Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mirror
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on April 15, 2013
I'm a big Charles Lloyd fan and have been since Forest Flower. His long hiatus was justly deserved and obviously well spent considering his magnificent output since returning in the early 90's. I've followed his music closely but this release just doesn't do it for me. As a professional jazz woodwind player myself, I have VERY strong ideas about tenor vs. alto playing. I find Charles' tenor playing fresh, invigorating, original, deeply and spiritually expressive. His alto playing sounds like he's just playing tenor on a different instrument, not "alto" per se. Alto/tenor is an extremely rough double which is why there aren't many players who do it: very few people do it well. Besides Dick Oats and Chris Potter, I don't really know of many others except for some very fine session and Broadway players who are not doing solo projects (Dave Tofani, John Purcell and a some others come to mind}. Anyway, the band is on this recording marvelous and the arrangements are fresh. Great production but I think that Charles needs to reconsider his own alto playing. Just my opinion so don't crucify me!
on June 5, 2011
Frankly, I'm surprised at the adulation this recording has received. It is nice enough but hardly innovative and is mostly ballad like dominated by the sax with the rest of the group being the rythym section. Rabo de Nube, the group's previous recording is one of my favorites, and I was disappointed with this offering, expecting something much more exciting. Maybe 3 1/2 stars but I've bought at least a dozen better jazz cds this year.