow.

If your deep into your spiritual journey, this book may not be filled with groundbreaking information or ideas for you. For this reason, I think it makes a great gift for someone is ready to embark on spiritual transformation. But even for me, someone who has been on this journey for some time, I found it full of helpful reminders—especially when it comes to some habits I have to instill (or erase) from my life.

$24.95 $14.96