5.0 out of 5 stars One of Masterton's best
Mirror, a horror novel originally published in the late 80s, is one of Masterton's finest. The story is top notch, well-crafted, and well-delivered. When TOR was publishing horror novels on a monthly basis, you could always look forward to a new Masterton title at least once a year.
Published on March 9, 2002 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Upon reflection, "Mirror" was Bad !!!!!!!
Published 14 months ago by JayGreg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Masterton's best, March 9, 2002
Amazon Customer (Huntsville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror (Paperback)
The story centers around an fan obsessed with a child star who was murdered fifty years in the past, at the age of eight. The fan was so devoted to keeping the memory of the child star alive that he writes a musical based on the child's life. However, Hollywood has no takers for filming it.
The fan later discovers that some of items belonging to the child are available for sale. He purchases a mirror, later discovering that the child is still "alive" in the mirror. Later, when things take a turn for the worse, the fan discovers the truth behind the child's presence in the mirror. Then the real terror begins...
If you can find a copy of this one, it would be well worth your time to read. If you can't, pick up one of Masterton's recent novels published by Dorchester Publications under the Leisure horror line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterton doesn't hold back, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Mirror (Paperback)
Mirror is a novel about a man fascinated with a deceased child star named Boofuls, who was brutally murdered. He purchases a mirror that once belonged to this star. Soon after buying it, he noticed strange things happening. He investigates and soon learns macabre details about Boofuls--details that have him realizing that the horror behind Boofuls' death is far from over.

Masterton is not a writer who is gentle. He does not let up on details and he does not gloss them over. The Mirror is delightfully creepy, particularly when crossing over into that mirror world. Ever since I read this story, I have read Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland with a more analytical eye, looking for the details Mirror references here.

This is one of Masterton's better stories. If you like being creeped out, check this one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, original, and nightmarish, February 28, 2001
Jim Lay (Knoxville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror (Hardcover)
This book earned Graham Masterton a place on my bookshelf next to King, McCammon, Straub, and Simmons; the masters of horror. Mirror is a brilliant, nightmarish novel about an evil child reaching out from the netherworld through an antique mirror. Hands down, it is one of the most gripping and entertaining horror novels I've ever read. If you consider yourself a fan of horror, seek this book out. Your collection has a huge gaping hole in it until you own a copy of this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down..., February 3, 2002
Farina (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror (Paperback)
Although I was utterly and completely terrified I found it very difficult to put down the book. I found it very interesting right from the beginning, very easy to read and always looked forward to picking it up again after I'd had a (well-deserved) break.
Very scary, and you will never look in any mirror the same again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mirror, June 13, 2006
Mirror,

What happens when you buy a piece of Hollywood memorabilia from a little old, innocent woman? Boofuls happens, that what.

This book was a great read. I usually find Graham Masterton to be hit or miss. This time he knocked it out of the ballpark.

This is a creepy tale about a murdered childhood actor who wants his life back, and a poor unsuspecting down on his luck screenwriter who holds the key.

The writing was simple, straightforward and to the point. This time around, Mr. Masterton kept me interested with every new page I turned. I do not find that to be the case with some of his other works. (I wont mention titles)

It seems Masterton had Alice in Wonderland on the mind when he wrote this one. (More like Alice in Demon Land.) Horror and fantasy elements fill this book; the alternate worlds separated by the mirror give it this affect.

If you have not read Graham Masterton, this would be a great one to start with. He rarely gets better than this. (He may have never written better than this.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarry scarry scarry book, November 13, 2002
This review is from: Mirror (Hardcover)
Masterton is my favorite writer, ever. I read this a few years ago in high school, and let me tell you, its one of his very best, and i havent been dissapointed with anything he wrote yet.
The child itself, from its werid name to how creepy it can be, is one major wacky character! And the cat-snake scene left me wondering wether i will ever be able to look at my own cat the same way again! This book kept me in suspence, and it was a smooth read, i totally recommend it to anyone who had 2 eyes and an ability to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best, July 10, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Mirror (Hardcover)
This was the first Graham Masterton book that I ever read and it is fantastic. The thin line between the innocent Alice adventures and the gothic horror which Masterton instills is without a doubt some of the most powerful writing ever published. The gore as always is only used to enhance the horror not overtake it, but it is the story which just makes this book the best out of all he has written. Fantastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Upon reflection, "Mirror" was Bad !!!!!!!, September 8, 2013
This review is from: Mirror (Kindle Edition)
I love a good horror book. I also think mirrors are a bit scary (especially if you stare at yourself in them. . . don.t act like i.m crazy. . . i know you know what i.m talking about). So you would think MIRROR by Masterton would be a great read for me. Unfortunately, this book was laughably bad!!! Wish I had my money back!!! I can only blame myself for lost time. I kept thinking the story would make sense if I read it all . . . this did not happen.

