Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mirage OMD-15 Floorstanding Speaker (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 14, 2010
I have just recently completed the 100 hour burn-in and would like to give my impressions this early as I believe it certainly deserves 5 stars even now. I have connected it to a variety of equipment to test synergy and also see how far it can scale with better dac, amp, etc. The best gear I connected to it was this setup: audio-gd power filter, ref 3, dac9mk3, fbi-500, and decent cables and no weak links, using fast electronic music to test speed and detail, opera music for soundstaging.

These speakers are natural sounding, and mildly/moderately forgiving/unrevealing of equipment and recordings.

Soundstage is less direct/narrowly focused compared to normal speakers, the massive diffusion of sound is its main strong point.

Detail is ALMOST reference level, meaning used in a regular two speaker setup you don't quite get the whole picture of the music or movie. The main shortcoming is it does not do 30hz or below so some pianos sound incomplete, some deep voices miss some lower frequency nuances, rumbles in movies sound slightly off and lose a little impact. But any ambience above 35hz suffuses the whole room.

Speed is acceptable for the MSRP, excellent for the <$1000 street price. Rapid electronic music is done fine except at the highest dynamic crescendos.

Placement is vitally important, and should be tweaked until the soundstage size is perfectly sized. You MUST follow the placement advice as the starting point. Once properly placed, there is a huge "sweet-spot" area you can walk around in and the sound will still sound very good.

For $1000 a pair, they are excellent in all fields. The weakest point is it is "good" in detail, not exceptional, especially in lower bass. If you love a more directed or narrow field of sound, you may not like the presentation of the omd15. Omd15 is about suffusing the whole room, but it does direct sound toward the listener more than older dipolar mirages. I would say they are right in the middle of dipolar and conventional speakers in terms of direct/reflected sound ratio. Dipolar sounds like ~80 reflected, 20% direct, omnipolar sounds like ~60% reflected, 40% direct, conventional sounds like 40% reflected, 60% direct.
on December 27, 2006
Well I just got a pair of OMD-15's yesterday, the day after Christmas 2006 and Santa Didn't let me down! I've been living with my Current Infinity Kappa 600's for the last 6 or so years, and their still my standard for the time being, but these Drop Dead Gorgeous Black Beauties just might keep the Kappa's in the Closet for awhile!

Now I'm a pretty seasoned middle income Audiophile and I've only had these for a day now, and I know the manual says your supposed to 'Break' them in for at least 100 hours before you do any critical "optimising" or critical listening, yeah whatever. If a speaker sounds crappy out of the box, it's going to sound crappy after 100 hours, but after initial placement going along with Mirage's recomendations, (6 feet apart, 3 feet from both side walls) I popped in Johnny A's 'Get Inside' and the sound that poured out of these things, even at moderate levels to start out with, not only matched the detail of the Kappa's but the 'liquidity' of the midrange shocked me!!

It's still going to take some getting used to looking at 5&1/2" woofers and hearing what's actually coming out of these rather slender speakers, but I'm going to be running them behind a pair of powered 10" subwoofers (if I can get them to properly 'mate', if not, I'll have to pack em up and send them back to Crutchfield, which are GREAT people to deal with!) so overpowering the small woofers shouldn't be an issue. But that being said, the low end reproduction, while it won't cave in your chest, it is very impressive for a design of this size! Very clean extension on the low end!! I still wish Mirage could have used 7" bass drivers and they still would have had room on the front baffle. For $2500.00/Pr. I keep thinking there should be more.... more of what, I don't know. The sound of these baby's tell me, 'there's your $2500', but The Kappa's only cost me $1600.00 for the pair and although their a front firing design, they sound every bit 'high end', plus their hand made real wood cabinet is a work of art. But so Is the OMD-15's!.....

When I got the boxes and saw on them 'Made In China' I was honestly bummed! (Plus this is the second pair of Mirages I've auditioned and in both instances the cheap styrofoam (the old kind that breaks into all those small bits that stick to everything and are a BITCH to clean) that their using as braces were broken to pieces even though the boxes were only mildly dented. There are many other styrofoam type packing materials they could use instead that wouldn't have this problem. But again, for a speaker that goes for $1250, it gave me a negative impression.

But then when I took off the protective layer around the speaker, Good Lord!!!!! Stunning, Piano Gloss Black beauties and I must say that the actual speaker build seems to be very very solid and high quality. So time will tell. But right now I'm Loving them, God their Gorgeous and they sound close to Reference. Are they worth the $? I'll post an update in a week or so when I'll have made my mind up as to whether they have a permanent home or if they go back....But in any event, Mirage has a come out with a very Impressive compact mini tower speaker that out of the box, sounds Damned impressive!!!

Gerry Masters 12/27/06
on March 29, 2015
These are incredible speakers ! I got them at $399.00 and consider myself very lucky. I have been eyeing some Martin Logan Motion 40's but these are so dang good, I can't justify spending more money. I just don't think I can get better speakers without going way up in price.

I have mine bi-amped with a Yamaha RX840 receiver and legend speaker cables. Paired with a Martin Logan center and sub.

I noticed they are almost gone and even at $699.00, good luck finding something better !
on March 20, 2015
Super fantastic speaker!! There is nothing else that compares to this speaker at this price. Period.
The finish and construction are very impressive and the sound is outstanding. And they are not even broken in yet! Too bad Klipsch bought Mirage and promptly discontinued them.
on June 26, 2014
I bought a pair of these at bargain prices to go with my nano-stat mirage system. Best investment ever. The sound is fantastic. The speakers are very sturdy as the boxes were practically in tatters when I received them.
on March 13, 2015
Wow!!! I have a pair of Mirage OMD28 Rosewood and love it so much that I've decided to sell my os3 FS and purchased the OMD15. Man, talking about little brother borrowing technology from big brother, the omd15 don't mess around!! Despite its small size drivers: 5.5" mid with a 5.5" passive radiator and ONE 5.5" bass woofer, it hit very hard!!! The clarity is amazing!!!! Soundstage is phenomenal with lots of depth and range. My living room is basically a square set up with no obstruction whatsoever, so it's basically home for the Omnipolar to soar. The cabinet finish is flawless and the driver is made from titanium so it's very shiny and nice to look at. It actually pars up against my martin logan esl speaker!!!! Mirage ask that these speakers need ~100 hours of break in time, so I can't wait to hear how it sound after the break in period! I've read many review where people claim that it needed a subwoofer to accomandate and assist in bass performance of the omd15, I think differ. The bass is just perfect, even though I haven't fully broken it in yet but once I do it should rumble my living room wall. Same goes for my mirage os3 FS, many review claim that it lack of bass performance, my os3 FS indeed lack of bass when new but once I got about 90 hours into it, the mid and bass is very smooth. If you hear it, you won't think that those 4.5" woofers would hit that hard!!! So take it from me, not because I'm a mirage fan. I've own many other brand of speakers also, but you'll won't regretting buying these omd15 for music of movies!!!!
on December 16, 2015
These are incredible speakers. I have owned various brands through the years and these by far are my favorite to listen to. The highs are just something that must be heard to fully understand how great they are.
The lows are clean and tight. A must buy
on May 9, 2014
Finally I can stop searching for speakers. Surprisingly tight bass from a ported design, very articulate in the mids and treble.
on April 11, 2015
Speakers performed as described.
on January 24, 2016