Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Beauty V-Day Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on November 11, 2007
I've loved the Lord of Isles books since they were first released and have purchased and read each book as it came out in hard back. The last book (first in the ending triology) greatly disapointed me and I was hesitant to pick this one up but decided to give Drake another chance. This book was definitly better than the previous, and was MUCH easier to read (took me a week rather than two months), but the same anoying flaws exist. There still is more action than development. The characters are no more explained than in previous books and the rehashing of what we already know to be true is PAINFUL! Still the plot was better and flowed better than most of the previous novels so that I was compelled to keep reading until the end. I will buy the last installment though I am largely skeptical that the series could be wrapped up in one book. There is way too much still hanging out there.
on July 11, 2008
I've read all of the Lord of the Isles + Crown of the Isles volumes over the last year. I've sort of enjoyed the character development and story lines, but am now ready for the saga to end. Mirror of the World is true to the format of all of the others: each key character has a sub-plot story that neatly wraps up and brings everyone back together at the end of the volume. I'm not a big fan of this style because it prevents deep development of any one of the characters; still, I'm invested and looking forward to the final book in the series, to see how it all ends.
on October 3, 2007
Nobody's going to mistake this for Grand Literature To Last Through The Ages, but at least the author understands what brings readers to the fantasy genre. We want more than women folding their arms and pulling on their hair.
on November 7, 2013
This being a re-read of the series about 10 years later I'm amazed at how I've enjoyed the authors imagination and story telling. Generally 2 maybe 3 books in a series is about all I want but each story blend with the next while keeping me interested. I thought the main characters were developed and explained well. You do have to read the entire page or chapter to get into flow of the story you can get left out and confused by skipping around like I'm sometimes guilty of. I'm actually having to rebuy the books since I donated them some years ago that is a recommendation in itself the cheapskate that I am. Being a big fan of David Eddings I find this series equally good with my highest recommendation.
on November 1, 2009
If you like characters with integrity rather than loose assemblages of neuroses, "Mirror of Worlds", the second in the Crown of the Isles series, may be for you.

I know people who like deeply dysfunctional characters because they justify those individuals own continuing decline. I've been adventurous places and done adventurous things. I can say with authority that when in a camp of armed revolutionary communists in Iraq, exploring my translator's suicidal tendencies never appealed to me as character development in real life. I suppose some folks disagree, but I suspect they've never done hard things in dangerous places. David Drake has done hard things in dangerous places and writes interesting characters who make good and bad choices in those situations. The results of those choices are not always predictable, because often bad things happen to good people, but Drake's logic is sound and his situations are quite compelling.

A feature of many fantasy series is the tedious tendency to make the great destiny prophesied by the oracle of...who the hell cares...the driving force of document. Right now David Eddings could offer me $500 to read another of his novels and I'd tell him to pound sand. (For a grand, maybe...I'm not cheap, but I can be had. That still wouldn't get him a decent review if it was another "Tediousdestiniad".) David Drake writes character driven stories. The extraordinary events are terrain the characters make a path through, not rings in the noses of cattle being driven along a set path. Some people aren't comfortable with that kind of responsible behavior. Those people shouldn't stray far from home and rarely accomplish much of lasting value in changing times, because destiny fails to uphold their prejudices. David Drake's work is worth taking with you abroad and while in difficult situations.

In "Mirror of Worlds" Drake throws his characters into a another set of astonishing hardships where they interact with another set of fascinating supporting characters. What is most amazing is that this is the eighth book in the series and the situations and characters are altogether different and still feel fresh. Kore the Ogre is entirely different than Beard the Axe from "Goddess of the Ice Realm"; although both have disquieting hungers and anti-social tendencies, they are quite different disquieting hungers and anti-social tendencies.

"Lord of the Isles/Crown of the Isles" is the fifth major series of David Drake's that I've read in the last twenty years. His literary integrity and appreciation of integrity his characters show has been a comfort to me in hard times in every ocean on the globe. Other authors who cheated me I have put down their work and never read another new product of theirs (Paging Mr. Eddings, paging Mr. David Eddings...please pick up the "you'll never get another dime of mine, you hack" telephone...). David Drake continues to keep the faith and deliver stories and characters worth investing yourself in.

Thank you, David.
on February 28, 2013
The story is great, the creative mythologies are wonderful, but if you are offended by poor editing, don't get this version. There are so many references to Prince Carrie that there should be a Sex In The City tie in.

Someone needs to update their resume.
on January 21, 2015
Boring! Throughout the whole book, spend an excessive amount of time developing character backgrounds you already know about from previous books in series. Lots of filler! Can't recommend. And enough already with references to Barka's Hamlet. Good God!
on October 17, 2012
Hello

Another good book in this series. The characters really come alive and the story keeps you coming back for more - or keeps you from putting the book down.
on October 15, 2014
This entire saga is terrific, unless you're not into Fantasy. I've read all the books at least twice so far.
on June 11, 2015
What can I say? David Drake consistently writes excellent sagas!