The story starts off good and creapy. Based on this auspicious beginning and all the great reviews, I bought the book. Martin, our hero, is a poor Holiwood screenwriter who is a collector and fan of the childstar named Boofuls. A male version of Shirley Temple from the 1930.s, Boofuls could sing, dance and mesmorise on the big screen with his beautiful blond curls. Anyway, Martin buys a huge guilded mirror -it once belonged to Boofuls and was hanging in parlor where Boofuls' grandmother chopped him into over 200 pieces.

So far, so good, right? . . . haunted mirror, dark, mysterious feelings, strange minor events. Then the storyline goes bad and then, worse and later, much more worse. Mirror reads like a screenplay for a D-rated movie you might see on Sci-Fi channel at 2 in the morning.

Spoiller alert: But read this part of my review because you don.t want to read Mirror anyway. When Lugosi, a sweet pet cat of Ramone.s (Ramone is Martin.s best friend), returned from the mirror as a cat-cobra, I started literally LOLing. And the explaination given for why Lugosi was a snakethingcat and why Martin and Ramone had to kill him was just ridiculous.

Then Eliot, Martin.s landlord.s grandkid, disappears into the mirror and Boofuls appears. Boofuls is alive nnd well and wants Martin to help him finish a musical he had started before his grandmother brutally murdered him. (what??? we find out later that granny killed the real Boofuls, but the mirror version lived on in mirrorworld. Mirrorworld is the opposite of our reality and where the parts of ourselves we hide from the world lives. . . i know, i didn.t get it either). Boofuls promises that he will let Eliot out in a few months after the premiere of his musical.

Next, priests and others, who try and help Martin, are all grotesquely killed (one priest was orally assualted and eaten from the "end-side-out" by Satan.s own phallus. . . I kid you not). The story continues with Martin and Ramone continuing to make stupid decisions instead of alerting someone who could help (the fbi, the military, the pope). They find out the evil mirror is to be instrumental in Satan.s reemergence (think Revelations) on earth, yet they still continue to believe Boofuls will go back into the mirror and let Eliot out.

So stupid, I know. I kept reading, hoping for an explanation to plot inconsistencies. As a side note, what does "Pickle nearest the wind" mean? That phrase was heard mysteriously and repeated by evil persons throughout book and i still have no clue as to what it signifies.

I could go on and on. Just don.t waste your money. Go to a library and borrow it if you want to laugh at how bad a horror book can be.

(review written on kindle 2. please excuse typos.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick! Take down all your mirrors!, September 19, 2000
This review is from: Mirror (Hardcover)
This book is one of the very few truly chilling books I've read. For me, it rates right up there with the best in horror. Character development is superb. The author creates a cast of people who could, quite literally, live next door to you - you develop an affinity with each member. You may wonder why I use the cinematographic terms... this book really draws you in, like a movie. (I'd cast someone like Ben Stiller as the male lead, and John Leguizamo as his side kick.) I watched this story, more than read it. The storyline doesn't lag once. It's written with pace, and as a commercial writer, I was impressed with the quality of his prose - the dialogue is natural, which is of paramount importance to me when I read novels. I'd love to give away the story but that'd be nasty. Suffice to say, I spend as little time as humanly possible looking in the mirror these days. It's a great read - get it if you can... if you dare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Twice before buying that old mirror......., August 21, 2005
Amer Mattar (Aloha, or United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror (Paperback)
I read this book a couple of years back and remember vivdly how downright freaky it is. The kid appears out of nowhere and wants to finish a movie that was started inthe 30's, but something is amiss when things began to happen. Make sure you cover your mirrors and that your back is to the wall.

This book has a atmosphere of dread around it and it is well written. A true demonic, ghost story where good vs evil is a constant.

Graham Masterton, once again, has proven himself in this book to be above and beyond all mortal horror writers! It is really sad that the U.S. do not recognize him much (do not publish his out of print books) and would rather recognize such <yawn> writers as Stephin King.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›